1. frh
    Unlike Swap, I never used a Palm before. Actually, I bought one several years ago and couldn't get it to sync with my Win98 computer, so I took it back. But one of my Sons has one and has been trying to talk me into getting another for years.

I spend about half of my day in my truck driving from job to job. The other half is spent hydroseeding several residential size lawns (www.whysod.com). When I get home, I spend a lot of time on the Internet, including administrating a couple of industry and community forums (like www.santancity.info)

I've been with Verizon here in Phoenix a long before they were Verizon (11 years). On average, I spend 3,000 minutes a month on my LG VX6000, and know everywhere in the Valley where coverage is marginal.

Last year, months before Verizon actually got broadband here (when I was in between houses), I used the LG VX6000 for internet access. It was a lot better than dial-up, but only after hours and hours of repeated calls to customer service (telling the same story over and over again), going from WIN2000, to XP. Eventually I had tp replace my motherboard, but it finally worked well with my desktop computer.

Verizon's Customer Service sucks when you have a technical problem. By the time you get to the right supervisor who can actually help you fix the problem, if you demand it, they have the authority to give you a good deal $ credit for the hassle caused by their lack of training... But you have to ask / demand.

For a variety of reasons (email, mapquest, yellow pages lookup, using info on websites as a sales toool, reviewing documents that change too often to carry print-outs, etc.), I'm ready to have internet access (and GPS) in my truck.

I'm paying $80 a month for high speed cable internet access that could be replaced with a $50 Verizon plan on the LG 6000 or an Audiovox XV6600. I already have a spare phone on my account, so I figured I'd go back to my Motorola V-60 as my primary phone and use the LG VX6000 for internet access for my laptop in the truck, and the desktop at home. But I can't get the damned V60 to stay in digital mode.

And the laptop turned out to be un-workable in the truck. Aside from I ordered the "brightest screen," I can't see it, and it's just too big to fit on the console between the seats. When I went out-of town, I spent hours in a motel room trying to hook-up to my "6 months free AOL access just to check my email. The laptop was a $1,500 mistake, that unfortunately I can't send back (because Dell's 30 day return policy expired).

I went into the Verizon store and spet 2 hours playing with every pdaPhone they had. Nothing they had except the Samsung i700 looked like a rational choice. Their brochure showed the XV6600 (VZ6600), and they said they had 5 in stock, but couldn't even show me one until it is released on February 1st. (And they said if I want one, I'd better be waiting when the store opens.) So, I planned to get my XV6600 on Tuesday, Feb 1st.

Then I started reading this and a couple of other forums. Damn, why should I spend up to $600 (they wouldn't tell me the price), if I can get one for $300. I'll be calling Verizon's Business Sales Monday Morning...

And I fully expect to repeat all those hours and hours of calls to Verizon's Broadband Customer Service before I get it to work properly and straighten out the billing screw-ups. (Been there, done that more times than I can recall.)

Hobbes, and a few others: THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION YOU HAVE POSTED HERE AND ON OTHER FORUMS. You've already made the decision a lot easier, and you are going to make finding accessories, software (ring tones), and even a case I can live with, and the entire transition a lot easier than I ever thought possible.

I still have a few questions. I have very big fingers. The slide-out keyboard might work occasionally (like the two or three times a year I attend an Industry trade-show / conference, but need email and internet access). But I seriously doubt I could get used to using it regularly, like in the truck.

I tried my Son's fold-up keyboard for his Palm. Again, it might work in an emergency, but no way could it work as a primary imput device in the truck. I made a small table for the center console that was big-enough for the laptop to sit-on. It would easily work for a full-size keyboard and mouse.

I'm used to touch typing on a split keyboard (around 60 words a minute), http://www.logitech.com/lang/pdf/cor...omfort_duo.pdf, or the Micro$oft Natural Keyboard, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...?type=Keyboard.

I've been reading controversial posts regarding usb connections and charging... Without having to go back and re-read way too many posts in several forums, my first question is, can I use a full size usb keyboard and mouse in the truck while keeping the pda charging?

If not, I guess I could live with a M$ bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=033, but is there driver support for it?

Thanks, Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by frh
    I still have a few questions. I have very big fingers. The slide-out keyboard might work occasionally (like the two or three times a year I attend an Industry trade-show / conference, but need email and internet access). But I seriously doubt I could get used to using it regularly, like in the truck.
    it really depends what each particular situation will be.

-for quick and dirty short messaging, a full screen virtual keyboard works pretty good. There is also various T9 like softwares for quick dabble with short messages/email. T9 like predictive software might be the best for using it in car. Most of these softwares has trial download.

-sometimes, in a trade show if you need to use it as mini laptop (typing longer email/text) Then a BT folding keyboard might be worth having. It's pattery operated and pretty handy if you do heavy typing. Some model has a 'lock' to make it very stiff.

So all you have to do is letting the phone in the GPS car cradle, turn on the BT, and type away with the keyboard on your lap.

-more exotic gadget like one hand keyboard. (steep learning curve to use it, but some people seems to like it. the brand is 'frogpad')

I've been reading controversial posts regarding usb connections and charging... Without having to go back and re-read way too many posts in several forums, my first question is, can I use a full size usb keyboard and mouse in the truck while keeping the pda charging?

If not, I guess I could live with a M$ bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=033, but is there driver support for it?

Thanks, Rick
    I've never heard anybody use full size wireless keyboard in a car. Kinda drastic I think. lol.
  3. frh
    I just got off the phone with Verizon. My XV6600 should be here tomorrow afternoon. The best price I could get out of them was $369 with a 2 year contract. Extra battery was $30. I guess it's time to start using Hobbes list of accessory vendors...

Suskind, a full size wireless keyboard doesn't seem at all drastic to me. I have room to set it on the little desk I made for the console, and I only plan to use it when the truck is not moving. I can't seem to be able to get used to my laptop's small keyboard, and it has bluetooth, so I was planning to get one anyway. But I'll probably try a folding keyboard with the XV6600 first. Thanks, Rick
    I just got off the phone with Verizon. My XV6600 should be here tomorrow afternoon. The best price I could get out of them was $369 with a 2 year contract. Extra battery was $30. I guess it's time to start using Hobbes list of accessory vendors...
    You did well Rick. Thats a damn good price. Wish I could have gooten mine at that number.

Bob Duckworth
    Seems to be getting lower all the time. I got mine for $399 in December, but I did get the battery for only $15 so we are mostly coming out in a similar zone. This is an absolutely awesome phone, pda, etc for only $400.
    Hold it guys. That big price differential I see in your posts could pay a big chunk of the the difference between my sprint vision and verizon's EVDO. I've just checked Verizon's web site and the price is still $549 with the 2 yr contract. Do fill me in on how you're getting it for $369. I paid $499 for PPC6601 with sprint, and still have time to return it with no penalty.
  7. frh
    Tony, call Verizon's Business sales group at 1-800-899-4249. (They close at 7pm Pacific time.) $549 for the Phone with 2 year plan. $100 off for voice/data plan (might be expiring today 1-31-05). $80.00 off for customer loyalty credit (they only wanted to give me $35, but I complained that in discussion forums, others have reported getting as much as $175 off). Half price on the spare battery (ends today).

I was in a Circuit City store about 2 hours ago, and they had a Verizon kiosk (not an independent reseller). The sales guy told me he could have beat the deal I got.

I don't know about Sprint, but Verizon has high speed broadband. You have to get the $50 a month unlimited data plan with the phone (that's the $100 discount). I plan to get a 802.11.b SD network card, then get rid of my cable modem.

Rick
  8. frh
    Tony, I just called Verizon to check the status of my order. It already shipped and will be here tomorrow. I told the Customer Service rep about the Kiosk guy's offer to meet the $300 price I saw in one of the discussion forums, and She gave me a $70.00 credit. Works for me. Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Hold it guys. That big price differential I see in your posts could pay a big chunk of the the difference between my sprint vision and verizon's EVDO. I've just checked Verizon's web site and the price is still $549 with the 2 yr contract. Do fill me in on how you're getting it for $369. I paid $499 for PPC6601 with sprint, and still have time to return it with no penalty.
    I paid $449.00 for my ppc6601 (with 2 year contract), i bought it on Jan 13th.

