1.    #1  
    I am in Columbia, Mo (65201) with T600 on Sprint. Really want one of the PPC6600 devices, but the Sprint version has EVDO crippled (hackable in future?) whereas Verizon's is not. The problem is Columbia is not covered by the Verizon network.

Verizon's America's Choice coverage map shows that I am in an Extended Digital service area with qualifier that *Extended coverage provided through agreements with other wireless carriers. Their Enhanced Services coverage map shows No Coverage.

I have talked to a Verizon customer service rep, but would still like some issues confirmed:

1. I think I should be able to make/receive calls from my home area without incurring roaming charges.

2. The CSR said I would get data services but at reduced speed in the 40 kb/s range vs. the 80 kb/s range I get with Sprint.

3. I interpret the Enhanced Services map to mean that I would not receive Text Messaging (SMS) in my home area. This is critical to know.

I might decide to accept slower data service in exhange for EVDO when in a covered areas, especially since Sprint doesn't seem inclined to include with their phone, but text messaging is a must.

Any input from Verizon users about off-network usability would be appreciated.
    I don't claim to be an insider on this, but acording to VZW's online maps, you are not in the National Access coverage area. The chances you'll have EV-DO in the next couple of years is very slim.

If you're satisfied with the Sprint coverage you're currently getting, I would recommend you stay with it for now, keep an eye out for Verizon growth in the future, and hope Sprint expands their services there in the near term.

Did that make sense?
    I think coverage should be the number one question when choosing a carrier....data is close second.

As for VZ digital roaming contracts...you are probably using Sprint anyways through their plan.

The big question I would ask to is....if you are roaming do you have even have access to ANY data on the VZ network. With Sprint if you roam, no Vision, No Vision, No data, No data no internet, No internet no surfing / IM / Email.

Sprint offers a $5 a month to have 1/2 of your minutes on your plan used in roaming mode. So, since I have 2,000 minutes...1000 of them can be used while roaming with no additional charges.

If you do not have EVDO and do not travel into areas with your job that do. Then I probably reccommend staying with Sprint as well.

I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    A little off-topic, but how is EVDO crippled in the Sprint phone? I wanted to go with them because of the cheaper data plan, but hadn't heard about this issue. Also, is it possible to get the $15 data plan from sprint with the ppc6601?
    Sprint does not supported EVDO. That's why their PPC6600/6601 has no EVDO support. If your $5 will let you roam on Verizon's EVDO (data, not just voice calls) then you're in good shape, but Even EVDO is only available in 13 metro markets at this point. So, jus coz someone has Verizon doesn't mean he's surfing on EDVO.

If what Hobbes asks about data roaming yealds true then Sprint is not worth it. Payimg less for a crippled vision plan is not really saving money.
    I'm kind of surprised VZW doesn't cover Columbia. It's not a sprawling metropolis, but I-70 runs right through it, they have the University of Missouri and Stephens College. It's only 25 miles from Jeff City...wow, you'd think somewhere they could put a tower. Maybe on that big smokestack at the power plant...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So does the PPC660x actually lack hardware for EVDO, or is it just not turned on yet? ie, will we be able to use current PPC660x's to access EVDO when sprint rolls it out? I am fairly sure Sprint's roaming on VzW is voice only, not data, anyone confirm?
    SPCS EVDO is simply not yet turned on. They have tower work to do before roll out.

Bob Duckworth
    sprint has not committed to ev-do support publically is my understanding - my guess is that if sprint decides to support it on the ev-do network when it is turned up, no hacking will be necessary - kinda thinking that sprint will have a way to make ev-do access some kind of add on - another extra charge
    Sprint has publically embraced EVDO and has stated q4 05 for its release...this is all to the best of my memory from a few months ago. They were going to hold out for EVDV but settled on EVDO because EVDV would take way too long.
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    support on the ppc6600? seems to me that pcs has changed - 4th quarter before ev-do is turned up? man, we are lagging
    The original roll out was for q1 & q2. Where did you hear it was pushed back to Q4?

In fact I got word from the inside that they even some areas up right now to finalize their final testing....though they are keeping these areas a secret.
    i am guessing ppc6600, sanyo 5600 and others announced with ev-do availability - and i am holding onto that until the 25th
    We, geeks, will never get a moment's rest while there's a glimpse of something technologically bigger and better out there.

Since I hopped over to GSM by returning my T650 and going to Cingular, I'm now debating whether to get an SX66 or hold off, not so much for T650, but for something that will combine Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.1 or 1.2, and support EDGE. Amazing that little Moto v551 I got for free has Bt.1.1 and is EDGE enabled while the SX66 (brother of PPC6600) is not.
    Can someone clarify this a bit more? The iMate website notes two different PDA2K versions, one with EVDO, and one without. Do we know for a fact that the Sprint version is indeed EVDO enabled, with EVDO subsequently temporarily deactivated? Obviously, the Verizon version does have EVDO enabled.

Thanks!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    the sprint ppc 6601/x does indeed have an EVDO radio.
    And although the SX66 is not edge-enabled, Cingular still wants the $40 Edge rate (for unlimited data, and I think $30 for 10 MB) for that device.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    We, geeks, will never get a moment's rest while there's a glimpse of something technologically bigger and better out there.

Since I hopped over to GSM by returning my T650 and going to Cingular, I'm now debating whether to get an SX66 or hold off, not so much for T650, but for something that will combine Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 1.1 or 1.2, and support EDGE. Amazing that little Moto v551 I got for free has Bt.1.1 and is EDGE enabled while the SX66 (brother of PPC6600) is not.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    For data alone......this is why a lot of people end of over at sprint.