Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    The real Treo killer will be PalmOne themselves !
    Hahah, that's rich! Sadly, I do agree...oh well
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    farz,
    in your original statement you mentioned nothing about coverage, you simply said gsm has the largest cell network in the usa. i apologize for sticking up for you since obviously i didn't have any idea what you were talking about, and still don't. "cell network" is vague... subscribers? customers? coverage? personally i thought verizon DID have the best coverage in all areas, and what i mean by best is most. cingular has the most customers due to the combination of at&t, but from your statement it seems you imply that now cingular has the most reach (coverage) than verizon. even if that is true, the more popular by subscribers technology is cdma due to subscribers. originally i thought you meant gsm had more customers, but if this was not your intent, so be it. regardless, the hp phone looks nice. t-mobile's flip up magician looks nice as well.
    Also... as far as analog coverage goes, name a SINGLE analog PDA-phone. There are none (correct me if I am wrong).
    Sure. The Kyocera 7135 Palm OS PDA phone is tri-band CDMA - with analog.
    P1 is the one and only Treo Killer. With friends like P1 the Treo need no other enemies.
    I think the real Treo killer is any free phone that you see teen agers talking so reliably on while in the lower level of the mall.

I think we got so carried away with PDA/Phones that we forgot how reliable these little flip and non phones are. I spent more time talking to idiotic CSR's at both Sprint and cingular than any part of my life because of these "converged" phones.

For many of us, the fever is wearing out, and it is time to get back to the basics: one good free flip phone with a ringer so loud it would wake up the dead, and one good PPC or Palm PDA with WiFi+bluetooth, 624 MHZ, VGA screen and cost less than the Treo 650 or PPC6601.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    I think the real Treo killer is any free phone that you see teen agers talking so reliably on while in the lower level of the mall.

I think we got so carried away with PDA/Phones that we forgot how reliable these little flip and non phones are. I spent more time talking to idiotic CSR's at both Sprint and cingular than any part of my life because of these "converged" phones.

For many of us, the fever is wearing out, and it is time to get back to the basics: one good free flip phone with a ringer so loud it would wake up the dead, and one good PPC or Palm PDA with WiFi+bluetooth, 624 MHZ, VGA screen and cost less than the Treo 650 or PPC6601.
    Good point, well taken. I went through many cell phones before my Treo 270. Never ever saw a "reset."

Fever wearing out!?!
    Tony: as Dickie V says, Are you kidding me?
    I know you don't mean that...

My reading of PDA sales data, the number of new diverse converged devices being released, and fora such as this one is that convergence fever is just heating up. In any event, it is for me. We've been early adopters only. The sector is very young and improving quickly and surely due mostly to improved networks and software. I went back to "separates" last year when the 600 release dissapointed me. I got an iPAQ 2215 and a Samsung E715. Each is a great little device and there isn't a converged device out there that can match either in their area -functionally, and especially aesthetically, and yet I still use my pathbreaking 270 most often. I pay very little attention to the latest iPAQs or Samsungs but am always looking for, often trying, and occasionally buying Treo challengers.

That being said, converged devices will remain a small if profitable part of the market. Mall rats will continue using free or low-cost phones and most people everywhere just want a good or great phone. But I don't think you're one of them.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    There are a lot of phones already on the market that provide PIM functionality and will sync with a desktop. The last phone I had was an AT&T Siemens S46. GSM and TDMA, monochrome screen, and T9. But could sync via IR to Outlook.

If the Treo isn't doing it for you, is the Treo really what you need? I look at phones like the Nokia 6600 series, and when compared to the Treo for similar functions, it does just sas well, and has all the phone features you'd expect from a Nokia. While the Treo and the Pocket PC phones tout themselves as palm computers with phone, you really need to analyze your own usage and determine if that's what suits you the best.

I know the Treo is too much device for me, I could get along just fine with a Motorola camera phone. The Treo is a toy, albiet an expensive one, and I'm okay with that.

c
    Quote Originally Posted by controller
    There are a lot of phones already on the market that provide PIM functionality and will sync with a desktop. The last phone I had was an AT&T Siemens S46. GSM and TDMA, monochrome screen, and T9. But could sync via IR to Outlook.

If the Treo isn't doing it for you, is the Treo really what you need? I look at phones like the Nokia 6600 series, and when compared to the Treo for similar functions, it does just sas well, and has all the phone features you'd expect from a Nokia. While the Treo and the Pocket PC phones tout themselves as palm computers with phone, you really need to analyze your own usage and determine if that's what suits you the best.

I know the Treo is too much device for me, I could get along just fine with a Motorola camera phone. The Treo is a toy, albiet an expensive one, and I'm okay with that.

c

It's not just the PIM, it's the 3rd pary apps. Most market surverys show that a mojority of users with Symbian handsets (series 60 etc) don't even know about 3rd party apps for their handsets and rarely even install them. Of course the PPC phone platform has tons of apps, but there has still been a void in 'push' email funcitonality that this msn messenger device supposedly fills. The problem is that the device is late and many other smartphones like the BB and Treos (via goolink, chatter etc) have been doing this for some time. (Just to note, BB connect client is also now available for several Symbain handsets). Thus for me, it's a platform decision rather than just a purely hardware spec decision. Also, a device may have all world specs, but it also has to be user friendly which I found the treo be....

And yes, it is just an expensive toy to most of us!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    One of the things that I enjoyed from my Treo 600 was looking through here to find different ways to tinker with and improve my Treo. That was part of the fun. I usually don't do that anymore? I do miss it though! The reason I don't do it as much anymore is because I purchase a Siemens SX66 and after adding only a couple of programs I find my device to be COMPLETE. I have actually reached a point where I am completely satisfied with my communication device and it doesn't need any mor "customizing". I am happy that I am satisfied but also sad that my modification games are over.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    It's not just the PIM, it's the 3rd pary apps. Most market surverys show that a mojority of users with Symbian handsets (series 60 etc) don't even know about 3rd party apps for their handsets and rarely even install them. Of course the PPC phone platform has tons of apps, but there has still been a void in 'push' email funcitonality that this msn messenger device supposedly fills. The problem is that the device is late and many other smartphones like the BB and Treos (via goolink, chatter etc) have been doing this for some time. (Just to note, BB connect client is also now available for several Symbain handsets). Thus for me, it's a platform decision rather than just a purely hardware spec decision. Also, a device may have all world specs, but it also has to be user friendly which I found the treo be....

And yes, it is just an expensive toy to most of us!
    I would argue that there are more PUSH email programs for the PPC than Treo. GoodLink also works awesome on PPC... I use it, and many of the customers I have installed GoodLink for use it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    One of the things that I enjoyed from my Treo 600 was looking through here to find different ways to tinker with and improve my Treo. That was part of the fun. I usually don't do that anymore? I do miss it though! The reason I don't do it as much anymore is because I purchase a Siemens SX66 and after adding only a couple of programs I find my device to be COMPLETE. I have actually reached a point where I am completely satisfied with my communication device and it doesn't need any mor "customizing". I am happy that I am satisfied but also sad that my modification games are over.
    Hmmm.... Interesting! I believe this is a rebadged O2 XDA IIs which I have had my eye on. It does look great but I've heard really bad things about the Bluetooth implementation and constant need for resets. (Not that that makes it much different from a Treo). I've been holding out on upgrading from my Treo 600 until I can establish who provides a convergent device whose cellphone functionality has reached the standard of a low end Nokia. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I had the unofficial BT patch that fixed the BT issues but now Siemens has released an official update that takes care of it.
    I updated my SX66 two days ago. It was better without that update. I never had BT static and popping. Now I do. I never had random resets. Now I do.

Isn't life grand?
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    No CDMA = VERY LIMITED ROAMING capability with GSM only. Ever try using a GSM phone outside of a big city or away from the interstate?

?

Yes, I do this all the time. Works great. When was the last time you used GSM? Where are you? Coverage has expanded quite a bit recently.

Just curious,
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    farz,
    in your original statement you mentioned nothing about coverage, you simply said gsm has the largest cell network in the usa. i apologize for sticking up for you since obviously i didn't have any idea what you were talking about, and still don't. "cell network" is vague... subscribers? customers? coverage? personally i thought verizon DID have the best coverage in all areas, and what i mean by best is most. cingular has the most customers due to the combination of at&t, but from your statement it seems you imply that now cingular has the most reach (coverage) than verizon. even if that is true, the more popular by subscribers technology is cdma due to subscribers. originally i thought you meant gsm had more customers, but if this was not your intent, so be it. regardless, the hp phone looks nice. t-mobile's flip up magician looks nice as well.
    At the end of the day, none of it matters. Just because GSM has a larger coverage footprint worldwide, you have to have a quad-band US phone to tap into that. Also, data speeds on EDGE will NEVER (and I mean NEVER) catch up with CDMA. The costs are simply too high - the reason that CDMA is better is because of data speed and its cell re-use pattern in 3G - interference is greater in GSM -based technologies because of the re-use pattern you have to employ to avoid cross-channel interference. The investment to get EDGE to catch up to TODAY's CDMA speeds (not 3G-CDMA, mind you) would require just about as much money as was spent on the first 5 years of GSM deployment. That is the trouble - GSM or TDMA (related cousins) are cheaper to deploy initially, but have to undergo MAJOR upgrades to make the new enhancements. CDMA upgrades are much less invasive ...

CDMA wins!
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    No CDMA = VERY LIMITED ROAMING capability with GSM only. Ever try using a GSM phone outside of a big city or away from the interstate?
    I had responded affirmatively earlier; however, I took the train to Chicago on Monday which I rarely do, and I had no service for more than a half hour after we left the Kalamazoo station. A woman across the aisle had some breaking up of her Verizon connection, but she had one. I checked an Amtrak route map and did see that the train takes a sharp turn south at that point, whereas I-94 continues westward. So, sndtubes has a point.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I updated my SX66 two days ago. It was better without that update. I never had BT static and popping. Now I do. I never had random resets. Now I do.

Isn't life grand?
    I wonder why ? Mine is working just as good as before.....which was great!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast