1.    #1  
    I had the treo 650, but I returned it because of all of the problems. I hear that Cingular is going to release a version of the Blackberry 7100, which will be called the 7100g. I want to know though, if the data plans are going to be comparable to T-mobile's plan, which is $60 a month for 1000 anytime minutes and unlimited data. I've seen a few small discussions about the possibilty that Cingular may match T-mobiles plan costs, but I am not sure. Has anyone heard anything about this? I was with T-mobile for a year. They have the good prices but the reception is not great. This is why I am interested in Cingular, especially since they bought AT&T Wireless and should have much more coverage now. By the way, I read that the 7100g will have "enhanced network selection." What exactly does this mean? Mobiletracker.net says that this feature may be the cause of the delay of offering this phone.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Voice quality sucks on every BB device that I've heard people call me from. I don't expect this device to be any different, but BB's are known for email quality, not voice.

The "two letters for every key" keyboard has not met with the best reviews, so don't expect to be initiating too many long emails.

I'm sad that PalmNone didn't get their act together to have a stable product for folks like yourself who don't want to tinker to figure out how to remove the instability that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
  3.    #3  
    I've read lots of reviews on the BB 7100 and most of them speak highly of them.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataquest
    I've read lots of reviews on the BB 7100 and most of them speak highly of them.
    Perhaps you would be interested in this set of reviews from Engadget-- there are both pro and con reviews on the 7100t, which I have read is similar to the g-- perhaps there were advancements--

ENGADGET REVIEW

This quote struck me as being pretty unbiased-

My company builds software for PDAs and other mobile devices. I have several phones including Treo 600s, various PockePC based phones etc, that are used for development. The 7100t at first seemed to be a pretty nice device so we purchased it to evaluate it.

The BlackBerry scroll-wheel is a terrific feature but the good stuff about this phone ends there. The software is very limited and is sub-par when compared to its rivals. This device is a bad PDA and less than average as a phone. The phone’s quality is about that of a sub $50 phone or a give away for signing up for service. The quality of the device is sub-par when compared to its rivals. The software is very sluggish and the popup menus are obnoxious. The worst part is after only a week of very light use the phone no longer works. It has reverted back to a spinning hourglass from which there is no recovery. Software quality appears to be very poor. There is never an excuse for a phone locking up. The last thing you need in an emergency is an expensive phone that doesn’t work. I would suggest that consumers avoid the 7100t but if you already have one you may think about carrying a backup phone just in case. Overall I would grade the 7100t a D-.
  5.    #5  
    Maybe they had a lemon. Maybe not. Well, hopefully the 7100g will be better. If not, then I will make good use of the 14 day return policy.
    I had the 7100t and got rid of it. If your planning on using the phone outside, dont bother. You cant see the screen at ll in sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Perhaps you would be interested in this set of reviews from Engadget-- there are both pro and con reviews on the 7100t, which I have read is similar to the g-- perhaps there were advancements--

ENGADGET REVIEW

This quote struck me as being pretty unbiased-
    I don't think a quote from someone whose livelihood depends on the Palm and Pocket PC operating systems is unbiased.
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    Voice quality sucks on every BB device that I've heard people call me from. I don't expect this device to be any different, but BB's are known for email quality, not voice.
    Maybe it's your phone that has a problem? I switched over from the Treo 600 (original Handspring version) to the BB 7290 and voice quality is just as good as on the Treo.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    I had the 7100t and got rid of it. If your planning on using the phone outside, dont bother. You cant see the screen at ll in sunlight.
    Is that the only reason that you returned it?
    It earned PC Magazine's Editor's Choice: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1652070,00.asp
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    It's a suckberry from lawsiuts in motion! Nuff said!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Dataquest
    I remember back in the day when you couldn't use a Treo in sunlight. I will never ever EVER go back to doing that. Yikes. It sucks.

If you couldn't use your phone outside during the day, you'd return it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    It's a suckberry from lawsiuts in motion! Nuff said!
    Brilliant analysis.

Well thats a pretty big reason, but no there were other reasons.

I missed some of my palm apps that had no equivlant on the BB.

I found the BB OS to be quite slow.

The keyboard started to get very annoying to me.

I found that is does nothing better than my treo. (including mail)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegold
    Brilliant analysis.
    After >4000 posts, you start getting pretty good.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.