Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultip
    I know I'm a first time poster but I've been lurking on treocentral for a while.
    In my opinion this is the real Treo killer if there ever was one:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5757.html

    What more could you need in a smartphone?
    Triband GSM, GPRS, 3G (WCDMA, UMTS = 3G GSM not to be confused with CDMA2000 1xEV, EV-DO = 3G CMDA), Bluetooth, Integrated Wifi, not 1 but 2 integrated cameras.
    Now that is Treo users wishlist at the moment (Perhaps the Treo 700 will deliver) but T-mobile will deliver it this summer. Probably not in the US but it would be worth ordering it from Germany in my opinion.
    It would be a shame to leave Palm behind but P1 after the revolutionary 600 seems to be content to take baby steps from the 600 to the 650 instead of continuing to stay at the head of the technology curve.
    Not quite. For the most part, Treo users don't want a flip phone. We love being able to use the phone with one hand. I found not having a flip to be a huge benefit of going from the 300 to the 600.
  2. #22  
    That MDA IV looks like a Sidekick or a blackberry with a flip rather than a PDA/Phone.
  3. #23  
    to be honest this ipaq looks cool.....however the H63xx series looked amazing, but came out with a slow processor when compared to the already released i-Mate/XDAII.... and well it was apparently full of bugs and still is. I have to admit this device does look cool and such, and ive always wanted a PPC and well with EDGE now and 850, so i may consider this. But if it is anything like the 63xx and/or the the add on module for the old ipaq series it may not be all that good...but again it looks cool
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    No CDMA = VERY LIMITED ROAMING capability with GSM only. Ever try using a GSM phone outside of a big city or away from the interstate?
    You realize that GSM is the largest cell network in the USA right?
  5. #25  
    Doesn't look impressive to me at all...what's so impressive? unless it's dirt cheap.
    I am the one
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    You realize that GSM is the largest cell network in the USA right?
    Not even close. Try again.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley
    It looks like Treo that runs a Microsoft OS. So what?
    We'll see one of those by year's end too!!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes
    No CDMA = VERY LIMITED ROAMING capability with GSM only. Ever try using a GSM phone outside of a big city or away from the interstate?
    Yes, for about 2.5 years now.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    to be honest this ipaq looks cool.....however the H63xx series looked amazing, but came out with a slow processor when compared to the already released i-Mate/XDAII.... and well it was apparently full of bugs and still is. I have to admit this device does look cool and such, and ive always wanted a PPC and well with EDGE now and 850, so i may consider this. But if it is anything like the 63xx and/or the the add on module for the old ipaq series it may not be all that good...but again it looks cool
    But the slower-processor compromise meant great battery life on this loaded device. I liked it very much except for the keyboard and relatively poor phone reception. This next generation should be a great improvement if past iPAQs are any indication.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ultip
    I know I'm a first time poster but I've been lurking on treocentral for a while.
    In my opinion this is the real Treo killer if there ever was one:
    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5757.html

    What more could you need in a smartphone?
    Triband GSM, GPRS, 3G (WCDMA, UMTS = 3G GSM not to be confused with CDMA2000 1xEV, EV-DO = 3G CDMA), Bluetooth, Integrated Wifi, not 1 but 2 integrated cameras.
    Now that is Treo users wishlist at the moment (Perhaps the Treo 700 will deliver) but T-mobile will deliver it this summer. Probably not in the US but it would be worth ordering it from Germany in my opinion.
    It would be a shame to leave Palm behind but P1 after the revolutionary 600 seems to be content to take baby steps from the 600 to the 650 instead of continuing to stay at the head of the technology curve.
    Welcome to the board, ultip. I don't foresee nor want to see Treo-killers -and I'm looking forward to a WinTreo. But I agree that this MDA IV may have the most to offer. It looks like a Motorola A630 for adults.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  11. sledgie's Avatar
    Posts
    497 Posts
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #31  
    farz,
    i'm just surprised as you that n00b was actually right about something! indeed, cdma has more market share and customers in USA than GSM, and when i say that i mean tdma/gsm/edge vs cdma/evdo. all in all gsm has about 66 million customers (i'm not counting us cellular's 4 million customers in here because i'm not sure if they are currently running gsm or have switched to cdma2000) and cdma has about 75million (NOT counting nextel's supposed merger with sprint of 15million). if we put nextel and us cellular on cdma and gsm respectively, you still get cdma 90million vs gsm 70million. astonishing, isnt it (and btw, nextel doesn't use gsm or cdma right now, but instead iDEN, whose data is amazingly only 9600bps!)
    snail snail snail
    still i think its quite an interesting device! wonder if the screen is 2.8 or 3.5
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    farz,
    i'm just surprised as you that n00b was actually right about something! indeed, cdma has more market share and customers in USA than GSM, and when i say that i mean tdma/gsm/edge vs cdma/evdo. all in all gsm has about 66 million customers (i'm not counting us cellular's 4 million customers in here because i'm not sure if they are currently running gsm or have switched to cdma2000) and cdma has about 75million (NOT counting nextel's supposed merger with sprint of 15million). if we put nextel and us cellular on cdma and gsm respectively, you still get cdma 90million vs gsm 70million. astonishing, isnt it (and btw, nextel doesn't use gsm or cdma right now, but instead iDEN, whose data is amazingly only 9600bps!)
    snail snail snail
    still i think its quite an interesting device! wonder if the screen is 2.8 or 3.5
    You both forgot about analog as well. CDMA wins in terms of users and analog wins in terms of coverage area in the US.
  13. #33  
    Gotta put in a word for the HP h6300 series. I imported a h6365 from doml in Singapore and my gf has been using it with no issues at all. In fact, she really seems to like it and she's a pretty critical user. I think HP made a logical set of compromises in its design, and once the GPRS stack bug patch (enabled large attachments to be e-mailed) was applied, it's been rock-solid. She's using BT synch and headset with impunity. So all this talk of bugs... ??? I suspect mostly repeated rumor which I, as a treo fan, know to be quite overblown.

    Todd/Indy
  14. #34  
    Rodolfo i agree..entirely...but i just kept on hearing all bad things...i wish i would have tired it...but its not in my criteria for purchase
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    farz,
    i'm just surprised as you that n00b was actually right about something! indeed, cdma has more market share and customers in USA than GSM, and when i say that i mean tdma/gsm/edge vs cdma/evdo. all in all gsm has about 66 million customers (i'm not counting us cellular's 4 million customers in here because i'm not sure if they are currently running gsm or have switched to cdma2000) and cdma has about 75million (NOT counting nextel's supposed merger with sprint of 15million). if we put nextel and us cellular on cdma and gsm respectively, you still get cdma 90million vs gsm 70million. astonishing, isnt it (and btw, nextel doesn't use gsm or cdma right now, but instead iDEN, whose data is amazingly only 9600bps!)
    snail snail snail
    still i think its quite an interesting device! wonder if the screen is 2.8 or 3.5
    Subscribers does not = coverage. Why do you think Verizon doesnt claim to have the largest cell coverage in the nation. Cingular now has that position. Its a fact, you need todo your research.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    You both forgot about analog as well. CDMA wins in terms of users and analog wins in terms of coverage area in the US.
    \

    Read above.
  17. #37  
    Also... as far as analog coverage goes, name a SINGLE analog PDA-phone. There are none (correct me if I am wrong). So since we are talking about PDA-Phones here, any analog coverage can't even be considered. On another note, cingular offers a GSM/Analog phone (GAIT). So if you really wanted analog it doesnt matter if you have CDMA or GSM.

    Also, at the end of last year ATT had completed putting GSM on every single analog tower it operates in the nation. That means where you had analog, you now have gsm.. At least for ATT sites. I have seen this myself, I recently went camping in the boonies (waaaaaaay out in the middle of nowhere, I passed by a few towns with a population of 50 or less) and I had GSM (att) coverage.
  18. #38  
    This HP thing looks decent, but their last try (6315) was a big buggy bomb.. The integrated GPS is a sweet idea. Keyboard looks a little bleh, screen is only 240x240. Good to see some direct Treo competition!!
  19. #39  
    The real Treo killer will be PalmOne themselves !
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions