1.    #1  
    The treo 650 GSM eta is not till feb and I need a media phone asap. So I got a SX66. First one was bad. I went through 2 units and 4 hours just to get phone and web to work...now I am after bigger game. and the whole reason i bought the phone...

Got:
    tibook
    1 gig sd card, usb card reader
    SX66 pocket pc/phone/pda from cingular

Want to do:

1) play imovies and quicktime made on ti book>transfer>convert>play
    on sx66 which uses WMP 9 ( which I never got to work yet, is 10 avail? and how do I download?)

2) sync entourage 2004 on SX66 and tibook

What else if anything do I need to do this?

Step by step of how I do this please?

TIA,

iZ
    I am not familiar with tibook or entourage since I have never used them myself. But I can tell you how I copy movies over to my PPC:
    • On the PPC, create a folder on the SD card called Movies or Videos.
    • Now either:
      • pop out the card and put it in the card reader and copy the movies you want over to your new Movie folder or
      • Open Active Sync. Click on Explorer and then drag and drop the movies you want to copy into the new Movie folder on the SD card.
    If you want to Sync anyprogram or file, you should use ActiveSync. If you installed the program through ActiveSync it should automatically sync it up for you. There is a list of programs that ActiveSync is syncing with, just make sure that program is checked.

As for syncing individual files, if you use ActiveSync Explorer to copy over the files, it will automatically sync them for you as well. It is worth verifying that the settings are set to sync individual files and update them.

Yes, I have read that there is version WMP 10, but I not looked for it.

I hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    ideawizard:
    i haven't usesd tibook either (not sure what that is) but neither wm9 or betaplayer (free, search google for betaplayer ppc) can play quicktime movies. you must convert.
    as for moving large files, i stress this, USE YOUR CARD READER!
    do not use activesync for moving mp3s or movies. it will take toooooooooooooooooo long. wm10 cannot be downloaded just yet until htc/audiovox releases or allows an update for it.
    I just saw the SX66 at the Cingular corporate store. It fit my big hands nicely. The keybard tactile feel is a little weird, but you can get used to it. The 7.3 ounces did not feel too heavy for me. My only problem is that Cnet review said it will not work with Edge tochnology.

Also, the price is also still steep: $699 w/o a contract, $599 with 1 yr and $549 with 2yr contract, this is of course after the $50 mail-in rebate.

So, I'm still shopping coz I took my Sprint Treo650 back on my last day of the 3 weeks trial.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledgie
    as for moving large files, i stress this, USE YOUR CARD READER!
    do not use activesync for moving mp3s or movies. it will take toooooooooooooooooo long.
    Fully agree...Second That....And don't forget it!
  6.    #6  
    Thanks sledgie and hobbes. Hobbes I have really enjoyed your reviews... active sync wont work on mac
    ti book= titantium powerbook.

so...

any idea how i convert the quicktime files to WMP 9?

and how do you find the sd card folder on the SX?
    I'm not much of a Mac user anymore, but you might find what you're looking for for .mov conversion here. Looks like they have software that might do what you're asking. Can't help with the Entourage question.

...and yes - use a card reader to transfer!
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    to find the sd card folder, goto file explorer (which is under programs on the sx66). on the upper hand left corner of the screen will be a directory, click that and goto "my device". from my device you will see "storage" and "storage card". storage is the rom space you have on the sx66, storage card is your card obviously.
    as for titanium powerbook, i believe the new qquicktime deluxe does conversion, but i thought you had to pay for it (this was a few months ago i tried converting while in a bad situation, was never able to accomplish this however). this might have changed. if you convert it to xvid/divx or some mpeg-4 codec, you can use the free betaplayer to play it. keep us updated on how you accomplish this - i have a dimage xG camera and i would like to convert some of my qt/mov files as well so i can watch motorcycle adventures
  9. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    BetaPlayer is a great media player for PPC - it blows away WMP. It is also free.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks I am still trying to do this... I am not suceeding. it is very confusing all of these formats, sofware, codecs, etc. to a beginner.

I dont want to buy a bunch of software that I cant take back if it doesnt work

any one know if quicktime pro will convert to something that will play on the SX66?

Want to play the imovie movies I made on my pocket pc.

how do I do this? What software is needed? preferably free..

Has anyone done this?

TIA

iZ
  11.    #11  
    Here is the info I need:

1) My I MOVIE
    .mov
    System:
    Mac 10.3
    I. 2) How and what to convert TO to play on WMP on the sx66
    CONVERSION STEP BY STEP AND TO WHAT FORMAT?
    II. 3) how do I get it on the SD card on a mac so the SX66 sees it
    MAC TO PUTTING CONVERTED MOVIE ON SD CARD STEP BY STEP
    III. 4) how do I transfer to SX66 SO I CAN PLAY THE MOVIE!
    STEP BY STEP ON HOW TO PUT ON PC FROM SD CARD

TIA

iZ
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    iZ,
    i'm not exactly sure what you mean by #3 and #4, but you want to convert the .mov to any .avi or .mpg. mpeg 4 will be highest resolution but most compression. i am not sure if qt pro will convert to wmv (windows media video) because that would require a licensing fee. which means more than likely you will have to convert that .mov to a .avi or .mpg . as far as i know, the wm9 that comes with the sx66/660x series only plays mpeg 1 or 2, so you will more than likely have to download betaplayer, which is a fantastic program!
    getting the movie on the sd is easy, just connect your usb card reader and transfer it to somewhere on your card. i made a folder on my card named "chappelle" and transferred all the tv eps over of the series.
    btw, if you would like trhe see betaplayer in action, on the website there are two 2min30sec videos of matrix trailer, one wide screen and one full screen. you will really appreciate the screen size on the sx66 and resolution after seeing them. quite amazing, actually.
    btw, when i say move the movie over i mean, drag and drop. hope this helps. in the meantime, i will look to see if there is a free .mov to .avi encoder out there.. i think i ran into this problem months ago and did not have good results.
    sledgie
    I don't think there are many MAC 660x users here.

I would recommend droping a post at PDAphoneHome.com as I know there are several there that are MAC users. There are even some threads already on various topics, like using ActiveSync on a MAC.

Another place would be HoFo.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks Sledgie and Hobbes, I really apprecate it. I have tackled something that is
    far beyond my tech skills but im learning...I found QTpro key in my FCP and loaded it. the registration changed to QT pro 6 in prefrences>register but I don't see how to activate the special powers? anybody know how?

Did post on HW, TC, will try Pda as you suggest. This has to be possible.

iZ
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i just checked betaplayers website and it seems they recently released a new unstable version which plays .mov files. this is good news as you will not have to convert using qtpro. betaplayer 0096 unstable plays tons...and mp3 streaming!
  16.    #16  
    Thanks! I will check it out... One more thing this should be easier but its not.
    I am trying to get my email to work and the wifi to work. I finally got the email to recieve by unchecking the proxy server and now I can recieve email via gprs..

but it wont send.

and even thought I have wifi on 4 bars
    it wont connect to the web, but gprs will

any ideas?

TIA
  17.    #17  
    ok. no luck with the email or wifi but here is what I have done so far with the
    video

got qt pro>imported .mov file to FCP >exported to .avi

downloaded beta player.arms.cabs.unstable

put beta player
    .mov file
    .avi file on
    sd card on usb card reader
    transfered card to SX66
    cant see any files but the mem is less

cany find on wmp playlist
    but when i do a search for files bigger than 64kb
    there they are!

when i try to open itist says there is no applicatrion associated, run appliecatoin
    first the n open this file from within the app

but when I do it dont work?

any hints?
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    #1 when you move it to the sd card, where are you putting it? #2 all files will show up under file manager, you just have to be in the proper directory (storage card)
    #3 open movie files from within betaplayer.
  19.    #19  
    thanks for your repy, just to clarify wht I am trying to do is play .mov or quictime files on the SX66 which plays WMP or I hear betaplayer to. ( at least I am trying)

Here is what I did:

2) Quicktime Pro can export to AVI
    3) Pick up a USB SD card reader and an SD card - the size of the SD card will be determined by the size of the videos you intend to play on the device - you can get a card reader for about $30. You can get a 256MB SD card for $50 or less, a 1GB card for about $100 if you look around. You can pick up both at CompUSA, BestBuy, Fry's, etc.
    4) Use QTPro to export the '.mov' file to AVI, drag and drop onto your SD volume, place SD card into SX-66, load WMP, tap playlist, you should see the converted file, tap it and it should play

Thats what I thougt and I tried exactly that

Resuts:

I can see the files with file explorer but I cant
    get them to do anything on the SD card.

Also:
    ok. no luck with the email or wifi but here is what I have done so far with the
    video trying to get quicktime or .mov files to play on SX66:

1)
    got qt pro>imported .mov file to FCP >exported as .avi

2)
    downloaded beta player.arms.cabs.unstable
    cause Iheard it might play .mov files

3)
    put beta player
    .mov file
    .avi file ALL on 1 gig
    sd card on usb card reader

4)
    transfered card to SX66
    cant see any files but the mem is less

5)
    cany find on wmp playlist
    but when i do a search for files bigger than 64kb
    there they are!

6) also can now see them all in file explorer under
    storage card!

Where I am at:

Problem:

7)
    when i try to open or play these files get this error message:

" there is no applicatrion associated, run application first then open this file from within the application"

but when I try that it doesnt work. I have also tried opening the app from WMP playlist (doesn't show up)

Any suggestions as to next step would really be welcome . we are so close!

I put the stuff under a file called avi and movies, I also downloaded beta player
    directly to the sd card from the internet..both ways give me the same error
    i can see the programs and files, but i cant open any of them yet..

TIA

iZ
  20.    #20  
    thanks.

1) betaplayers latest player
    supposed to play .mov files - tried it as a backup
    to WMP

2) wil try the soft reset

3) the files are avis

4) dont have a sync program yet cause if i cnat get it to work i may not keep it. missing sync is what I plan to buy.

The problem is I cant acces the sd card files...why?

I just went to confirm and found out that WMP 9 for Pocket PC does not support .avi format - which would explain why you don't see the file in the WMP playlist. Sorry for the run-around.

I did a bit of searching and found the following:

Pocket DivX Player - try the iPAQ version

There is also PocketTV which plays MPEGs. There is a free Classic version.

Hang in there. Hope this helps.
    says there is no applicatrion associated, run application first then open this file from within the application

What does this mean?

also what is the file path when I hit open?

betaplayer.arm.cabs.UNSTABLE.0.096.zip

This is the file.. right?

I will download it and move it to the sd card.

I will also put it on the sd card in the card reader
    as I can download a zip file to a Mac and put it on the SD card and put that in the sx66

but then it wont open!

same error as before...

I am going to wipe the sd card clean and try just the zip file alone.

how do I do a soft reset?

Ok, tried it with wiping the SD card and putting only the beta player .zip file on the SD card.

go to file explorer>storage>sd card>betaplayer

tap to execute, try to open....

same message:

no applicatrion associated, run application first then open this file from within the application

What does this mean?

What do I do? how do I open the