They also allowed me to not have to use up my "18 month phone upgrade" allowance because i added it as a second phone (you can do this if you pay more than $100/mo for phone service)
    Come to think of it I paid $479 ($629 less $150 instant rebate) and was able to keep my vision professional plan at $15 based on my Treo 650 plan.

Yes, EVDO is tempting, but I think I'll wait. Simple math shows quite a bit of saving at sprint over the 2-yr contract when it comes to the data plans (Verizon at $45 vs. Sprint at $15 over 24 months yields $720 in saving if I stay with sprint.)
  11. frh
    Fed Ex brought my VX6600 today. I had to upgrade my wife's phone number to get it. A simple ESN change should have transferred the VX660 to my spare phone number and put her phone number back in her phone. Shouldn't have been all that complicated.

When I bought it, I made sure to get the phone number for the wireless data department. That tech passed me on to a regular customer service rep that had me trying to manually re-progam the phone when it wouldn't auto program. (Only this guy never saw one before.) When that didn't work his superviser tried to get it to auto program again about 3 times. After She was stumped, She passed me back to the Wireless data department where another technician was stumped. All of this went on for more than 3 hours.

Nothing was acomplished until I finally wound up with 2nd tier wireless data technician who figured out that somehow they had not completed the esn transfer correctly. As soon as he fixed it, the 6600 auto programed. (I made sure to get the guys name and extension number just in case...) Sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it?

After we got it to connect to the internet, he looked up how to "Establish a tethered data connection using a PocketPC 2003 PDA." Note: Verizon Wireless does not officially support this type of configuration.

Remove the PDA from the cradle Uninstall any external keyboard software (if applicable)
    Tap Start
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Remove programs
    Disable ActiveSync
    Tap Start
    Select ActiveSync
    Tap Tools (in the lower left corner of the display)
    Tap Options
    Uncheck the following options
    * Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC
    * Sync with this PC during manual sync
    Click the Options button
    Uncheck Enable PC sync using this connection
    Tap OK, tap OK, and tap OK again to disable ActiveSync.
    Stop all running programs
    Tap Start
    Tap Settings
    Select the System tab and select the Memory icon
    Select the Running Programs tab and tap the Stop All button
    Tap OK (located in the top right corner of the display)

Sounds like it might be a better idea to get an SD card 802.11.b network adapter? Rick
    I went into a Cingular store after the holidays and tried their Blue Angel for about an hour (in 2 visits). I'm pretty familiar with the software as I own an iPAQ 2215 and had a 6315 for a couple of weeks last fall, so I mostly needed to test the keyboard. I have medium sized fingers and I decided that the keyboard just wouldn't do it for me. For me, it was both the size/height of the keys and the limited tactile feedback. To each his own. I also wasn't convinced that the slide-out keyboard is good for me, but I'd likely try one if they improved the keyboard. The Samsung i730 -if we ever see it- may be a thicker device given the bigger keyboard, but I'd probably prefer that compromise.

I
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    ....All of this went on for more than 3 hours.

Nothing was acomplished until I finally wound up with 2nd tier wireless data technician who figured out that somehow they had not completed the esn transfer correctly.
    Familiar with Sprint, but I guess Verizon is no better. I would've returned the phone and told them what to do with it.

he looked up how to "Establish a tethered data connection using a PocketPC 2003 PDA." Note: Verizon Wireless does not officially support this type of configuration.

Remove the PDA from the cradle Uninstall any external keyboard software (if applicable)
    Tap Start
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Remove programs
    Disable ActiveSync
    Tap Start
    Select ActiveSync
    Tap Options
    Click the Options button
    Tap Start
    Tap Settings

Sounds like it might be a better idea to get an SD card 802.11.b network adapter? Rick
    Stop, you're giving me a headache!!! LOL. That procedure is insane. My PPC6601 CD came with WModem software. I didn't have to do anything but quit activesync when I installed dial up networking and when I run it.

Here's what I did:

1. Copy the 3 files that came with your CD unto a directory in desktop drive c:
    2. Start wmodem on the ppc6600/6601 before setting in cradle.
    3. set the unit in the cradle. Windows should see it as a USB modem and offer to install. Use ppc660o & ppc6601 usb wmodem as its driver.
    4. Run ppc660 & ppc6601 usb wmodem dialer.exe from desktop

Viola, I'm connected to the internet by using my phone as a wireless modem.

Btw, did that procedure you described work? What's your throughput with the tethered connection? Mine is slow. I get between 22-73kbps
    FRH: Glad to hear you got it working! Sorry for the delay...been soaking up the rays on vacation.

Anyways to answer a couple of your questions:

Built In Keyboard: I am not the one ask in your case as I have really small hands. So the keyboard is just fine for me. I can type pretty fast with it. IMHO, the design of the layout works for me.

Add On Keyboard: Even though I like the sliding keyboard, I still have the ThinkOutSide BT Keyboard and their BT Travel Mouse. Whenever I am in a meeting or going to type long email (or post to a forum), I always whip out both of those.

I really like using the BT Mouse in the car with my BT iTrek GPS unit as well. That way when at a stop light I just reach over to the passenger seat and use it to click on anything I need instead of trying to aim my finger or stylus when in its car vent mount.

SD Wireless Card: DO NOT GET THE SCANDISK 256 MB WIFI COMBO CARD!!! They say they support WME2003 2nd but they don't and have stated that they have no intention to write drivers for it. So I would recommend getting the Ultra II 1gig (or they have the 2gig out now) SD card and a seperate Socket Wifi card. Later this year there are suppose to be some new combo cards that are rumored to work, but we will see at that time. My Socket Wifi card worked fine just out of the box.

I hope that helps.
  15. frh
    I honestly don't know if I made a mistake. I might have been much better off with a smaller laptop and an aircard.

So far I have lots of little issues with it. I can't see the screen in my truck (but that was before I started playing with the backlight settings). The resolution on the Solitare game absolutely sucks.

The very nice accessory leather pouch (with a belt clip) Verizon charged me $20 for pressed enough keys that it changed some of the default settings and ran the battery down in the 2 hours it took to go to the store and pick-up some screen protectors. (I found some "universal" cut to fit ones at Staples.)

But, I haven't even had a chance to read more than a couple pages in the 176 page pdf users manual yet. I think I need to spend a few hours getting to know the device before I start throwing more money into accessories. Rick
    Fed Ex brought my VX6600 today. I had to upgrade my wife's phone number to get it. A simple ESN change should have transferred the VX660 to my spare phone number and put her phone number back in her phone. Shouldn't have been all that complicated.

When I bought it, I made sure to get the phone number for the wireless data department. That tech passed me on to a regular customer service rep that had me trying to manually re-progam the phone when it wouldn't auto program. (Only this guy never saw one before.) When that didn't work his superviser tried to get it to auto program again about 3 times. After She was stumped, She passed me back to the Wireless data department where another technician was stumped. All of this went on for more than 3 hours.

Nothing was acomplished until I finally wound up with 2nd tier wireless data technician who figured out that somehow they had not completed the esn transfer correctly. As soon as he fixed it, the 6600 auto programed. (I made sure to get the guys name and extension number just in case...) Sounds a bit familiar, doesn't it?

After we got it to connect to the internet, he looked up how to "Establish a tethered data connection using a PocketPC 2003 PDA." Note: Verizon Wireless does not officially support this type of configuration.

Tap Start
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Remove programs
    Disable ActiveSync
    Tap Start
    Select ActiveSync
    Tap Options
    Click the Options button
    Tap Start
    Tap Settings

Are all of the Verizon branded Harriers shipped unconfigured? My Sprint PPC6601 came all configured. They must set them up for all of the wireless and phone/ESN stuff when they send em out. I spent most of the time upgrading my mail server at my office to 2003 exchange and creating a certificate server and configuring rpc over http so i could do the whole exchange over the air sync stuff, which works flawlessly, very quick.

Sorry you are having such troubles, I love the phone.
  17. frh
    It was configured - to my wife's phone number, not my spare phone like I wanted. Had to do that to upgrade my account. It should have taken 5 minutes to do a simple esn change and get the 2 phones to the correct numbers. I'm not sure exactly how / why, but they kept trying to change the numbers of the two phones in the wrong sequence. When a guy who knew what he was doing got on the phone with me, he figured it out right away.

I hope in a few days I can say I love the phone. But I have to get to know it first. Rick