1.    #1  
    Smartphone is a minature marvel
    Audiovox's Windows Mobile handset approaches perfect portable device status

By Gary Krakow
    Columnist
    MSNBC
    Updated: 2:16 p.m. ET Jan. 28, 2005

Iíve become kind of bored with handheld computers and PDAs recently. Office software integration is nice, but if I need to do real work, I can carry a small laptop, like the IBM X40. What I want in a handheld device is different: a world phone that I can load with my calendar and phone contacts, that lets me surf the Web, send instant messages and even play music and video clips.

I think Iíve found what Iím looking for in the Audiovox SMT5600. This is one terrific smartphone, a nearly perfect device.
    [snip -KR]

URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6880000/
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 02/01/2005 at 09:12 AM.
    There is another forum for discussion of other Smartphones. Trust me, members of TC have version of the Audiovox SMT5600. New to you.
    We need to email the author of this review, he has no idea what integration is !
    good price, but without a keyboard, it's no Treo slayer to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    good price, but without a keyboard, it's no Treo slayer to me.
    No keyboard and no touch screen. Ok if you don't want to enter much text/data, but for me it would be a nightmare.
  6. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    It isn't even in the same league. A Motorola Mpx220 killer maybe but not a Treo.
    Some PPC fans are truly desparate. I looked into both the SMT5600 and MPX220, and for the same exact difficiency I rejected both, even if they were given to me free. Motorola and Audiovox both missed the boat by introducing these crippled pocket PC phones. I hope the CEO's of both companies are sentenced to a lifetime of using T9 multitap text input to rewrite the library of congress.

In the meantime, my PPC6601 with its multiple input capabilities like virtual keyboard, letter recognizer, block recognizer, scriber hand hand recognition + the sliding flat QWERTY, which I'm not comfortable with, make up for some of their bad deeds.
  8.    #8  
    COMPETITION IS GOOD. I could care less what company wins. GIVE ME A DECENT PRODUCT AT A DECENT PRICE. May the best one win.
    Gee, an MSNBC reporter likes an MS powered smartphone. What a surprise! Have you ever seen Time Magazine (a division of Time Warner) give a bad review to a Warner Bros. movie?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Gee, an MSNBC reporter likes an MS powered smartphone. What a surprise! Have you ever seen Time Magazine (a division of Time Warner) give a bad review to a Warner Bros. movie?
    yes - it's all part of one big vast conspiracy against Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    COMPETITION IS GOOD. I could care less what company wins. GIVE ME A DECENT PRODUCT AT A DECENT PRICE. May the best one win.
    Competition is good. And, this is a DECENT phone, at a DECENT price. But so are any number of phones that cell carriers routinely give away free or at next to nothing.

I'm no blind loyalist, but just because it's decent, doesn't mean it's a Treo killer.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    for $50 more get a blackberry.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Gekko, how is this new? Nokia's been dumping tons of Symbian Series 60 mobiles like the 3650 etc for FREE for years now. Just b/c the SMT5600 is selling for $150 USD or whatever doesn't mean it's a Treo killer. The device is not even in the same category or niche as the Treo. It's a M$ Smarphone platform device first of all with no touchscreen, no thumbboard and no compatibility with WM03 PPC apps. It is not trying to be a pda replacement...it's trying to be a really nice smartphone to compete with all the Series 60 Symbian phones...a totally different market. You got your apples and oranges mixed up...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions