Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hobbes:

Other forums/boards are reporting that SPCS is delaying release of this device to fix the issues reported (extensively - BoD, and BT).

Do you have any news?

I would be great to see these issues fixed, but sorry that you have to soldier on with a cracked screen if the delay is real.

Bob
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    What is BoD?
    BoD = beep of death. if you have a sprint ppc660x, you will experience it soon. while you're talking on the phone, you'll hear a loud beep noise, then you'll have to soft reset your phone.

here are the latest release dates for sprint phones:

Late February Samsung World Phone
    Late February Harrier PPC 6600 with camera
    Late February Sanyo 5600
    Mid March LG VI 125
    Mid March Sanyo 200
    Late March LG 535

so...ppc6600 will be delayed like you said. end of next month.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    disconnect from vision before using the phon and it usually solves the problem. bothersome, but it seems to work
    As long as they fix the 6601's issues, I don't mind a little bit longer of a delay for the 6600.
    Smartphone Evolution:
    i330 (8/03), i500 (5/04), i600 (11/04), PPC6601 (12/04), Treo 650 (1/05), PPC6600 (10/05), PPC6700 (12/05), Treo 650 (6/06), PPC6700 (9/06), Treo 700wx (10/06)
    Okay, here is what I know...and don't know...at the moment.

I just called Sprint and verified that my 6600 is still on target to be shipped on Jan 25th. I believe this is the first shipment they are receiving for this phone. I assumed it would also be the time that it would be available for sales. When I asked to confirm that, they said that I would need to talk to TeleSales instead of customer service.

So they transfered me, I found myself at the start of the menu again. When Clair, the automated phone directory assistant, comes on she does not recognize the option TeleSales or Sales. When I said Business sales I was transfered to Customer Service, they said I needed to talk to Telesales and would transfer me. I then found myself at the begining of the menu again...and again found that I was transfered to customers service instead of telesales or Business Sales. This continued for over 40 minutes until I finally had to hang up with never talking with a sales rep!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I'm on the fence between the 650 and the ppc6601 and the extra delay is making the 650 all the sweeter...
    I know what you mean....when it comes to gadgets I am worse than a 3 yr old waiting for the sun to rise on Christmas morning.

I needed to have my 6601 replaced and could have done it right away but I have been waiting for the 6600 to come out. I figured when I finally take that quick snapshot I would have lost otherwise, my long enduring patience in this matter will be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    BoD = beep of death. if you have a sprint ppc660x, you will experience it soon. while you're talking on the phone, you'll hear a loud beep noise, then you'll have to soft reset your phone.

here are the latest release dates for sprint phones:

Late February Samsung World Phone
    Late February Harrier PPC 6600 with camera
    Late February Sanyo 5600
    Mid March LG VI 125
    Mid March Sanyo 200
    Late March LG 535

so...ppc6600 will be delayed like you said. end of next month.
    Considering that they've been talking about fixing the BoD since November, I'd take the end of February release date with a grain of salt. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Considering that they've been talking about fixing the BoD since November, I'd take the end of February release date with a grain of salt. Talk about shooting themselves in the foot.
    Noob...I get a kick out of your Beep of Death addiction.

As I have let you know before in other threads where you have raised this same point before, the BoD issue has been greatly reduced. In fact the very same weekend that many of the Treo 650 issues with not being able to be make outgoing calls while roaming were resolved....is the very same weekend many of us experienced a great reduction or illumination of the BoD....which has led to unsubstantiated hints that the network or towers may be playing a part in this issue as well.

Is it is still there? Sure. But for many of us, it is far and between. When it does happen it is as annoying as the phone ringing just as you locked the door to leave late for an appointment and you run back in to discover is was just a telemarker asking for someone who does not live there and then trying to sell you their low rates of 45 cents a minute long distance........but not an issue to kill the phone in the least at this point.

As I just said two or three posts ago....they are still on track for shipping out 6600s on Jan 25th. Though I do not know whenthe official release date of the phone really is yet....because I can't get to a stupid Telesales person.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/22/2005 at 01:25 AM.
    Oh yes... Sprint "assistance"... I remember it well...
    It was limited... No, it was slow...
    Oh yes... I remember it well
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Okay, here is what I know...and don't know...at the moment.

I just called Sprint and verified that my 6600 is still on target to be shipped on Jan 25th. I believe this is the first shipment they are receiving for this phone. I assumed it would also be the time that it would be available for sales. When I asked to confirm that, they said that I would need to talk to TeleSales instead of customer service.

So they transfered me, I found myself at the start of the menu again. When Clair, the automated phone directory assistant, comes on she does not recognize the option TeleSales or Sales. When I said Business sales I was transfered to Customer Service, they said I needed to talk to Telesales and would transfer me. I then found myself at the begining of the menu again...and again found that I was transfered to customers service instead of telesales or Business Sales. This continued for over 40 minutes until I finally had to hang up with never talking with a sales rep!!!!!!!!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Disabling Vision entirely is not a viable "fix" for the BoD. Sorry. It'll be nice to see what the phone can do if Audiovox ever fixes the issues.
    Noob...keep it real. The law of averages prevails, as in any situation, to the point that some have never had the BoD since that fateful weekend for both the 650 and the 660x....while others still have it on a regular basis. BUT for the VAST majority of us.....The issue is still there but GREATLY Reduced. The occurrences have GREATLY Diminished. The BoD issue for most of us has dropped from a major issue to a buggy annoyance.

Is it still there...yes

Should you be aware of before you buy the phone....most certainly.

Is it a deal killer.....NOT even in the least. Or at least maybe for only for a VERY minute few, aka a Special Agent for the FBI where that one call that may have the BoD out of the his last 600 calls has it and could get someone killed.

Yes. It has been rumored, but not confirmed, that if you disable data you may not have the BoD and some will do this if they are going to make a very important call. But this is ONLY a theory at this point. Just because it hasn't happened in the rare occasions that one the few actually do this has not had a BoD, doesn't prove yet it is a fix yet. Given the huge reduction in the BoD occurrences on a regular basis, it is going to a lot of calls under these circumstances to verify they NEVER get a BoD or are simply among the rest of us who now just RARELY get it.

NOOB....one of the major purposes of these boards and especially this forum, are people coming here to research how to spend their hard earned money. With a lot of them considering the 650 vs 660x really hard. It is important to keep it real, fair and balanced, not ignore the reality of benefit or an issue with a phone, and offer a related issue or benefit with the other phone they are looking out...aka 650.

For example it is very important in stating there is an issue with the BoD, but not to the point of giving them the impressing it is happening 1 out of 3 calls. Or that it is a never ending issue hounding every user on a per call basis without any progress for months on end.

Then simply make a direct comparison with the 650 whether good or bad...for example in this case it would be valuable to say that "the 650 has similar connectivity issues as some users are still experiencing challenges making out going calls while roaming, though as with the BoD on the 660x, and though still there for some, this roaming issue has also greatly reduced as well."

Fair and Balanced posting can prove invaluable for ones who come here (yes even given the fact it is TC) and does not know which way to go. Simply give the facts on both sides so they can decide which issues they can live with and which ones they can't. Which benefits are Must Haves and which one would simply be nice to have. Then they can decide for themselves what really is best for them and their needs based on the reality of the issues and benefits for both phones.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/22/2005 at 12:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    Oh yes... Sprint "assistance"... I remember it well...
    It was limited... No, it was slow...
    Oh yes... I remember it well
    I have been with Sprint for over 8-10 years. I joined sometime around 1995-98.
    I have to say that, over the years there have been issues, and even though I had to wade through some really stupid reps (which means having to call back to each time to try to get one that knows what they are doing)...they have Never failed to make me happy at the end of the day.

This the other day though was just ridiculous and really got me nerves as I didn't have much time that day.
    T-minus three days and counting....
    Here's to holding my breath!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    As I just said two or three posts ago....they are still on track for shipping out 6600s on Jan 25th. Though I do not know whenthe official release date of the phone really is yet....because I can't get to a stupid Telesales person.
    LOL, Hobbes. I get stupid telesales people all the time.

But since I don't care about the camera in a phone I did not hiss or scratch about the ppc6600. You never know, I may abandon all smartphones, PPC and Palm alike, if I don't like the 6601. I don't hate "dumb phones." I just wanted to be fully converged. Without WiFi and EDVO I can't call that convergance.
    FYI: I have had my 6601 for around 4 months now, and have had the Beep of Death exactly once, whilst I was still on the PCS network, but in Vegas (not my home area)...

Bjor...sorry, I mean Noob... The BoD is a minor issue for most, and while turning off Vision isn't a viable fix (somewhat akin to enabling the 650 for wifi), it's not a deal-breaker for me, and I wouldn't expect it should be for anyone else.

Think of it this way... has your cell phone ever dropped a call? Perhaps while travelling between cells? Have you ever had static? Have you ever not been able to hear the person at the other end clearly, or they hear you? These are issues most cell users live with everyday, especially those in marginal areas, and are all far more common than the BoD.

If those 'normal' cell issues don't make you stop using your cell phone, then the Beep of Death shouldn't stop you from buying a 660x...

- Smiles,

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    If those 'normal' cell issues don't make you stop using your cell phone, then the Beep of Death shouldn't stop you from buying a 660x...

- Smiles,

Ben
    Nope. It was the gigantic size and terrible sound quality that had me returning the 6601. I never got a single BoD because the 6601 didn't have time to before I returned it within hours of receiving it. It was very clear that the phone could never function as a "phone" in a satisfactory manner for me. To each his own.

As posted by Hobbes:

"Is it still a major issue....YES.

Is there some who still have it just as bad....YES

Does Sprint need to address this and fix it.....THEY BETTER."
    Last edited by noob; 01/23/2005 at 03:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Bjor...sorry, I mean Noob...
    - Smiles,

Ben
    ROFLMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast