1.    #1  
    i am a 9 year veteran of palm OS that after being underwhelmed by specs on t650, jumped ship to the ppc6601 last November. HERE IS MY QUANDRY: the ppc6601, for all effective purposes, is the most CAPABLE (not best designed or featuring superior hard/software...that's a different discussion) smartphone sold in the US for the time being. i own one. i cannot function with the beep of death any longer. sprint has offered, due to the possibility that the 6600 will have the same flaws, to swap me for a t650. i ordered a treo 600 since the first day you could purchase it from telesales, before that i had a t300, i330, i300, kyo6035, and even the mother of them all, the PDQ. i believe that the t650 is overpriced, faulty and underspecced-HOWEVER-sprint stores and *2 know how to deal with it-unlike my 6601, whhich is most commonly referenced as "i've never seen that before" or "where did you get that?" when i take it to the sprint store to have it looked at for the BOD or wobbly keyboard. yesterday, i took it to a local store to have it "tested" and the stupid bastards there hard reset it. i was furious, but they insisted that all they did was "remove the battery". stupid lying inept techs shouldnt be allowed to "test" or "service" my phone if they dont know what the hell it is.

please, i seek the advice of your collective power-using minds...hope for the best with the 6601 or 6600-OR-accept the mass market dominance of the t650.
    How often are you getting the BOD? From what I have read, it is occurring less and less. For some, more than once every 50 calls is too much.

It sounds like from what you have described, I would take them up on the 650 deal. The problem that I think you'll find is that the 650 has its issues and limitations compared to the 6601/6600.

Either way, good luck.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    i get the BOD daily,,,but i do use the phone a lot. it looks realy bad when i'm constantly having to hang up, reset, and redial important contacts.-especially if they call from an inside MPX number and i have no call back number. i hear that the 650 has HUGE problems, though...any comments?
    Maybe give VZW a try?

If you really want a Harrier platform, aside from SPCS you have two decent choices - VZW - XV6600, or Cingular with their version (SV something or other). VZW has fast data - at a cost (and ony if you are in EVDO coverage areas. Standard VZW data is about like SPCS Vision in terms of speed). Cingular has GSM world coverage and slower (but less expensive data).

If you are wed to SPCS, bite for the T650. Sounds like you are enough of a power user to figure most of the problems out with the help of TC and other boards.

Good Luck,

Bob Duckworth
  5.    #5  
    i am indeed wed to sprint...it's sounding more and more like a switch could be in order-at least until this can be sorted out. maybe i'll get lucky and sprint will offer the xda IV design in the next year...(probably not)
    The 650 does have problems, but most seem to be pretty minor. Most resets occur from running 3rd party apps. The memory problem isn't a problem for most people since SD cards are so cheap. It only comes into play if you're using something else in the SD slot like a GPS card.

You'll find that the audio quality and ringers on the 650 are far superior to the 6601. It's just a much better phone. If you rely on your phone, the 650 is the PDA of choice on Sprint.
    wait till the 6600 comes out. supposed to be out at the end of the month. then make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    The 650 does have problems, but most seem to be pretty minor. Most resets occur from running 3rd party apps. The memory problem isn't a problem for most people since SD cards are so cheap. It only comes into play if you're using something else in the SD slot like a GPS card.

You'll find that the audio quality and ringers on the 650 are far superior to the 6601. It's just a much better phone. If you rely on your phone, the 650 is the PDA of choice on Sprint.
    I agree with Noob on some points - I haven't had a problem with the phone functions with my VX, aside from low ringer volume. It IS a PDA first and phone second. So, if you're a phone user primarily, it does sound like the T650 fits the bill a bit better. You should have an evaluation period with any new device. Wring it out and decide what fits your style.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by bsarkis74
    i get the BOD daily,,,but i do use the phone a lot. it looks realy bad when i'm constantly having to hang up, reset, and redial important contacts.-especially if they call from an inside MPX number and i have no call back number. i hear that the 650 has HUGE problems, though...any comments?
    From your own report and evaluation of these expensive faulty products -with which I agree- you should hold on to the 600 until someone produces a better communicator which is likely to come soon.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    The so-called beep of death? I've seen it twice in the last 900 calls I made and received. I did not want to return my phone for that, especially that I migrated from Treo 650, which had more serious problems with resets and NVMS, and so I'll wait for a fix.

I still have objections to some phone performance issues like lower than normal audio, low ringtones which I remedied, thanks to Hobbes, and crappy speaker phone performance. But I think these are all fixable.

Bluetooth performance is quite good, especially if you apply the BT3500 patch.

Overall, the integration of pocket PC and phone is not bad. The phone could use some improvements, I admit, and since I have a second line I began to use the 6601 maily for data access and PDA functions till the fixes arrive.

You gotta love the $15 unlimited vision pro. No one can beat that amongst other carriers. I'm dumping Cingular and their wishy washy pricing and possible access limit on MEdia Works, and their slow access speed compared to CDMA.
    bsarkis74: you probably already know that the 6600 is out. Hobbes has been posting about it and putting up pics/video clips for comparison. He hasnt gotten any BOD problems (yet?) so if you have exchanged the 6601, maybe that is an option as well.

Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I am amazed that there are not more T650 supporters chiming in on this. The T650 is great. Yes there was a memory issue but by moving apps to the SD card and running the dos2go move tool there is plenty of room for the average users. I have about 30 apps on my Treo and it has not skipped a beat.
    Wifi it works with my SC500 and there are issues with the PPCs as well so nothing is perfect.
    It all comes down to APPS. 90% of resets on the Treo and for that matter the ppc is due to badly written applications. Run either virgin and they will work. of course the Treo will run longer cause it has a better battery but they will work.
    The Treo650 works great as a phone!
    The Treo650 works great as a PDA!
    The Treo650 has a great screen, Great keyboard, Great contact-to-phone integration, it looks more normal and phone like in public.
    If you liked the T600 you will love the Treo650 it has everything the T600 needed.
    Its like comparing Treocentral to Hofo both are winners IMO.
    The object was to remain objective. He should choose his own device based on his needs
  14.    #14  
    well...i have made a decision-i purchased BOTH the 650 and the new 6600 and used them both extensively-albeit more with the 650 as i have been using the 6601 for the last few months. well, tomorrow morning the 6600 goes back. it may indeed be the better device, but the treo is really where my heart is. i've had a boatload of soft resets in the last few weeks, but for some reason, i just prefer the treo. and, to top it off, i got the $100 in software from handango GC and used it before it got killed, so it made up for a lot of the issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    If you liked the T600 you will love the Treo650 it has everything the T600 needed.
    except windows 03 se. thats prolly the main #1 reason i aint got a treo. i love the form factor of the treo, but i need the windows. also, as far as big screens go, the *66* wins hands down. but it all depends on what you want, these are definitely both wonders of technology.
    *sparks*
    FWIW... I have had the Treo for two weeks now, the first week was full of resets...although the screen, keyboard and form factor blew me away anyway and I wouldn't give it up (warts and all). Take a look at this thread...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72314

which I think goes a long way to resolving the reset issues. I don't have resets anymore, unless I initiate them. I have only seen and held a demo version of the 6600, so I cannot speak from that experience, and Hobbes seems to be having a great time with his (he almost had me there) ...ulitimately I went with the 650 because it was here now, and the 6600 was delayed...but I will test the 6600 out when my local Sprint store gets one, but I cannot even imagine how it could compare.... The screen, the apps, bluetooth (mine works!), the camera (yeah, it's actually good!), the keyboard (which is SOOOOOO much better than the 600 - you can speed demon on this thing - I played with the 6600 - it doesn't like it could be as fast)...and then of course, there is the form factor.

You will be happy with your choice, especially since you've had both to toy with, but don't take all the negative Treo stuff to heart, there are some people who are VERY happy with theirs (again, warts and all!).
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    as far as big screens go, the *66* wins hands down. but it all depends on what you want, these are definitely both wonders of technology.

Maybe I'm just hoping that size doesn't matter... but...

320 x 320 is incredible!... could more space ever make a 240 x 320 look as good?

...and then of course there's the Keyboard!!!!!...(but I'd like multitasking - damn! always a trade-off!)

you're right, both units are wonders....
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    Maybe I'm just hoping that size doesn't matter... but...

320 x 320 is incredible!... could more space ever make a 240 x 320 look as good?

...and then of course there's the Keyboard!!!!!...(but I'd like multitasking - damn! always a trade-off!)

you're right, both units are wonders....
    yeah, i guess i was talking about size, the resolution on the t650 is pretty smooth.

i do like the keyboard on the 650, but i have small fingers so the 6601's keyboard works for me, i actually find that i can go at a pretty good clip if i use the ends of my fingernails rather than my thumb pads.

I feel like the keyboard on the treo650 is close to perfect, i just wish the tops of the keys had a little bit of flatness to them. i always feel like my fingers are going to slide off the tops of the keys, but again, maybe because of my small fingers, all you brawny types out there may not have this problem . The keys on the 6315 are very nice too, and if hp didnt align themselves with tmobile exclusively i might have gotten that thing back in november and would have been bummin right now wishing i had waited for the 6600, but thats not the case and i'm glad i held out!!!
    *sparks*
    PalmOne made the best thumb keyboard in the business--> on the Tungsten C. But they don't seem to wanna repeat success. The latter Tungstens were w/o keyboards.

Well, I can live with a touch screen, virtual keyboard, and of course transcriber handwriting.
    Quote Originally Posted by bsarkis74
    well, tomorrow morning the 6600 goes back. it may indeed be the better device, but the treo is really where my heart is. i've had a boatload of soft resets in the last few weeks, but for some reason, i just prefer the treo.
    Well, congrats. At least you're happy with your own informed decision, and not basing it on cheerleading from either side.