Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I saw one of these today: AudioVox XV6600 by Verizon.

What's everyone's thoughts on it when compared to the Treo 650?

I see these cons right off the bat:
    - Horrible keyboard (Does anyone know if it is usable?)
    - Large and ugly
    - Horrible keyboard
    - Kinda pricey when compared with the Treo.
    - Oh yeah, it has a horrible keyboard

But, it has one REALLY big "Pro":
    - EVDO "broadband" (faster than 1xRTT anyway)
    This last one might outweigh the cons ...

Any thoughts?
    Well this will soon be moved to one of the other forums, but before it does add this on the con:

-One handed operation difficult for many functions effectivly impossible for some
    -Stylus needed for some functions
    -Still a problem apparantly with a beeping that won't go away on the phone (fix is supposidly in the works but I don't think its out yet)
    -lower res screen
    -Reported problems with slider getting loose and wobbly
    -Microsoft
    -Techs know even less about this than the 650
    -They don't have Shadowmite
    -Horrible keyboard
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the feedback. Sorry if this was posted on the wrong forum. Since I wanted direct comparisons to the Treo 650 it seemed appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01

- Large and ugly
    - Horrible keyboard

Any thoughts?
    As a user of many phone OS's (Symbian, PPC, MS Smartphone, and the Palm OS) the major pros of this phone versus the Treo 650 is the OS. I have used all the menioned OS's and because I am a coroporate user that is forced to live and breathe through Outlook the Pocket PC platform is the attractive to me, plus it has the capability to do better multimedia operations than the Palm IMHO.

This phone is the same as phone as the following XDA II/PDA2K/Sieman SX66, but is a CDMA version. I believe all the other version also have Wifi built in. You would also be surprised by users opinions on the keyboard. Some actually like it a lot and the ability to hide it with the plus of having a much larger screen is enough for them to pick it over the 650.

Why am I going to get the 650 instead?
    While I understand some like the keyboard... I agree with you... it looks useless compared to the Treo 650 keyboard (and I had no problem with my Treo 600 keybord). The battery life on most PPC are HORRIBLE. I travel ALOT and need to be able to rely on my phone/pda holding a charge and my data when I can't get to a wall outlet easily. The Palm OS is more mature than the PPC platform and while I think the PPC can provide developers with the abiliy to do things on these devices that will leave Palm at the back of the pack... I can live with the Treo 650 for 1-3 years without feeling that I am missing out on some "essential" funcationality.

Just my $.02. If you want ot find out more about these types of phones I would suggest going to the Pocket PC forum at www.howardforums.com. A plethora of apps and device discussion mostly about devices much like the VX6600.
  5.    #5  
    Good feedback. Thanks!

Would this phone hold a charge for an international flight of say 15 hours? (Assuming I'm using it for PDA activities for a few hours)

And .... would the Treo 650 hold a charge in the same situation?
    The phone would definitley not hold a charge for that long.

I have no experience with the 650 on a flight of that length. But I can tell you that with the radio off and using only the PDA functions the 650 would last longer... but most likely not the entire 15 hours.
    Good feedback. Thanks!

Would this phone hold a charge for an international flight of say 15 hours? (Assuming I'm using it for PDA activities for a few hours)

One more things about my reply regarding this question. With the 650 you can have a spare battery. With the spare battery you would probably be able to get through the 15 hour flight. HOWEVER, and I still cannot believe i have not been able to find one... with the addition of the spare battery you think they would be a cradle that could charge the phone and the spare battery! I mean, what is the point of having a spare battery if you have to charge the "spare" battery while it is in the phone!
    I like the keyboard a lot better than the treo's, much more room. Not to mention you can hide it. The screen size is a big advantage over the treo. PPC is a lot more stable for me than the Palm on the Treo. I've have had this phone for 2 weeks now and have yet had to reset it. MS voice command is pretty amazing also.

As for the battery, the 6600 uses and external battery so swaping batteries out is pretty easy. Verizon sold me an extra battery for 30 bucks. With heavy use I'll have to swap it out towards the evening.

The charger charges both the spare battery and the unit
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    The phone would definitley not hold a charge for that long.
    Is this comment based on your experience with other PPC devices, or with your experience with the 6600?

Given your opening list of cons, I'd get a ten-foot pole instead. But if the EvDo seduces you, I'm sure with the radio turned off, you could use the PDA for several hours, especially using the power-saving settings. Get a spare battery and you could also listen to MP3s all the way there.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Get a spare battery and you could also listen to MP3s all the way there.
    Not to mention watching videos. Screen is a pretty good size. I started ripping my movies to PPC size
  12.    #12  
    I might have to look at it. It's nice to know that you can change batteries on both devices.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    Is this comment based on your experience with other PPC devices, or with your experience with the 6600?
    My comment is based on my own experience with PPC devices (the MDA I, engineering prototype of the MPx) and experience posted to www.howardforums.com in the PPC forum. The average battery time of these devices as described in the forum is about 1-2 hours less on one charge with the Treo 650.

- Large and ugly
    - Horrible keyboard

Any thoughts?
    You can add in the terrible battery life, terrible earpiece volume, terrible earpiece clarity, terrible ringer volume with the stock ringers and much less aftermarket support from users and software developers.

Another pro would be that it has a lot more internal memory if you want to use your SD card slot for something other than extra memory (WiFi, GPS, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by moppet52
    My comment is based on my own experience with PPC devices (the MDA I, engineering prototype of the MPx) and experience posted to www.howardforums.com in the PPC forum. The average battery time of these devices as described in the forum is about 1-2 hours less on one charge with the Treo 650.
    The MPx must have been fun to play with That was a phone I was excited about for the longest time, until I read reviews of the production model Only 32MB of memory? That sounds like something only Palmone would do And a slow TI processor? And the battery that comes with the MPx is a 980mAh battery... that would explain your subpar experience with battery time.
    Noob,
    What was your experience with web browsing on the 6601? Was it faster or about the same compared to the 600 or the 650? Were graphic intense web pages with Pockent internet explorer handled any better (or worse) than with blazer?
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    Noob,
    What was your experience with web browsing on the 6601? Was it faster or about the same compared to the 600 or the 650? Were graphic intense web pages with Pockent internet explorer handled any better (or worse) than with blazer?
    I liked the web browsing better on the 6601. The screen works well in landscape mode and it loaded pictures pretty well. It might have been slightly faster than the 650, but not by much. I've heard that WebPro works better than Blazer on the 650, but I've never had the chance to try it out.

The Verizon model with EV-DO will be a lot faster, but you'll also pay more for the service.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    You can add in the terrible battery life, terrible earpiece volume, terrible earpiece clarity, terrible ringer volume with the stock ringers and much less aftermarket support from users and software developers.
    To expand on the mono-adjective viewpoint:

- Battery life varies significantly by usage. I get a full day out of the phone with Bluetooth on, an hour of surfing, and hour of talking, and my email being pushed to me throughout (typical work-day use for me). I can easily get two days with BT off, no surfing, push email off, and a couple hours of talking (typical weekend for me).

- Earpiece volume seems more quiet than some expect. If you come from the Motorola world, you won't hear a difference. If you come from the Samsung or Treo world, maximum volume will be lower. I have no problem with mine. For those rare times when noise overcomes the headset volume, speakerphone volume easily does the trick. Headset sound quality is superior to Moto 720C, T270, and MPx200 as well as Samsung i600. It is on par with the Treo 600 and 650. ALso, people have commented to me repeated about how well my voice sounds when using this phone.

- Stock ringer volumes are too low for typical usage. Adding louder ringers is a simple matter of dragging-and-dropping any .wav or .wma file of your choice into the phone's "Rings" folder via the file manager. Problem solved.

Hope this helps.
  19.    #19  
    Does this thing have a camera?
    Does this thing have a camera?
    The Verizon XV6600 has no camera and no wi-fi with no announcement of including either, data is around $45.00/mo. unlimited. Word has it that Verizon's 3G service is faster than Sprint's 3G but is not as widespread yet.

The Cingular SX66 has a camera and wi-fi but a slower data network.

The Sprint PPC6601 has no camera and no wi-fi but has a camera version (PPC6600) due out at the end of February and has a fast widespread data network that is $15.00/mo unlimited.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast