Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Wozzer's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #1  
    So I played with a 650 and then a xv6600 today, and I was suprised how much I liked the 650, so I wanted to get some info from folks that have used both.

    To me, the keyboard on the 650 was a lot "nicer", the layout seemed more intuitive but more importantly, the keys were easier to press and I could type faster. For those who've gone 650 --> 6600, do you get used to the 6600 keyboard and can you type as fast?

    While browsing, I noticed that the 650 tended to bring up "compressed" websites without pics, whereas the 6600 brought up the full website. I figure this is because some websites (cnn, yahoo were the two I had in mind) offer a mobile version that is recognized when accessed via Blazer. Does anyone know if the 650 can bring up the full websites and whether I can enable a "reduced" or even text-only browsing option with the 6600 (and how well does this mode work?).

    I was able to navigate the 650 more easily with one hand than the 6600. Is this something I have to live with or are there just cryptic functions of the 6600 5-way I'm unaware of? In particular, can i remap the tab key to something closer to the 5-way control?

    Of course the big screen on the 6600 is a plus, and landscape is probably good for viewing movies (not much good for anything else it seems because the keyboard becomes awkward to access and without it or a stylus, navigation seemed impossible). Also, it seems that you can download movies etc on the 6600, but I couldn't figure out how to do this on the 650, is it possible to download movies or just any kind of files on the 650?
  2. #2  
    I would think that the answers you'll get here will largely reflect the personal preferences of the user, so I would take those responses with a grain of salt. Your own testing so far should tell you which device you'll likely prefer. I mean, anyone can eventually get 'used to' about anything. That doesn't mean it's the best for you, or even the one you'd prefer, if given a choice and evaluative test.
    My point is - you've tested and have exhibited a preference. Why not just go that way?
  3. Wozzer's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #3  
    Good point, there is a lot I like about the 650, but there are two things holding me back: I use Outlook and I feel the 660x would integrate with it better, and I do like the idea of true multitasking, especially for letting a web page d/l while I do something else.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer
    ..Of course the big screen on the 6600 is a plus, and landscape is probably good for viewing movies (not much good for anything else it seems because the keyboard becomes awkward to access and without it or a stylus, navigation seemed impossible)...
    I always use the horizontal screen for reading ebooks (I use uBook, an excellent free reader). I find it much easier and faster to read/auto-scroll the wider lines of text.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  5. Wozzer's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I always use the horizontal screen for reading ebooks (I use uBook, an excellent free reader). I find it much easier and faster to read/auto-scroll the wider lines of text.
    Didn't think of that, thanks!
  6. #6  
    I went to paw this device today at my local store. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put the screen into landscape mode. Worse, the keyboard appeared to be totally unresponsive. (It didn't do anything). The salesperson couldn't figure out how to make the keyboard work either. He said that the phone doesn't have landscape mode "but it has this horizontal scroll bar, see??"

    Any thoughts?
  7. #7  
    I assume by "this device" you meant the 660x.

    Landscape mode is set by going to start->settings->system tab->screen.

    here you have three options, portrait, landscape (right handed) and landscape (left handed). I actually programmed one of my hardware buttons to map to "rotate screen" since i use this function often.

    I don't know why the keyboard wasn't working. Mine worked straight out of the box, and I can't find a setting anywhere that would disable it. Also, I have read some things on the net about how there is no tactile feedback on the keyboard. You can certainly feel the keys pressing down, and there is an option to make a little "click" sound when you press them, which works great for me.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    I went to paw this device today at my local store. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put the screen into landscape mode. Worse, the keyboard appeared to be totally unresponsive. (It didn't do anything). The salesperson couldn't figure out how to make the keyboard work either. He said that the phone doesn't have landscape mode "but it has this horizontal scroll bar, see??"

    Any thoughts?
    My thoughts are most cellphone sales people are complete morons..
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    Also, I have read some things on the net about how there is no tactile feedback on the keyboard. You can certainly feel the keys pressing down, and there is an option to make a little "click" sound when you press them, which works great for me.
    Actually there seems to be a noticeable difference in tactile feel and response between the SX66 (cingular phone) and the PPC6601(Sprint). I was more comfortable with the SX66, but ended up getting the PPC6601 just because Sprint (whom I don't like too much) has the cheapest data rate plan for PDA.

    I have not tried the XV6600 (verizon) to comment on keyboard buttons, but with regards to data rates its owners, despite the outrageous data rate cost ($45), are quite happy when they get EVDO speeds.

    All three phones are identical in screen res, orientation, etc.

    - if you can't live without WiFi, the SX66 has it built-in, while for others you gotta get a SD WiFi card.
    - PPC6601 has no camera. 6600 and SK66 both do
    - In Cnet reviews I read that the SX66 has 1.0 bluetooth. If this is true it would be a big disappointment.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar99
    My thoughts are most cellphone sales people are complete morons..
    I must agree with you there, and also add many cellular tech support people to that category. Once in a while I get a decent TS person, but many are just script readers, and have no clue.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    PPC6601 has no camera. 6600 and SK66 both do
    - In Cnet reviews I read that the SX66 has 1.0 bluetooth. If this is true it would be a big disappointment.
    PPC6600 by Sprint will have a camera at the end of Feb.

    the Verizon XV6600 doesn't have a camera.

    The Siemens SX66 IS apparently shipping with BT 1.0

    Do you know if a BT1.2 upgrade from BT 1.1 will be available for the PPC6601?
    Hope so, considering BT 2.0 is practically here.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    I assume by "this device" you meant the 660x.

    Landscape mode is set by going to start->settings->system tab->screen.

    here you have three options, portrait, landscape (right handed) and landscape (left handed). I actually programmed one of my hardware buttons to map to "rotate screen" since i use this function often.

    I don't know why the keyboard wasn't working. Mine worked straight out of the box, and I can't find a setting anywhere that would disable it. Also, I have read some things on the net about how there is no tactile feedback on the keyboard. You can certainly feel the keys pressing down, and there is an option to make a little "click" sound when you press them, which works great for me.
    My XV keyboard occasionally will not respond requiring a soft reset. I assume that the driver space in memory is hijacked by someother software. No big deal, but a small PITA.

    Bob Duckworth
  13. jglev's Avatar
    Posts
    403 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    PPC6600 by Sprint will have a camera at the end of Feb.

    the Verizon XV6600 doesn't have a camera.

    The Siemens SX66 IS apparently shipping with BT 1.0

    Do you know if a BT1.2 upgrade from BT 1.1 will be available for the PPC6601?
    Hope so, considering BT 2.0 is practically here.
    Also, the Siemens SX66 offered by Cingular does not have a camera. There is no word if they are planning to offer a version with a camera.
    Jeff
  14. #14  
    the keyboard thing is if you have a SIP selected, the hardware keyboard will not work... meaning, if you're trying to use transcriber or the soft keyboard, i dont think it will allow you to use the regular keyboard...
    the optimized page browsing is accomplished by downloading a different browser- other than pocket IE... or you can hack the registry to tell the websites that you're using a pocket device or a full computer to see the different optimized versions...

    i have one of these at work and they're fun devices, but its still not an amazing pda or an amazing phone, it's really good at both... i also like the 128mb of ram, but i have an ipaq hx4700 with a vga screen and 600+mhz, so i've got an amazing pda- the treo i personally think is an amazing phone and a great pda... however if you dont already have a windows based pda- the 660x is a great little guy and you really could have it an all in wonder
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  15. #15  
    I have been a palm user for the last 6 years. I had one of the big ugly ones, remember those? I have sinced upgraded at least 6 times and have had a variety of palm based pda's and phones. I had one of the first treo's, which sucked big time! Then I got the 600 when it was first introduced. Have used it for the last year everyday and for almost everything it could do. At one point about 2 years ago I got a pocket pc by dell just to check out the OS and I really wasnt impressed. Then ATT got bought out by cingular and I vowed I would Never go back to cingular, so It was time to find a new provider. My wife has had great luck with verizon, but alas, no treo 650 to be offered by them. Thus I had to look at my other options.....boy am I glad I did.

    The vx6600 is the best handheld i have ever used. I need a pda and then I need a phone. My phone only gets about an hour of use a day, maybe 2 at the most. So, I was interested more in the PDA aspect of the 6600 than anything else. The OS for pocket pc is considerably better than it was 2 years ago with much fewer bugs. The screen is excellent, brite, easy to see in all light. Beats the treo600 hands down. The new treo650 has an upgraded screen and bluetooth, so what. It still has limited use as a pda, which has been brought up in most of the threads in this forum and others. I guess what I want to say is that I was as hardcore a Palm OS fan as most of the contributers to this site and was reading through posts when the site first appeared back in the days of the cluncky b/w treo that still had the option of getting it without the keyboard! Not anymore. Pocket PC has me blown away. Maybe I was ready for a switch from the treo style too. I have been reading the posts, esp. by Hobbes, and many of my initial questions about the 6600 have been answered. Anyway, Just my 2 cents.

Posting Permissions