Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Nope. It was the gigantic size and terrible sound quality that had me returning the 6601. I never got a single BoD because the 6601 didn't have time to before I returned it within hours of receiving it. It was very clear that the phone could never function as a "phone" in a satisfactory manner for me. To each his own.
    I agree size maybe an issue for some as a single mm larger than the 650 may not be acceptable to some, no matter what the benefits maybe. But a couple mm wider, and shorter (counting the 650 antenna), and thinner than the 650 for others is very acceptable for others who need the extra screen real estate with landscape mode for easier viewing of docs, spreadsheets, emails, or the web. I totally agree, and have stated over and over this is why it is important to do a little research on both, hold both, and then they can decide one is his "To each his own" phone and he will be happy with it.

As posted by Hobbes:

"Is it still a major issue....YES.

Is there some who still have it just as bad....YES

Does Sprint need to address this and fix it.....THEY BETTER."
    NOOB.. ..perfect example of what I was talking about before about you not posting fair and balance posts......or in this case selectively quoting me to prove your own point... ...you conveniently forgot to include the rest of my quote:

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Is it a deal killer?.....NOT even in the least. Or at least maybe for only for a VERY minute few, aka a Special Agent for the FBI where that one call that may have the BoD out of the his last 600 calls has it and could get someone killed.
    I gotta ask too... ...are you Bjork?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/23/2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Hmmm... That's odd... To me, the phone's size was exactly as advertised... Perhaps your's was 'inflated' somehow... Didn't you find it smaller after the keyboard fell off?

- B
    One can read about the phone/PDA size till he's blue in the face, but nothing compares to actually holding it in your hand at the store and using the keyboad. I found the PPC6600/6601 to be quite comfortable for my big hands. I was always afraid my T650 would slip out of my hands when I'm typing on these narrowly spaced keys.

As for screen size, I've always had 3.5 inch touch screens. The T650 screen was uncomfortable for me when I browse the web. The 6600 can orientate portrait or landscape for optimum view.

Once more, this does not have to be a peeing contest between Treo and PPC users. I'm a dual platform user. I only look at individual differences and do not make blanket statements like "Palm is dead" or "Winblows."
    Quote Originally Posted by ben1000
    Hmmm... That's odd... To me, the phone's size was exactly as advertised... Perhaps your's was 'inflated' somehow... Didn't you find it smaller after the keyboard fell off?

- B
    I didn't have any keyboard problems on my 6601. It was just much larger than the given specs when the keyboard is extended. If you do a lot of typing, the 6601 is pretty large. I played with a 650 at the store and liked it much better in most ways, but I prefer the PPC software. I wish that the Audiovox 5600 was available for CDMA.
    I played with an SX66, and the thing seemed huge to me. As a PDA, it would be fine, but as a phone that I keep clipped to my waist, it would be too big.

Your mileage may vary.
    Update on 6600.

My local sprint store has a actual working version of teh 6600 on display.
    Yes the one with the camera.

I asked about the 6600 and if it was instock and they said that the phone was special order only.

After playing with the 6600 for the first time in my hands, I realized that pictures on the net do the phone no JUSTICE what so ever. The phone isnt that big at all!! It fits very snug in your hands when talking. And oh my gosh the screen is huge. The buttons are a little hard to push though. I like the 650 buttons better, but I love the big screen too much.

Imediately went home and grabbed my boxes for my 650 and returned the phone. And return all accesories and special ordered my 6600.
    They said it should be in within 10 days.
    I hope this stays true.
    But it has to be, because I just played with it at the sprint store.
    The camera, mirror below, and I guess a flash below the mirror.
    Finnaly I got to play with the phone after many months.
    I might go back again very soon just to play with again.

Sprint Store.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lynhaven Mall.
    1/24/04
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I played with a 650 and xv6600 today, I have to say that browsing on the 650 was great, in many ways better than on the 6600 (which suprised me). The keyboard on the 650 was a lot nicer for me too, and the screen on the 650 was perfectly clear. Since I don't plan on watching a lot of movies on the 6600 (to me, a 3.5" screen is rediculously tiny for watching movies), the 650 seems really attractive. I'm surprised that I like the 650 so much compared to the 6600. Now I just don't know which one to get again
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer
    I played with a 650 and xv6600 today, I have to say that browsing on the 650 was great, in many ways better than on the 6600 (which suprised me). The keyboard on the 650 was a lot nicer for me too, and the screen on the 650 was perfectly clear. Since I don't plan on watching a lot of movies on the 6600 (to me, a 3.5" screen is rediculously tiny for watching movies), the 650 seems really attractive. I'm surprised that I like the 650 so much compared to the 6600. Now I just don't know which one to get again
    Yeah, the 650's one-handed operation is also really tough to beat.
    Looks, like I won't have to hold my breath much longer........as my replacement phone is being shipped right now!! Well, at least the 6601. I finally got over to Business Sales and confirmed with the wharehouse that the 6600s will be late Feb "as it stands now". Even though two other reps over the last 3 weeks have confirmed my 6600 would ship on Jan 25th, no on in Business Sales, including 2 levels up with managers and over at the warehouse could find any info on it.

BTW: If you do have a back order that lasts more than 30 days your order IS purged from the system (even if you pay the security deposit which another apparently incorrectly confirmed with me would hold your order without purging) and you have order it again and since it is first come first serve, you start at the bottom of the list again.

I'll tell you what though.....I can't wait to get it back again!!! As for the 6600, it is probably for the best that I don't have it anyways as some of the places I have to go for work do not care for, though not restricted..yet.., camera phones.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/25/2005 at 02:36 AM.
    WHAT???? Does this mean that there's no bug fix for the 6601 anytime soon either? That blowz.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haduken
    Update on 6600.

My local sprint store has a actual working version of teh 6600 on display.
    Yes the one with the camera.

I asked about the 6600 and if it was instock and they said that the phone was special order only.

After playing with the 6600 for the first time in my hands, I realized that pictures on the net do the phone no JUSTICE what so ever. The phone isnt that big at all!! It fits very snug in your hands when talking. And oh my gosh the screen is huge. The buttons are a little hard to push though. I like the 650 buttons better, but I love the big screen too much.

Imediately went home and grabbed my boxes for my 650 and returned the phone. And return all accesories and special ordered my 6600.
    They said it should be in within 10 days.
    I hope this stays true.
    But it has to be, because I just played with it at the sprint store.
    The camera, mirror below, and I guess a flash below the mirror.
    Finnaly I got to play with the phone after many months.
    I might go back again very soon just to play with again.

Sprint Store.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lynhaven Mall.
    1/24/04

What number did you call to order the phone? I would love to call and order one. If I don't have to wait until the end of Feb., that would be great. When it comes to waiting, I have the patience of a 3 year old.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    What number did you call to order the phone? I would love to call and order one. If I don't have to wait until the end of Feb., that would be great. When it comes to waiting, I have the patience of a 3 year old.

Thanks,
    I didnt call any number, the sprint sales reps ordered it for me.
    But indeed they have a 6600 out for display.

I knew I should have taken pictures of it with my treo.
    If I get a chance to go up there soon. Ill try to bring some pictures back.
    But indeed I think they it is gonna come out soon.
    WHAT???? Does this mean that there's no bug fix for the 6601 anytime soon either? That blowz.
    Noob...I am sure a ROM update for the 660x will available as soon as P1 has a memory fix update, resolved the issue of 650s not able to call out while roaming, and improved the sound quality from the last sound quality fix.

Seriously though, I am interested in which one will come out with a fix first. Hey, we should start a pool....Im in...since Imate has already released their fix I bet Audiovox / Sprint is not far behind.
    Actually I talked with Business Sales yesterday that checked two levels up with managers and with the warehouse and they all confirmed that the 6600 will not be available until late Feb "as it stands now". So I opted to have the 6601, and that is what is being shipped for me.

I am trying to call the store Hudaken ordered his 6600 to see if I can, but no one will answer yet. This will be cool if they can, but I think a floor associate didn't know the difference between the 6600 and the 6601....a telesales made the same mistake with me twice yesterday while trying to look up the information. What is strange too is Business Sales says that currently both are not available retail yet.

In fact business sales said that even if I got a 6600 they couldn't activate it because there is nothing in their system to do that with yet. Weird....the mystery grows deeper!
    Noob...I am sure a ROM update for the 660x will available as soon as P1 has a memory fix update, resolved the issue of 650s not able to call out while roaming, and improved the sound quality from the last sound quality fix.

Seriously though, I am interested in which one will come out with a fix first. Hey, we should start a pool....Im in...since Imate has already released their fix I bet Audiovox / Sprint is not far behind.
    Didn't the 6601 come out a month before the 650?
    Okay...given P1's history of responding to issues, in only my personal experience...I'll give a month an still take the odds.
    Follow Up:

I looked up the stores for Virginia Beach stores and found two:

Sprint Store
    2076 S. Independence Blvd. Suite 2
    Virginia Beach, VA 23453
    (757) 416-9685

Sprint Store
    4389 Virginia Beach Blvd.; Ste. 101
    Virginia Beach, VA 23462
    (757) 518-1270

I talked to one store and they never heard of the PPC-660x, as usual. I tried about 2 twice an hour for most of the day today and the other store would never answer their phone. Haduken, do you have a number for the store that you got it from?
    Follow Up:

I looked up the stores for Virginia Beach stores and found two:

Sprint Store
    2076 S. Independence Blvd. Suite 2
    Virginia Beach, VA 23453
    (757) 416-9685

Sprint Store
    4389 Virginia Beach Blvd.; Ste. 101
    Virginia Beach, VA 23462
    (757) 518-1270

I talked to one store and they never heard of the PPC-660x, as usual. I tried about 2 twice an hour for most of the day today and the other store would never answer their phone. Haduken, do you have a number for the store that you got it from?

The store was a booth in lynnhaven mall.
    I do not know the number there. But a sales rep is suppose to call me tommorow to tell me the update on the phone. The said they get phones faster than sprint stores. Supposivley having a hookup in kansas.
    After they call tommorow ill write down the number from my phone.

Ill post the number once I recieve it.
    I kept on telling the guy that the phone is not suppose to be due until end of febuarary. And he kept assuring me that the phone is infact out to buy already and he is getting one shipped to that store now.

I hope its true. But the model they have out is the ppc6600 with the camera for display.

Ill find out soon....
    Okay...given P1's history of responding to issues, in only my personal experience...I'll give a month an still take the odds.
    They've already released a BT carkit update (something that the 6601 sorely needs). haha
    They've already released a BT carkit update (something that the 6601 sorely needs). haha
    Heh. And I can see by this link that everything is working well with the update . . . not. Does P1 get credit for the speed of their software repairs even if they don't fix the problem?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast