Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone have a favorite piece of email software for the Harrier platforms? Like something maybe that has a section for the SMTP server authorization unlike Bill's small narrow-minded little outlook clone?

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
  2.    #2  
    Web IS Mail 2.0. Works, separate SMTP authentication section, can use vzwmail.net smtp outbound. 15 day trial. Not cheap at $24-25 bucks, but maybe the answer.

Bob Duckworth
  3. frh
    I'll probably have to look it up in the manual, but I think I read something about Outlook deleting a message on the server if I download it to read it on my VX 6600. That's totally unacceptable. A pda device should allow me to preview an email message, save it if it's important, and leave the server alone.

I saw something about an add-on program that would allow a bcc to of each message sent from the pda to also go to the inbox on the desktop so a permanent record would be available.

The problem is I've had so many problems with the phone in the week I had it that I'm just guessing about software. My experience with email is that after setting it up, it told me the set-up failed. The next day, it told me I had 88 unread messages. I've been afraid to look at any of them. Rick
    Pocket Outlook doesn't delete messages on my server. I use it all the time.
    Desktop outlook will, if you don't check "Leave copy of email on server."

I'll have to try Bob's suggestion of Web IS. I'm not too crazy about P Outlook. It doesn't give me all the flexibility the desktop version gives.

I also want to try ThunderHawk browser. I'm told it is beter than P-IE
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH

I also want to try ThunderHawk browser. I'm told it is beter than P-IE
    I should try it as well. I understand that access is about $50 per year for their service. Many have reported it worked well, though some have had problems with it. Let us know what you think.

Bob Duckworth
  6.    #6  
    Well, it appears that WebIS Mail 2.0 is NOT a good solution. It works and then it doesn't work. Pretty buggy to date. One big problem is that it drops the "TO" addresses in an outbound email before sending the email out. Haven't yet figured that one out. Will poke more.

Bob Duckworth
  7.    #7  
    Interesting discovery: Reading some of the forum posts on WebIS Mail 2.0, I discovered that one guy said that the trick around the port 25 blocks that ISP's often put on their outbound SMTP servers is to set the program to check POP3 inbound first and then connect to the ISP's SMTP server. Apparently this indicates to the system that you are an authorized user and allows access to the SMTP server. I just tried it on my Cox account and it worked. Don't know if it will keep working, but it did work.

If you are poking around this email program, under services, go to the account you want to modify, enter the SMTP address of your ISP (usually "smpt.yourisp.com or net") then tap the outgoing tab and then tick the "Authentication required" box and go to "settings". There, tick the "check incoming mail before sending" setting and save your changes.

Try sending yourself a test message and let us know if it works for you.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Rd, will this work with IMAP too?

Answered my own question. No. Can't send in webismail. I can with inbox. Before my hard reset, I could send easily... don't know what's up.
    Last edited by Swap; 02/12/2005 at 08:29 AM.
    Thanks for all the info....I have been considering giving WebIsMail a try and I think I will.

I will let you know what I think or discover as well.

BTW...hi Swap....I just noticed two messages I overlooked from you while I was on vacation 3 weeks ago....is it too late to answer them?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    And I thought you didn't love me anymore. ;-)

I can't even remember the questions. One was about the piel frama, right? Nah, worked it out.
    But if you can get outgoing imap out of webis mail, let me know. Had it before hard reset, now nada. I never thought hard reset would turn out to be such a pain in the a*s.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Thanks for all the info....I have been considering giving WebIsMail a try and I think I will.

I will let you know what I think or discover as well.

BTW...hi Swap....I just noticed two messages I overlooked from you while I was on vacation 3 weeks ago....is it too late to answer them?
    Be prepared: Buggy. It seems to drop the "TO" addresses under circumstances I haven't yet defined. Sometime the SMTP link works, sometime it doesn't.

Nice user interface, it looks just like outlook. Now if they could work the bugs out so it is reliable.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Be prepared: Buggy. It seems to drop the "TO" addresses under circumstances I haven't yet defined. Sometime the SMTP link works, sometime it doesn't.

Nice user interface, it looks just like outlook. Now if they could work the bugs out so it is reliable.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Please let us know if you work out the dropped "To" addresses in emails - I have the same problem. I sent tech support a question about this, will keep you posted if I heara anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubya
    Please let us know if you work out the dropped "To" addresses in emails - I have the same problem. I sent tech support a question about this, will keep you posted if I heara anything.
    A follow-up:

I just installed WebIS 2.1 Beta3 and this problem is solved.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...showtopic=6466
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubya
    A follow-up:

I just installed WebIS 2.1 Beta3 and this problem is solved.

http://www.pocketinformant.com/Forum...showtopic=6466
    I'm trying that beta as well. I was going to post the cab file here, but I think it is too big.

Haven't yet used it extensively, but I hope you are right. This is a nice piece of software and I wouldn't mind paying their asking price once its stable.

Bob Duckworth
    I stopped P-Outlook from picking up my POP email anymore. I have all my email consolidated at a personal email address through "Yahoo! Plus." I can do Web access with my PPC to keep it from getting loaded with hundreds of messages every week, or POP access to my laptop computer.

As for Thunderhawk I found that software to be buggy. It freezes, and its interface is not very friendly. So, now I'm shopping for a browser that can do better than P-IE. Any good and tested ones out there?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    How do you manage to do web acces with your ppc? I can't get mine to read the yahoo site, is there a wap verison?
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Anyone have a favorite piece of email software for the Harrier platforms? Like something maybe that has a section for the SMTP server authorization unlike Bill's small narrow-minded little outlook clone?

TIA,

Bob Duckworth
    Unfortunately, P Outlook is only great if your connecting to a 2003 Exchange server, which is how i use it, otherwise it does kinda blow. With an exchange server on the other end i've got calendar, contacts, and inbox constantly synched, any emails i want to keep i move into their respective client folders and they stay on my exchange server in those folders but are off my ppc, or I throw them into my "Keep in Mobile" folder if i need them on the road.
    This is the primary reason i wanted this device, and i have to say it has lived up to my expectations. Of course old Bill has geared the software this way, he envisions a world of MS Exchange....
    *sparks*
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    swap,
    for some reason yahoo has a problem with pie, its almost impossible to do searches using it. i gave up after a few tries.
    as for email, try mail.yahoo.com and hit the "try compatible yahoo" link. it should work, i just downloaded attachments last night
    sledgie

on a side note, there is another browser called NetFront. while it takes up about 5 megs and takes 4-5 seconds to load, also it doesn't use the 5 way as well as pie, it does have j2me and java apps/script. i used it a few times for web access to aol mail
    sledgie
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap
    How do you manage to do web acces with your ppc? I can't get mine to read the yahoo site, is there a wap verison?
    I can read both the wap and full HTML on mine. But here is the easier wap version:

http://ao.yahoo.com/wap

Once you're in Yahoo! You can sign in, click on email, and start reading. and replying
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    on a side note, there is another browser called NetFront. while it takes up about 5 megs and takes 4-5 seconds to load, also it doesn't use the 5 way as well as pie, it does have j2me and java apps/script. i used it a few times for web access to aol mail
    sledgie
    I've been trying NetFront 3.1 since last night. You're right, it is java enabled. However, I noticed it's slow in responding to URL's you type, and does not automatically import P-IE favorites. It compresses fonts so you can see more of the page on the PPC screen, while giving up resolution. Some pages I was able to get with P-IE don't wanna show on NetFront. But I'm still playing. So, I'll conclude whether NetFront is a POS or not in a couple of days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast