Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    ANd here is some proof:

Directly in an arcticle that was a Q/A with Palm1 about the TREO 650

http://www.treocentral.com/content/P...ries/479-1.htm

Q: Why change the keyboard?

A: palmOne believes that they have come up with a novel keyboard design that in patent terms, stands on its own. RIM holds many patents on thumboard keyboards, and palmOne was forced to license such patents for use of the thumboard on earlier Treos. While palmOne was unable to discuss any specifics of their relationship with RIM, Greg Shirari did mention how they would rather not pay license fees.
    Yes, "earlier Treos." Which ones?!!

The lawsuit in question was filed by RIM in September 2002 for the Treo models that were in market then (e.g, Treo 180/270/300). Both Palm at the time and Handspring settled with RIM later that same year:

http://www.rim.net/news/press/2002/pr-05_11_2002.shtml

Handspring did not release the Treo 600 until June 2003 the following year, almost 8 months afterwards. I have not seen proof anywhere that specifically stated that Handspring paid lisencing fees for the Treo 600 thumbboard to RIM. Obviously PalmOne will not comment on what amount it paid to RIM and what aspects of it's thumbboard design it had to lisence from RIM on it's earlier gen Treos. But the patent lawsuit with RIM regarding this was settled many months prior to the launch of the Treo 600 and it would be reasonable to assume that they would have tweaked as much as they could to avoid these patents on their next gen Treo at the time, which was obviously the 600...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 02/07/2005 at 01:22 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Another good post. farzon seems confused about his dates and model numbers.
    Last time I checked earlier references anytime before now. Considering it was a Treo650 that was being discussed, Treo 600 is included. In addition, why would the Palm1 rep even bring it up unless it was an issue?

You guys are reaching here.
    Consider another thing. These devices are not made in 8 months. Infact it takes much longer than that. Quit trying to attack me on details that I am clearly proving and get back to the subject at hand. Palm is not the inovator of this technology. If anything BB owns this space.

To refine my point, myself and MANY MANY other Treo600 customers thought of the Treo 600 "Finally another option" other than BlackBerry. Blackberry sat on top for a looong time. I personally don't like the BB design.

So I find it funny when the very same Treo customers that are too looking at "the other option" and fusterated about posts showing options "other than the Treo".
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Until very recently, BB was ONLY an email device, not a PDA/phone. Personally I've never considered any BB device -- they still don't get the PDA side of the device. However, I've looked long and hard at both the Treo 600 and the 650. I'm sticking with my Samsung i500 for now.

Farzon, I think you're trying too hard. Because of the difference in size, there is no comparison between the Treo 650's keyboard and any BB device ever made. I think it is BB who is now trying to avoid licensing Treo's "best of breed" small keyboard design for their new BB/phone. IMO they missed the mark. I think BB's future lies in their servers, and in licensing their client software. When it comes to handhelds, Treo has passed them by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Until very recently, BB was ONLY an email device, not a PDA/phone. Personally I've never considered any BB device -- they still don't get the PDA side of the device. However, I've looked long and hard at both the Treo 600 and the 650. I'm sticking with my Samsung i500 for now.

Farzon, I think you're trying too hard. Because of the difference in size, there is no comparison between the Treo 650's keyboard and any BB device ever made. I think it is BB who is now trying to avoid licensing Treo's "best of breed" small keyboard design for their new BB/phone. IMO they missed the mark. I think BB's future lies in their servers, and in licensing their client software. When it comes to handhelds, Treo has passed them by.
    I am not sure where some of you guys are getting your information. While Palm1 recently just passed its 1 million Treo600's sold, RIM sold over 565,000 devices last quarter alone.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in favor of BB handhelds. They are by far more popular than Treo though... by a long shot. I disagree about the BB keyboards too, they are VERY nice to use.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Farzon, I don't think you read my message. Let me bore you by repeating what I said. Yes BB sells a lot of devices. No BB does not sell a good PDA device. Email yes, PDA no. BB keyboards may be very nice to use, but they are much bigger than the Treo's and therefore not directly comparable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Farzon, I don't think you read my message. Let me bore you by repeating what I said. Yes BB sells a lot of devices. No BB does not sell a good PDA device. Email yes, PDA no. BB keyboards may be very nice to use, but they are much bigger than the Treo's and therefore not directly comparable.
    While I agree BB's PDA isn't very good for my liking, its amazing though that we are the minority. If I were comparing the two devices, I too would feel that they are not comparable. This isn't up to us though. The market speaks and BB outsells palm hands down.

Anyway, I think we are beating a dead horse right?
    So long as things are being called "Treo Killers" the treo will remain the best device out there. Consider it flattery.
  10.    #30  
    Finally, someone who got the point of my thread!!!!
    Treoseur
    Not sure why your thread began with such a negative viewpoint. You will only need to worry about your investment in your precious Treo when the Treo 750 looks like it might be the "next Compaq Killer" or something similar. In the meantime, may I offer you some cheese with that fine whine?
  12.    #32  
    I did not start off with a negative view. I was taking aim at those with a bad view on the site. Second, my loyalty to the Treo extends as long as it is the best overall device around. Trust me, as soon as the next best thing arrives I'll drop the Treo like a hot rock. But like someone said as long as we're talking about devices neing Treo killers then Treo has the top of the hill.
    Treoseur
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12