Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    no idea about bluetooth

read all about it here: http://tinyurl.com/6fym9

am still with treo 650, thats for sure!

update: wifi + bluetooth is built in
    Last edited by wolwol; 02/03/2005 at 12:59 PM.
    You know, I would think that palmOne had some sort of legal leg to stand on about these other companies copying their form factor. The Treo line was the first phones (that I know of) to have the full qwerty keyboards and that distinct look. BenQ, HP, and even the AudioVox lines seem to copy them. It makes me kind of mad. Grrrrrrr.
    Wow... I have to admit this looks tempting... but who knows how long it will take to get to market. And it would have to have s decent battery life for me to even consider it.

But the fact that it comes with GoodLink... sweet! And even if it doesn't have Wifi built in, since it runs on the PPC, a SDIO Wifi card is a simple addition.

Good damn technology!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02...q_phone_plans/

"The device will operate on GSM/GPRS networks and support those of them with the EDGE (Enhanced Data Rates for GSM Evolution) bandwidth enhancement. There will be Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in there too, like the current iPaq h6315."
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    You know, I would think that palmOne had some sort of legal leg to stand on about these other companies copying their form factor. The Treo line was the first phones (that I know of) to have the full qwerty keyboards and that distinct look. BenQ, HP, and even the AudioVox lines seem to copy them. It makes me kind of mad. Grrrrrrr.
    Why are you mad? It's good to healthy competitive environment. It's good for the market as whole. Ultimately we consumers get better and better products. Besides if P1 sued HP for copying formfactor what's to prevent blackberry from then turning around and suenig P1/Handspring the very same thing. I don't think P1 has any patent claims on a pda/phone with a thumb keyboard.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    240x240 screen??? You've got to be kidding me. At least it's gonna save you on the data plan as the screen res is going to be too low to make anything out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
    240x240 screen??? You've got to be kidding me. At least it's gonna save you on the data plan as the screen res is going to be too low to make anything out.
    The screen isn't that bad. (Not as good as 320x320 I'll give you that.) I think it looks real purdy and I especially like the fact that it doesn't have an antenna. (Assuming that it doesn't have reception problems that go with the lack of antenna.) Maybe P1 will learn and do the 700 sans antenna, plus wifi. And built-in GPS is super-sweet!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    The screen isn't that bad. (Not as good as 320x320 I'll give you that.) I think it looks real purdy and I especially like the fact that it doesn't have an antenna. (Assuming that it doesn't have reception problems that go with the lack of antenna.) Maybe P1 will learn and do the 700 sans antenna, plus wifi. And built-in GPS is super-sweet!
    and 256mb RAM !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    and 256mb RAM !!!!
    Sure if you want to mention superficial features like memory.
    Didn't P1 have to pay RIM a loyalty for every palm sold with a keyboard?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    That seems pretty cool. If it works I would prefer that over the Tre 650. Don't get me wrong, I love the Treos, I just prefer WM OS because of the way it handles PIM, without omitting fields of data from my contact list. It does have its shortcomings though, just like the Treo.

Right now I have both a 6315 iPAQ and a Treo 600, plus my Treo 650 will come from VC one day...I find myself pulling out the 6315 much more than my Treo, partly because it is new, but also because I like it more. At least this gives users like myself a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    The screen isn't that bad. (Not as good as 320x320 I'll give you that.)
    Two things... It doesn't go into too much detail on the built in GPS. Are they just talking about the built in GPS every phone has had since 2003? How good can a GPS look on a unit with that low res of a screen anyway?

Second, because the screen res is 240x240, is software going to have to be reengineered to fit the new dimensions? If it was 320x320 I can see software working, although it would either looked like it's been scaled funny, or have black bars on the sides. But at 240x240 that's not possible.

If this had a better screen i'd e excited about it.

-BT
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Didn't P1 have to pay RIM a loyalty for every palm sold with a keyboard?
    As I recall, it was just for the Treo 600 thumbboards, as they used the design patented by RIM. The Treo 650 uses a Pa1mOne-deisgned keyboard, so that is no longer the case.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Handspring had a license with BB regarding the keyboard for the 300. 600 was different enough that it was not needed I believe
    Definitely my next phone. The 650 is junk to my while I had it.
    Great to see they are still trying to copy the Treo, but aren't there yet

256 MB on a Windows device is NOT like 256 on a Palm device! Memory use is MUCH higher on the windows mobile platform.
    OK, but is 256MB like 128 on a Palm? 64? 32? Of course, on a TREO650, 32 MB isn't like 32MB anyway....
    hmmm this thing is pretty i will give you that...and well this may cure my desire...but hey first the treo 650
    Hello. I think this is the perfect example of the market converging to a single form factor. Pretty much, the PocketPC form factor never took off, and is dead. I used a 3870 since its release, with the dual pc card/battery expansion pack, for EVERYTHING but my phone. I used wifi, terminal access, GPS navigation, mp3 and video playback. You name it. I dumped it for the Treo 650 and was able to duplicate EVERY function but wifi.

The PocketPC is moving to the PalmTreo form factor. Now, I think we can pretty much assume (it is PalmOne's last chance to get it right) an OS6 version will include support for essentially unlimited memory (everything should run from card memory) and dual card slots. (The Treo 650's biggest limitation--if I run all my apps from the only card, I can't really swap out multiple photo/mp3/video/etc cards, can I?) If "true" multitasking is included (along with an upgraded camera), we are done.

The real distinction to note here, is that the Treo 650 exists on multiple carrier networks, and the IPAQ Messenger doesn't.

In this new form factor, wifi is redundant (to useless). Better to build out networks of publicly accessible hotspots (I run some free ones), and fall back to a laptop (of whatever size), because if you need wifi (versus cellular data), then you probably need real computing power too.

I hated my PocketPC's poor implementation of pretty obvious stuff; but loved the Treo's better integration. Now I hate the Treo 650's (self-imposed) limitations...but I expect my next "next" device to be a NeoTreo too!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    no idea about bluetooth

read all about it here: http://tinyurl.com/6fym9

am still with treo 650, thats for sure!

update: wifi + bluetooth is built in
    the article you point to says bluetooth, yes and wifi, no. Where are you reading that wifi is built in?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast