1.    #1  
    I have spent so much time lurking on these boards that I'm ashamed to admit it. It's kind of sad how much the allure of a new gadget can overtake someone's life! But I was hoping to rely on the expertise of the crew here for some advice!

I am a medical resident looking for a new phone. Requirements include:

1. Cingular service (my girlfriend has AT&T, and those free mobile to mobile minutes definitely help when you're long distance).

2. Bluetooth (hopefully gone are the days when I had to type all my phonebook entries by hand using the T9 phone system)

3. Mac compatible (new owner of a Mac mini. Would love to use the phone's BT capabilities. I am amenable to Pocket PC's as well, considering the mac compatiblity software out there).

4. Smartphone capability. Initially this is why I was sold on the Treo 650. I thought it would be the perfect convergence device: I could have drug databases (Epocrates), conference reminders, and a phone in one device and look cool by having a five pound brick clipped to my belt! I have a semi-ancient Palm Vx, which has served me well, but it would be nice to get rid of one device.

5. Internet capability. I am by no means a power user. I will NOT be checking my stocks every five minutes, or negotiating mergers and acquisitions on the phone. But wouldn't it be cool if you could check movie times and / or directions when you're lost on the road?

6. Most importantly, a phone that works! I've been scarred by reading about all the troubles that phone/pda or phones can have. My number one priority is to have a phone that gets good reception and phone calls.

My thoughts:
    Treo 650 (Pros: everything I need. Cons: size, PDA versus phone.

SMT 5600 (Pros: everything I need. Small size. Cons: I think this would take some work. My understanding is I would have to buy the phone off of Ebay, then unlock it, and add a Cingular chip).

Sony T637 (Pros: free, or nearly free! Cons: no smart phone, I don't think I could sync events or basic info other than phone numbers. I guess in this case the Palm would not undergo early retirement).

Any other phones/comments greatly appreciated!

Also, have people preferred PocketPC or Palm on Mac devices?

Thanks!
    you'll get both camps of folks (palm lovers and PPC lovers) all telling you why they think the device they've chosen is best. If you can, try both platforms and see which you like more. This forum is hard to get unbiased opinions in - of course, perhaps you're not looking for objectivity. In that case, I'd also suggest posting in the core Treo threads, and you'll get 5000 folks saying they love the Treo. And if you go over to pocket pc-based forums, you'll get that side's thoughts as well.

Just try them both if you can, then make your own decision. I just think a phone is too personal a tool to take the opinions of others and apply them to yourself.
    Good luck!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    This is a pretty interesting time to be looking at PDA phones. What's state-of-the-art today will be obsolete in six months. A couple of thoughts for you:
    1. Cingular is GSM, and a lot of their cell phone towers are set up for 850 MHz. If you get a European phone, it won't support 850 and you won't be happy. A quad-band phone will work, of course. A lot of PPC lovers are waiting for the US version of the i-mate JAM for this very reason. It's rumored to be out sometime next month.
    2. The Treo 650 has a lot going for it. The GSM version is also due out next month.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the Treo 650 or the JAM.
    I'm more interested on your thoughts about that new Mac Mini you have.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanyoung
    I have spent so much time lurking on these boards that I'm ashamed to admit it. It's kind of sad how much the allure of a new gadget can overtake someone's life! But I was hoping to rely on the expertise of the crew here for some advice!

I am a medical resident looking for a new phone. Requirements include:

1. Cingular service (my girlfriend has AT&T, and those free mobile to mobile minutes definitely help when you're long distance).

2. Bluetooth (hopefully gone are the days when I had to type all my phonebook entries by hand using the T9 phone system)

3. Mac compatible (new owner of a Mac mini. Would love to use the phone's BT capabilities. I am amenable to Pocket PC's as well, considering the mac compatiblity software out there).

4. Smartphone capability. Initially this is why I was sold on the Treo 650. I thought it would be the perfect convergence device: I could have drug databases (Epocrates), conference reminders, and a phone in one device and look cool by having a five pound brick clipped to my belt! I have a semi-ancient Palm Vx, which has served me well, but it would be nice to get rid of one device.

5. Internet capability. I am by no means a power user. I will NOT be checking my stocks every five minutes, or negotiating mergers and acquisitions on the phone. But wouldn't it be cool if you could check movie times and / or directions when you're lost on the road?

6. Most importantly, a phone that works! I've been scarred by reading about all the troubles that phone/pda or phones can have. My number one priority is to have a phone that gets good reception and phone calls.

My thoughts:
    Treo 650 (Pros: everything I need. Cons: size, PDA versus phone.

SMT 5600 (Pros: everything I need. Small size. Cons: I think this would take some work. My understanding is I would have to buy the phone off of Ebay, then unlock it, and add a Cingular chip).

Sony T637 (Pros: free, or nearly free! Cons: no smart phone, I don't think I could sync events or basic info other than phone numbers. I guess in this case the Palm would not undergo early retirement).

Any other phones/comments greatly appreciated!

Also, have people preferred PocketPC or Palm on Mac devices?

Thanks!

You didn't mention the Cingular SX66, which is basically the same as the Sprint PPC6601 and the Verizon XV6600. Have you looked into it? I have a PPC6601 and I love it. It'll probably do everything you want it to and more. Especially if you don't mind size. If you snoop around this board you will find alot of fans of the device (and some detractors).

Check this out: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000747026136/

good luck