Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For six months now, I've been reading these message boards and following Treo 650 news on various websites. I was hellbent on getting a Treo. However, in light of recent developments, I have come to believe that the Treo 650 is a dead option for power smartphone users.

The Background: I currently own a Sony Ericsson P900, the best smartphone on the market when it was released (that's a loaded statement, I know, but it's true in my opinion). After heavy usage, it's time to trade the old puppy in for a new model. I'm tired of handwriting recognition so I wanted something with a keyboard, and while I've been out of the States for the past few years and missed the Treo craze (it's not that popular in Europe) I had read a lot of good things. My mind was made up: I wanted a Treo.

Besides its great form factor, the Treo 650 had some advantages over its rivals:
    SE P910 - awkward keyboard and still uses those stupid memory stick duo cards.
    Nokia 9500 - too big. I had a 9100 earlier and it was a pain to carry
    Nokia 9300 - no camera
    BenQ P50 - no idea when it's coming out, and looks like it'll be expensive
    I-Mate PDA2k - too wide for pants pockets. $1000 is a little rich too.
    Motorola MpX - wacky form factor. looks awkward to use. expensive.
    Blackberry - close proprietary system means no add-on programs. weak for anything besides email.

I watched as you got your Treo 650 Sprint phones last year, then your Cingulars this month. I was going to order an unlocked GSM model this weekend... until the $100 price increase debacle. Having spent time in places where people buy whatever phone they want unlocked and then stick in their GSM cards, I still don't understand this mobile operator hegemony (Sprint holds up release of the unlocked phone for 3 months? Cingular pushes PalmOne to raise the price?). I'm sorry to be the one to tell you all, but this phone is not worth $699. Why?

I've had a Nokia 9100 and 9200 and SE P800 and P900, each purchased for around $800 except the 9100 which I got cheap. I have never had to send any of them back for service except when I broke them. There are people here on these message boards on their 4th Treo 650! That is NOT normal!

Constant hard and soft resets? Bad keys that get stuck or stop working? Extra software to run programs off your memory card? Not synching properly with your computer? Disabled functions? Bad sound quality? Bluetooth pairing issues? It seems like everyone has something wrong with their phone. While I realize that those with problems are more likely to complain, the sheer volume is not promising and not like my experiences with any other phone!

Looks like it'd be a better idea to either take the plunge and get the SE P910 (more features for only $50 more), wait for the P50 (maybe it won't be so expensive) or wait for the new HP MobileMessenger (looks a little big, but nice). I don't see a logical basis for devotion to the Treo 650, unless you are really tied to the Palm platform (newsflash: Symbian UIQ applications for the SE P-series phone are cheaper, and you're still avoiding Microsoft). I might have to wait a little longer for one of these other options, but it looks like it'll be worth it.

I'm posting this in the hope that maybe, just maybe, someone can give me a well-reasoned, logical explanation as to why I might be wrong!
    which is worse....MPX300 or Treo 650?
    c'mon people....
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    As a Treo650 owner. I say take the plunge and get the SE p910. You have my complete 100% endorsement. Tell them 2smart4phone sent ya.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    which is worse....MPX300 or Treo 650?
    The MpX looks worse... but the question is what else is better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbyd
    The MpX looks worse... but the question is what else is better?
    if you really want the treo 650 at 599, call palmOne instead ordering online, tell them that the price that you've seen is 599, some people reported success in ordering theirs at 599, after the palmOne jackup the price
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    You have to realize that the Treo users that frequent these boards are but a TINY fraction of Treo users overall. And, by definition, we are "enthusiasts", which means we will be installing more crap software and utilities and pushing the Treo to the edge than anyone else. These boards are also a MAGNET for people having problems with their Treos because the boards are an EXCELLENT source of support. So, you cannot take the experience from reading these boards and extrapolate it to the rest of the Treo population out there. For every Treo reported having problems here, there are probably 100 others working just fine. Just compare the number of users posting in these forums vs. the number of Treos sold, and you'll get the picture...
    Funny, mine still works.....just made a call on it.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    only 1 out of 100 has problems? 99 out of 100 works well? c'mon....get real. there are underlying issues on all 650's...whether those issues affect people all the same way is a different story...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbyd

Constant hard and soft resets? Bad keys that get stuck or stop working? Extra software to run programs off your memory card? Not synching properly with your computer? Disabled functions? Bad sound quality? Bluetooth pairing issues? It seems like everyone has something wrong with their phone. While I realize that those with problems are more likely to complain, the sheer volume is not promising and not like my experiences with any other phone!

Looks like it'd be a better idea to either take the plunge and get the SE P910 (more features for only $50 more), wait for the P50 (maybe it won't be so expensive) or wait for the new HP MobileMessenger (looks a little big, but nice). I don't see a logical basis for devotion to the Treo 650, unless you are really tied to the Palm platform (newsflash: Symbian UIQ applications for the SE P-series phone are cheaper, and you're still avoiding Microsoft). I might have to wait a little longer for one of these other options, but it looks like it'll be worth it.
    Why are you wrong? Because you read, but don't learn.

ALL the reset issues (soft resets, BTW: I've not read about any significant issues with hard resets), with the possible exceptions of a few defective phones, are software related. If people insist on installing every piece of software they can find, without testing them, they're going to get resets. That's the nature of the Palm OS (to save on memory, small embedded OS's generally have very limited error trapping capability). Stop using the crappy versamail that Palm inflicted on us, and use the newest versions of apps (and test them to make sure OS 5.4 supports them), and you can have an extremely stable device. I do. And developers are adressing the incompatibilities very rapidly. The sheer volume of complaints, btw, is amplified by people like you, who keep reposting other people's complaints. You don't even own a Treo, but you're complaining that it doesn't work. Similarly, for every real problem someone does have, it seems that 25 or 30 people jump in a complain how horrible it is, even though they've never encountered it (or don't even own the phone).

Disabled functions? I supposed you mean bluetooth DUN? That's not a Treo issue, it's a provider issue, and there are easily applied patches for both CDMA and GSM treos available. Bluetooth problems? Yes, but frankly I don't care. I have no desire to walk around like some kind of Borg with an earpiece glued to my head. But if you think bluetooth is important, some of the issues have already been addressed with patches you can get on this board, others are likely to be addressed in future patches.

Bad P buttons? There seemed to be maybe 25 to 35 legitimate complaints about P buttons that died. And a whole bunch of people who complained the P button doesn't click like the others (who gives a sh**?). But all of those seemed to be from the first production run. I haven't seen any new complaints about the P key in quite a while.

Based on these boards, while there are a few people complaining about having defective 650s, my feeling is that they are a smaller percentage of purchasers than had defective 600s. And the number that have had multiple defective 650s is way smaller than it was for the 600. My gut feeling is that the 650 is proving more reliable than the 600, not the other way around.

I'll be perfectly willing to switch from Palm when someone makes something better. The Symbian OS doesn't come close to offering the flexibilty of the Palm OS, and there are maybe 1% the number of available apps. MS is a more viable option, and maybe in another couple of versions I'll look at it again, but I still find the Palm OS to be cleaner, simpler, easier to use (which is not the same a easier to learn, btw), more reliable, and far more efficient with memory use.

You can wait and buy whatever the heck you want. I don't care. But Palm seems to be selling every 650 they can manage to make, TODAY. Maybe the future phones you mention will be better, but everything sounds great when you're reading a spec sheet. (The HP, btw, looks a LOT big. At least as big as my old Clie. That's fine for a PDA, but way to bulky to be convenient as a phone. The Treo is almost too big for comfortable phone use, the HP is a monster. And that's why the Treo is still on top: some devices are better here, others are better there. Some are smaller, some are more powerful, some have wi-fi, some have real keyboards. But in spite of the Treo's flaws, no other device does as good a job at blending multiple features into a such a convenient package.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    what ARE the blue tooth iisues in a nutshell?
    Ive got more Guns than you.
    My rant for the day!!!!!!

IF YOU ARE SO DOWN ON TREO'S STOP COMING TO THIS BOARD!

This board is called Treo Central, not Treo hater central. There are many other places you can go and spew your anti Treo remarks. Heres a better idea, why don't you just start an anti Treo site. That way you and the rest of the haters will have a place to go where we dont have to hear your crap! As much negativity as their is in this world why dont you try and be a little more positive! The fact is that the treo is a great phone, a great pda, and a great all around device.

WOOO-SAAAAA
    WOOO-SAAAAA
    Treoseur
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb

ALL the reset issues (soft resets, BTW: I've not read about any significant issues with hard resets), with the possible exceptions of a few defective phones, are software related. If people insist on installing every piece of software they can find, without testing them, they're going to get resets. That's the nature of the Palm OS (to save on memory, small embedded OS's generally have very limited error trapping capability). Stop using the crappy versamail that Palm inflicted on us, and use the newest versions of apps (and test them to make sure OS 5.4 supports them), and you can have an extremely stable device. I do. And developers are adressing the incompatibilities very rapidly. The sheer volume of complaints, btw, is amplified by people like you, who keep reposting other people's complaints. You don't even own a Treo, but you're complaining that it doesn't work. Similarly, for every real problem someone does have, it seems that 25 or 30 people jump in a complain how horrible it is, even though they've never encountered it (or don't even own the phone).

Disabled functions? I supposed you mean bluetooth DUN? That's not a Treo issue, it's a provider issue, and there are easily applied patches for both CDMA and GSM treos available. Bluetooth problems? Yes, but frankly I don't care. I have no desire to walk around like some kind of Borg with an earpiece glued to my head. But if you think bluetooth is important, some of the issues have already been addressed with patches you can get on this board, others are likely to be addressed in future patches.

Bad P buttons? There seemed to be maybe 25 to 35 legitimate complaints about P buttons that died. And a whole bunch of people who complained the P button doesn't click like the others (who gives a sh**?). But all of those seemed to be from the first production run. I haven't seen any new complaints about the P key in quite a while.

Based on these boards, while there are a few people complaining about having defective 650s, my feeling is that they are a smaller percentage of purchasers than had defective 600s. And the number that have had multiple defective 650s is way smaller than it was for the 600. My gut feeling is that the 650 is proving more reliable than the 600, not the other way around.

I'll be perfectly willing to switch from Palm when someone makes something better. The Symbian OS doesn't come close to offering the flexibilty of the Palm OS, and there are maybe 1% the number of available apps. MS is a more viable option, and maybe in another couple of versions I'll look at it again, but I still find the Palm OS to be cleaner, simpler, easier to use (which is not the same a easier to learn, btw), more reliable, and far more efficient with memory use.

You can wait and buy whatever the heck you want. I don't care. But Palm seems to be selling every 650 they can manage to make, TODAY. Maybe the future phones you mention will be better, but everything sounds great when you're reading a spec sheet. (The HP, btw, looks a LOT big. At least as big as my old Clie. That's fine for a PDA, but way to bulky to be convenient as a phone. The Treo is almost too big for comfortable phone use, the HP is a monster. And that's why the Treo is still on top: some devices are better here, others are better there. Some are smaller, some are more powerful, some have wi-fi, some have real keyboards. But in spite of the Treo's flaws, no other device does as good a job at blending multiple features into a such a convenient package.

Good post.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I am new here so my apologies if posting in the wrong place. My Treo 650 from Sprint, which I bought on 12/22/04, is one of the more reliable units it seems after reading many different posts. It seems to me that once the initial call to the Sprint tech support for that Versa Mail issue many have had, the one time I learned about the problem with trying to launch certain applications from the SD card, and one good hard reset, I have not experienced any abnormal or excessive operation of the Treo 650. Versa Mail functions flawlessly, understanding SD card application usage and its out of the box limitations, and keeping an open mind that this phone....... yes, a phone is what this is, that has a computer in it, and we all know our 2000.00 dollar laptops are not perfect either. I occasionally get a soft auto reset from the Blazer Browser, but that is it. Keep the built in memory only half full to keep the unit stable, load an SD card for applications that won't cause known issues, and your Treo 650 will live a happy and productive life too. Treo haters, Bill Gat$ has something for your pocket, and it might not be so nice.

ehosey2
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat3k1
    My rant for the day!!!!!!

IF YOU ARE SO DOWN ON TREO'S STOP COMING TO THIS BOARD!

This board is called Treo Central, not Treo hater central. There are many other places you can go and spew your anti Treo remarks.
    WOOO-SAAAAA
    When this $600 piece of crap starts working to 5% of it's potential I'll begin listening to posts like you.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Your post makes a lot of sense, but it would have been a lot more effective if you'd started out without this phrase. I've learned quite a bit on these boards, positive and negative. I agree with you about the bluetooth cyborg action, but I also think the installed email program should work out of the box. As for the reset issue, there's one poll on this board where the vote shows that 46% have it and 54% don't. That's still pretty high, even if it's because people are installing the wrong 3rd-party software.
    This board is called Treo Central, not Treo hater central. There are many other places you can go and spew your anti Treo remarks. Heres a better idea, why don't you just start an anti Treo site. That way you and the rest of the haters will have a place to go where we dont have to hear your crap!
    Hey, you're smart. Ya... an anti-Treo board. That'd be the perfect place for me to learn more about the device so that I can make an informed decision. You've obviously missed the point of my post, which was to get an idea as to whether or not the intrinsic problems in the device overwhelm its possible benefits.

Thanks to ehosey2 and Zboater for their intelligent, positive responses. More food for thought. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a Treo hater. I'm playing Devil's Advocate to try and figure out if it's the right move since I'm overseas most of the time and won't be able to keep returning units to PalmOne if they don't work properly.
    A comment like mine could not be pointed at just 1 person, you just happen to be the last one in this particular thread to leave a negative post. That ranr was more of a general comment about the overall attitude of some on this board.
    Treoseur
    .....Heres a better idea, why don't you just start an anti Treo site. That way you and the rest of the haters will have a place to go where we dont have to hear your crap! ...

Someone already did that....

http://www.TreoHatersAnonymous.com

This message is for the author of this thread.

I can't give you a really logical reason why the you should choose the treo, so I hope a completely biased, subjective opinion would do.
    Ever since over I crossed over the convergence threshold with my treo 270 i've been seeking perfection. I don't ask for too much...just on the go access to most of the information and processes that keeps food on my table. I had my treo 600 for a year and have had my treo 650 (cingular) for 3 days now. I realize that may not be a long enough evaluation period to form a substantive conclusion about the device. BUT I LOVE IT. I decided to use it for a full week without any third party software so I can evaluate its core reliabilty. NOT ONE single reset or hiccup so far. I think anyone who wants to come to a conclusion about this device needs to have it in their hands for a good 24 hours. You owe it to yourself...most carriers have an evaluation period..go out and get one and then come back and lynch the treo all you want if you are not satisfied.

still luvin mah treo
    - makrotonik
    Morbyd -

I would question if any device will satisfy you (or many of the folks who post in these forums). I would imagine that if you get the 650 (or 910, or 6600, or any of them), you'll want whatever new device comes out in 6 months. So - I'm just saying that there's a buying phenomenon that goes in with these tech things - people see something new and then start to gaze at their current thing (whatever that is) and think to themselves - "man, this looked really cool six months ago; now I'm not so sure".
    Just be prepared to have buyer's remorse no matter what you get.....
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Just be prepared to have buyer's remorse no matter what you get.....
    I'm not so sure... I've never regretted buying my P900. I'm just missing having that keyboard from the old Nokia 9100 and 9200 days (but again, those things were monsters to carry around!)

To be honest, if you put the P910's features in a Treo shell and added WiFi, I think you'd have the perfect phone (as long as all the buttons worked!). Of course, I will trade it in after a year and a half when the next batch of phones come out.

In the meantime, there appears to be enough Palm software out there (some of it, hopefully, compatible with the Treo in such a way so as not to cause resets) to keep Treo users happy. To be honest, I've talked myself into and out of this purchase about 20 times now...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast