My true treo killer would have to:

1. Have both Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 1.2
    2. Have at least 3.5 inch hi res TFT screen (480x480) 65k colors
    3. Have a better spaced QWERTY and built-in graffiti keyboard
    4. Have more ROM, RAM, much much more
    5. Have a 624 GHZ processor
    6. Have quad-band GSM phone
    7. Come with a cradle and a case, included
    8. Palm OS Cobalt or PPC OS, makes no difference. I'm not loyal to either.
    9. Folding clamshell form factor would even be cooler
    10. Acept both 2.5 and 3.5 mm headset and stereo plugs
    11. Built-in GPS flip antenna

Did I leave anything out? Sorry, It's been a long day.
    And you are willing to pay how much for this? $1000 - that's roughly what it would cost to produce and sell at a reasonable profit margin.

my 2c
    What about sunroof or nappa leather?
    optional bed lining?

-b
    624 Giga Hz? That's only 300 times faster than my desktop. The battery ought to last, oh, about 30 seconds. Which is ok, cause if it ran any longer it'd burn a hole in your pocket.

Seriously, your wish list is nice, but I wouldn't want a bigger screen. I've had Palms and Clie's with bigger screens, and their form factor is just too wide to be comfortable as a phone.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    It's been a while since I heard of new "Treo Killers."

My true treo killer would have to:

1. Have both Wi-Fi 802.11b/g and Bluetooth 1.2
    2. Have at least 3.5 inch hi res TFT screen (480x480) 65k colors
    3. Have a better spaced QWERTY and built-in graffiti keyboard
    4. Have more ROM, RAM, much much more
    5. Have a 624 GHZ processor
    6. Have quad-band GSM phone
    7. Come with a cradle and a case, included
    8. Palm OS Cobalt or PPC OS, makes no difference. I'm not loyal to either.
    9. Folding clamshell form factor would even be cooler
    10. Acept both 2.5 and 3.5 mm headset and stereo plugs
    11. Built-in GPS flip antenna

Did I leave anything out? Sorry, It's been a long day.
    I would agree with numbers 1,4,6,8 and maybe 9 depending on how it was implemented. But I am easy to please. Oh and full Exchange Activesync... not just Calendar and EMail (Tasks, Notes, Contacts, etc.).
    Settings for both kill and stun?
    and it all started with a SHARP Wizard
    A cold weather package would be nice: screen defroster, windshield wiper and heated stylus.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    624 Giga Hz? That's only 300 times faster than my desktop. The battery ought to last, oh, about 30 seconds.
    Are you assuming an extended life battery?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Sport package? Premium package? Performance package?

No need for cold weather package here in TX
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Are you assuming an extended life battery?
    Of course! And with the radio turned off
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Plus, with the larger screen, spacious keyboard, folding GPS antenna and a heatsink for that processor, this baby would be tiny!
    Tonyh, Ill be prepared to pay $1000 for your Treo killer, especially if you have a choice of OS, Palm or Microsoft CE. Here is hoping, maybe in Treo 800
    Ah....but dreaming is always fun.

Here would be my perfect phone :
    • Treo form factor (without the antenna).
    • But the keyboard would slide down for a PPC-660x size screen when needed and the OS would recognize what screen mode (or actually the screen would slide up to keep the weight at the bottom for easy balance for typing). That way those who like the small form factor have it and never have to slide it to a larger size for more screen real estate, while those who need the extra screen have it.
    • Portrait & Landscape
    • OS: Just like a desktop....A dual boot to either Palm Colbalt & PPC 2005 as I have programs I love on both OS's
    • True VGA screen resolution
    • At least a 1.3 mp camera (saw the first 5 mp cell phone camera the other day in a magazine).
    • Complete office software solution
    • Full Blackberry support and compatible (which is what the latest version of the 660x is going to have when released soon in EU).
    • Voice Command included.
    • Non crippled Bluetooth
    • Built in Wifi
    • CDMA (aka available through Sprint)
    • EVDO
    • No atenna
    • GPS. Just like the folding the GPS antenna, but removable with a port in back of phone where a removable GPS antenna can be snapped on and off as needed.
    • At least, bare minimum, 128 mb of memory, with how cheap memory is now there would also be a 1 gb internal mem option. I figure a dual boot OS option would take around 100 meg of internal memory so high mem is a must.
    • Graphic chip accelator that will be released for PDAs this next year.
    • At least a 600mhz processor.
    • two sd slots for memory and accessory.
    • No thicker than the 650
    • And of course, since we are dreaming....no bugs with the first release.
    I would be happy then....

FOLLOW UP NOTES: As for graphics accelator...nVidia has announced their new GoForce 4500 3D that will be released soon. This will provide arcade quality graphics and performance to PPCs. You can see it at http://www.nvidia.com/page/goforce_3d_4500.html . You can also see some screenshots at http://www.nvidia.com/page/pg_20040916183808.html . Here is one of favorites: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/10085...ndheld_Demo.jpg

I think that my dream phone is VERY reasonable today...or at least as soon as the GoForce is released. Whoever wakes up and smells the market demand by making it, could become the new leader in the industry.....as long they do not shoot themselves in the foot with never ending bugs.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/20/2005 at 06:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    the goforce 4500... that's too good to be true... what's the ETA on that?
  16.    #16  
    Hobbes, you're still my favorite non TreoLander. See my other post about the PPC6601 aka SX66 aka VZ66

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    624 Giga Hz?
    Oh my lord!!! LOL. I meant 6.24 MHZ. That 6.24 HGZ would indeed be a rocket
    Hobbes, you're still my favorite non TreoLander.
    I love you too, man.

Oh my lord!!! LOL. I meant 6.24 MHZ. That 6.24 HGZ would indeed be a rocket
    Actually if we are dreaming how about a quantum processor. A lightspeed processor just might be able to handle my needs.

You know seriously though.....if you had an 660x or a 650 back in like 1970......there is no doubt your life would be in grave danger as I don't think there would be a gov that wouldn't kill to get such advanced technology then as we take for granite now.

It is pretty amazing to think that our cell phones today are more powerful than any home computer up to probably around 1990-93 or so. I remember my first computer in 1991. It was a Tandy 1000 (cant remember if it was a 286 or 386). I was the envy of everyone because I had a whopping 1 mb of memory and a huge 10 mb harddrive. The new GoForce chip is probably 4 times more powerful than that simple vga graphics card.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/20/2005 at 07:26 PM.
  18.    #18  
    My first computer was a Commodore 64 in 1983. Oops, my age is showing.

At the time, I said to myself "What the hell do I need 64K for? It's too much." I then moved on to IBM Jr, a short-lived stripped down version of the IBM-PC, with proprietary wiring for the RGB monitor, two ROM slots for programs, and a single 5 1/4 floppy disk.

It amazes me now that I view my HP ze5200 P4/2.4 GHZ laptop with broadand Internet and 802.11g as a little too slow for my taste.
    My first computer was a Commodore 64 in 1983. Oops, my age is showing.

At the time, I said to myself "What the hell do I need 64K for? It's too much." I then moved on to IBM Jr, a short-lived stripped down version of the IBM-PC, with proprietary wiring for the RGB monitor, two ROM slots for programs, and a single 5 1/4 floppy disk.

It amazes me now that I view my HP ze5200 P4/2.4 GHZ laptop with broadand Internet and 802.11g as a little too slow for my taste.
    Ahh...George Plimpton.

Had one as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Oh ya...I totally forgot about that....I guess I lied...my first two computers was a Texax Instruments and then a Commodore 64. I used to love some of those games, all text mind you. I remember hooking up my tape recorder as my floppy drive.....memories!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast