Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    256 MB on a Windows device is NOT like 256 on a Palm device! Memory use is MUCH higher on the windows mobile platform.
    That's old think. My ~1000 entry phonebook takes up 310k on a Kyocera 3175, 229k on my XV6600 and 415k on my Treo 650.
    It was the 180, 270, and 300 keyboards for which RIMM challenged Handspring. The HS 600 was different and the Palm 650 again uses a non-RIMM design. Palm itself agreed to pay RIMM to use the original design on their Tungsten W. The RIMM patent claim is detailed and has to do with the size and shape of the keys, plus the associated use of the "rocker switch" wheel; it's not for the qwerty keyboard as such.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    What are the best kind of rumors?
    Updated rumors:
    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000960031274/
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    HW6500 is not even in the same class. It has built in GPS.

comparing hw6500 to 650 is like comparing PDA2k to SX66/PDA2K.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    You know, I would think that palmOne had some sort of legal leg to stand on about these other companies copying their form factor. The Treo line was the first phones (that I know of) to have the full qwerty keyboards and that distinct look. BenQ, HP, and even the AudioVox lines seem to copy them. It makes me kind of mad. Grrrrrrr.
    Nope Mac tried to sue MS back in the day when Windows first came out...the courts said that you can't copyright "a feel". I think this form factor would be along the same category.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    That's old think. My ~1000 entry phonebook takes up 310k on a Kyocera 3175, 229k on my XV6600 and 415k on my Treo 650.
    You might want to update your Treo's ROM and try this again.
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/pa...650_ROM_Update
    Does anyone see anything about dimensions? I didn't, and something about it makes me feel it's bigger than the Treo. If so, I don't want it in my pocket, or in my hand as a phone. If it really is the same size as a Treo, then it's all going to depend on the OS. I still think the Palm OS is better for me, and for what I use it for, than Windows. But M$ keeps working at it, and maybe one day they'll get it right.

I wonder what battery life is going to be keeping that 256MB of memory refreshed?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Does anyone see anything about dimensions? I didn't, and something about it makes me feel it's bigger than the Treo. If so, I don't want it in my pocket, or in my hand as a phone. If it really is the same size as a Treo, then it's all going to depend on the OS. I still think the Palm OS is better for me, and for what I use it for, than Windows. But M$ keeps working at it, and maybe one day they'll get it right.

I wonder what battery life is going to be keeping that 256MB of memory refreshed?
    the i750/730/mini are all smaller.

the hw6500 will be slightly wider, from what I see.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    It will be pretty much the same size as the 6300 series iPAQ, if I'm not mistaken.

If it is more reliable than the iPAQ 6315, it may actually have a serious advantage over the Treo as a data device. It will suffer as a phone mainly due to size though. I am willing to give it a try, as I like the 6315 a lot and this device should be a great upgrade...but the 650 is just better for me right now since it has a keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    HW6500 is not even in the same class. It has built in GPS.

comparing hw6500 to 650 is like comparing PDA2k to SX66/PDA2K.
    While I agree on the first point, I want to be picky about the second. The SX66 is indeed a PDA2K w/o a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    You might want to update your Treo's ROM and try this again.
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/pa...650_ROM_Update
    Thanks for the tip. The file is now 316k; slightly larger than the OS4 version and 50% larger than my PPC file (identical entries).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    That's a pretty good improvement, but still larger than the PPC file. Thanks for posting the file sizes.
    Where is this leading? I'm afraid to think. PPC vsTreo pissing contest? If so, forget it, man!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    hmmm this thing is pretty i will give you that...and well this may cure my desire...but hey first the treo 650
    yeah we have to deal with what we got. Although you could order this it won't have edge. But it does have a 1.3mp cam. And of course full screen wmv's. And a proper damn normal size headphone jack.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Does anyone see anything about dimensions? I didn't, and something about it makes me feel it's bigger than the Treo. If so, I don't want it in my pocket, or in my hand as a phone.
    I saw the dimensions on this web site as:

"...the 6500 is 4.5 inches long, 2.8 inches wide, and 0.63 inches thick."

I think HP is trying to compete directly with RIM and these dimensions are nearly identical to the Blackberry 77xx.
    Last edited by jeeter; 04/03/2005 at 10:47 PM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12