Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Reported on pdaphonehome.com that EVDO sessions will switch to 1xRTT and allow concurrent data and voice activities on the XV6600. I'm in a non-EVDO area at home and haven't yet confirmed this when I travel to EVDO areas. Anyone in an EVDO area that can confirm that concurrent voice and data session are possible on this handset?

Or does the handset just fall back to 1x and suspend data activities for the duration of the call?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Whenever on voice, it switches to 1xRTT. Concurrent Data and Voice are fine...at 1xRTT, no EVDO data while 1xRTT voice; both are at 1x when concurrent.
    No concurrent voice and data with either 1xRTT or EV-DO. That won't happen until EV-DV in a couple of years.
    Doesn't seem to be available yet. If you try to access data during a phone call, it pops up a message balloon saying you can't access data during a phone call (XV6600, DC area EV-DO).

I suppose you could make it work with VOIP (like Skype) and data access - plenty of bandwidth for both.
    Last edited by Kupe; 01/20/2005 at 09:53 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Guys. I tried it in a 1x area and got the balloon message as well.

Bob
    UPDATE: On outgoing calls, I get the behavior I described above (no voice/data simultaneously), but when online and accepting an incoming call, the EV-DO connection drops to 1xRTT but I can continue to surf online.
  7.    #7  
    Very Interesting.

Thanks,

Bob
    Can't hold still just thinking of the day EVDV is here.....broadband speads while at the same time talking....just warms the heart thinking about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    UPDATE: On outgoing calls, I get the behavior I described above (no voice/data simultaneously), but when online and accepting an incoming call, the EV-DO connection drops to 1xRTT but I can continue to surf online.
    Please clarify because that's impossible on a 1xRTT network. Are you claiming to be able to receive and place calls while surfing at the same time? Any phone can receive calls while in a data session because it just ends the session and sends the call through. It's not supposed to be possible to be on a voice call and be able to actively surf the web.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Can't hold still just thinking of the day EVDV is here.....broadband speads while at the same time talking....just warms the heart thinking about it.

Bet the folks at VZW can't hold still anticipating what they can charge for it. SPCS probably have a warm feeling toward it as well.

Bob Duckworth
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Please clarify because that's impossible on a 1xRTT network. Are you claiming to be able to receive and place calls while surfing at the same time?
    My post refers to an EV-DO network. I may have added some confusion with my terminology. More precisely, the network indicator on the phone switched from "EV" to "1X" as the call came in (I called myself from a land line to test this). I answered the call, and my ability to surf the web continued. You may be correct that this is impossible on a 1xRTT network. I'm only reported the indications on the screen of my XV6600 and what actions I was still able to perform.
    Any phone can receive calls while in a data session because it just ends the session and sends the call through.
    I agree. But in addition to letting the call through while in a data session, I was also able to surf to other web sites and send/receive email. Another Verizon XV6600 owner on pdaphonehome reported using his IM program while talking on the phone.
    It's not supposed to be possible to be on a voice call and be able to actively surf the web.
    I hadn't actually read this anywhere, but I agree this seemed to be common knowledge. Perhaps because most "common" knowledge of this phone came from the GSM and Sprint community, now that it's funcitoning in a true 3G environment (EV-DO) we're learning a few more capabilities.
  12.    #12  
    @ell, boys and girls, I'm in Tampa, an EVDO city. and while calling my corp voice mail, I logged onto Treocentral, so concurrent voice and data works under EVDO.Bob Duckworth
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, all that and I can't type worth a d@mn.

sorry,

Bob
    Great news that this seems to be possible with EVDO. Not sure why the network indicator drops from EVDO to 1xRTT when taking a voice call, but it doesn't really matter as long as it works. I guess the next test is to verify that the data side is still on EVDO by doing a speedtest while also on a voice call. Cool stuff.
  15.    #15  
    I may have spoken too soon. Since the last post, I haven't been able to get concurrent data/voice. The EVDO net seems to be a bit hosed in Tampa right now, speeds is way down in my location (70k]and it may be that this has an impact. More as I find ot.

Bob Duckworth
    Still working here in DC, Bob. Hopefully your EV-DO issues will be resolved there soon. I noticed the Tampa area EV-DO was not nearly as snappy as it is in DC when I was down there on a trip 2 weeks ago. Might be attributable to the newness (i.e. sparseness) of the network there so far. It was like that here in DC 18+ months ago too.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Hobbes, Let's not get too comfy yet. You're with Sprint, not Verizon

As fo surfing and talking I have yet to see a definitive answer whether it is possible. But I'm Keeping my fingers crossed :shortcut:
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Hobbes, Let's not get too comfy yet. You're with Sprint, not Verizon
    Dreaming is always fun....don't take that away from me!
    In this case, Claire says "hello" to you, Hobbes
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    In this case, Claire says "hello" to you, Hobbes
    ...Claire!!!!!!!

Im not sure what is worse....she knows who I am or that you have a personal relationship with her!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast