Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The best comparison to make that explains it perfectly is the comparison people make between Harley's and Jap bikes. They say a harley brakes down, doesn't run as good, etc. BUT THEY ALL TRY TO MAKE THERE BIKES LOOK AND SOUND LIKE HARLEY'S!!!!!! The same is true with these phones. When you see everyone else copying a form factor, and then you hear all the little haters with there "treo killer" comments it tells you one thing. The Treo is at the top of the hill ! In my opinion it will take a successful market launch of a product like the MPX 300 from Motorola or another new form factor to knock Treo off its pedistal.
    Treoseur
    Thats funny, I thought blackberry was on top. Wait... didn't Palm buy the "rights" to use the blackberry keyboard layout on the Treo600... yep thats right.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Thats funny, I thought blackberry was on top. Wait... didn't Palm buy the "rights" to use the blackberry keyboard layout on the Treo600... yep thats right.

Ummm... No they didn't! In fact the entire reason why the 600 didn't have a rocker switch was in order to avoid RIM's thumbboard patents. Apparently RIM has a patent on the rocker-thumbboard combo that it essential to its navigation interface. PalmOne has been very careful and leary of these patents and has made sure its Treo thumbboard design are unique advancements and do not have to pay 3rd party lisencing fees...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Ummm... No they didn't! In fact the entire reason why the 600 didn't have a rocker switch was in order to avoid RIM's thumbboard patents. Apparently RIM has a patent on the rocker-thumbboard combo that it essential to its navigation interface. PalmOne has been very careful and leary of these patents and has made sure its Treo thumbboard design are unique advancements and do not have to pay 3rd party lisencing fees...
    Palm1 had a press release describing how the Tre600 keyboard was from BB patent. The Tre650 is a complete re-design of their own. Don't kill the messanger.
    The Treo is the Harley of the PDA phones? I think we all need to get out more
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ummm...no one makes japanese sports bikes "look" like harleys. hah! who would want it then. harleys are for cruisers and (supposedly) long journeys. sports bikes aren't. so i've never seen a sports bike look like a harley. sounding like them is a different story, however. just thought i'd comment
    btw your reference to japanese sports bikes - jap - could be seen as offensive to some
    I still would choose a GSXR750 (suzuki) over a harley. I have 2 of them.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yep and the new gsxr's look hot. but that is for a completely different message board
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Palm1 had a press release describing how the Tre600 keyboard was from BB patent. The Tre650 is a complete re-design of their own. Don't kill the messanger.
    Show me this press release.
  10. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Also let's not forget that when the T600 came out it was built by......................Handspring not PalmOne. So, right there your statement is wrong.
    You just have to google a bit. I just did a quick look and found this in 3 seconds. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/180-1.htm

Just look around.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    You just have to google a bit. I just did a quick look and found this in 3 seconds. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/180-1.htm

Just look around.
    Thanks. I stand corrected. I am just wondering how RIM can patent the QWERTY keyboard?

Just look around.

*sigh* If you read carefully you will see that story was dated Nov 5, 2002 and was in reference to a suit brought on my Lawsuites in Motion, er... I mean RIM about supposed patent infringements concerning the Treo 270/300 . Those patents did NOT affect the Treo 600 or the Treo 650. In fact I asked this question specifically at the Chicago Treo Road show and the PalmOne reps were very clear explaining that they were very wary of lisencing costs and worked very hard to design a unique and functional thumboard design for the 650. Bascially this is old news and not relavant anymore, sorry...

Edit: Here are some more links to the stories. Note they are all dated prior to the release of the Treo 600...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=4186

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4556
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/06/2005 at 01:15 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  14.    #14  
    If you would have taken 1 second, and used your common sense you would have realized that I was not speaking of sport bikes. I was speaking of honda magna's, yamaha virago's, and all the other bikes that look and sound like a harley.
    Treoseur
    *sigh* If you read carefully you will see that story was dated Nov 5, 2002 and was in reference to a suit brought on my Lawsuites in Motion, er... I mean RIM about supposed patent infringements concerning the Treo 270/300 . Those patents did NOT affect the Treo 600 or the Treo 650. In fact I asked this question specifically at the Chicago Treo Road show and the PalmOne reps were very clear explaining that they were very wary of lisencing coast and worked very hard to design a unique and functional thumboard design for the 650. Bascially this is old news and not relavant anymore, sorry...
    Good post.
    *sigh* If you read carefully you will see that story was dated Nov 5, 2002 and was in reference to a suit brought on my Lawsuites in Motion, er... I mean RIM about supposed patent infringements concerning the Treo 270/300 . Those patents did NOT affect the Treo 600 or the Treo 650. In fact I asked this question specifically at the Chicago Treo Road show and the PalmOne reps were very clear explaining that they were very wary of lisencing costs and worked very hard to design a unique and functional thumboard design for the 650. Bascially this is old news and not relavant anymore, sorry...

Edit: Here are some more links to the stories. Note they are all dated prior to the release of the Treo 600...

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=4186

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=4556
    Yep, and the press release I read said they took great care just like you said above FOR THE TREO 650..... Treo 600 used patents from BB.

I am too lazy to search for press releases, you can find it yourself. I said I spent 3 seconds on that search for that article. The fact remains that BB is by far more popular and is the king in this arena.

Where is the blackberry killer?
    Yep, and the press release I read said they took great care just like you said above FOR THE TREO 650..... Treo 600 used patents from BB.

I am too lazy to search for press releases, you can find it yourself. I said I spent 3 seconds on that search for that article. The fact remains that BB is by far more popular and is the king in this arena.

Where is the blackberry killer?

So then post the proof. I will gladly admit that I'm wrong if you can prove that Handspring/PalmOne lisenced patents that applied to the Treo 600. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $they$ $did$ $not$ $and$ $they$ $only$ $applied$ $to$ $earlier$ $gen$ $Treos$.

you are too funny
    you are too funny
    And you're not.

So where's the link?

And you're not.

So where's the link?
    ANd here is some proof:

Directly in an arcticle that was a Q/A with Palm1 about the TREO 650

http://www.treocentral.com/content/P...ries/479-1.htm

Q: Why change the keyboard?

A: palmOne believes that they have come up with a novel keyboard design that in patent terms, stands on its own. RIM holds many patents on thumboard keyboards, and palmOne was forced to license such patents for use of the thumboard on earlier Treos. While palmOne was unable to discuss any specifics of their relationship with RIM, Greg Shirari did mention how they would rather not pay license fees.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast