Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, it is PPC, so for all you "I will never buy a PPC" types out there, disregard. For those of you interested in the latest and the greatest, which does NOT include the Treo 650, here it is:

Here it is! Tiny like the JAM, with everything you want!

more...

still more...

yes, more...

lastly...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

"I didn't think it was possible, but this actually sucks and blows."
    - Bart Simpson
    This is the phone I'm waiting for. Can't beat it. As soon as it comes out on Verizon with EVDO, I'm switching.

Hey Treo fanatics. Let's hear your take on this one. I don't see a thing wrong with it. Do you?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    This is the phone I'm waiting for. Can't beat it. As soon as it comes out on Verizon with EVDO, I'm switching.

Hey Treo fanatics. Let's hear your take on this one. I don't see a thing wrong with it. Do you?
    Give em a few minutes to collect their thoughts and start shouting at me, it always happens. I also predict about a 20-30 time lapse before this thread is either deleted or moved...
    No, my avatar is NOT a picture of me! If you don't recognize her then you are not nerdy enough to be in here.

- Bart Simpson
    I don't see anything wrong with any of the non-delivered phones...it's only when people get them in their hand that you can tell the truth. I'll live with my Treo until something proven better comes along and leave the "Treo Killer!" comments to others. I base this on the fact that every "Treo Killer" to date has failed at that task, the Treo is alive and well.
    Nothing wrong with it. Won't be running WM2005 though. Screen resolution should have been 480x320 instead of 320x240. It's just a tad larger than the Treo, which is just a tad too much. Other than that...nice form factor, nice feature set, nice OS, nice phone all around. Nonetheless, I'll stick with the 650.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I don't see anything wrong with any of the non-delivered phones...it's only when people get them in their hand that you can tell the truth. I'll live with my Treo until something proven better comes along and leave the "Treo Killer!" comments to others. I base this on the fact that every "Treo Killer" to date has failed at that task, the Treo is alive and well.
    The Treo may be alive, but "well?" I don't think so. It's ill, definitley coming down with something. Sadly, Palm doesn't have a cure...

- Bart Simpson
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    The Treo may be alive, but "well?" I don't think so. It's ill, definitely coming down with something. Sadly, Palm doesn't have a cure...

- Bart Simpson
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by awesterink
    Nothing wrong with it. Won't be running WM2005 though. Screen resolution should have been 480x320 instead of 320x240. It's just a tad larger than the Treo, which is just a tad too much. Other than that...nice form factor, nice feature set, nice OS, nice phone all around. Nonetheless, I'll stick with the 650.
    Yeah, no sense in moving to something with that pesky WiFi junk, or large amounts of memory...

- Bart Simpson
    Good to see you came back to peddle your newest favorite PPC.

Here's some questions various people will have which this device will not answer:
    Where's GSM? I'm on T-mobile, Cingular, AT&T, etc. I travel to Europe a lot.
    Where's the support for all the PalmOS applications I own?
    Where's the non-sliding keyboard? I don't want to have to slide it open to call one of my 5,000 contacts.
    Why is it still bigger than a Treo?
    Why does it have such terrible pixels per inch compared to my Treo 650?
    Does the 5-way navigation still control nearly everything like it does for a Treo?
    Where can I buy it today? I've had my Treo now for a couple months. Why can't I buy this? When this comes out, will there be another Treo to compare it against?

That said it does look impressive. For the most part it has a different way of doing things which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's not a killer. A Macintosh can do all the things a Windows computer can do (especially if you count emulation), yet is Windows dead?

We also must remember that the Benq P50 was a Treo killer, but appears to come in at $800 and lack some of the usability (according to TreoCentral which may be biased).
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Yeah, no sense in moving to something with that pesky WiFi junk, or large amounts of memory...
    When the program takes 10 times the memory, having 10 times more memory is the exact same, not more...

Don't get me wrong, I've been waiting for a well designed CDMA pocketpc phone for along time. But I'd prefer a flip, and also, samsung has a history of FAILING at almost everything. Phone after phone promised and never released.
    The main positive for me and probably a lot of people is the ability to do almost everything with one hand on the palm. PPC is not even close in this regard. Forget about going back to a stylus.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    lol @ everything being the treo killer. y'all trying to set yourselfs up for disappointment. why cant it be just another phone to come out...? y'all label it treo killer...and when it doesn't perform like y'all want, it turns out to be a HUGE disappointment. whatever. i'll peep it. but my 650 is still good.
    Too bad that thing is uglier than the ngage. It also looks REALLY fragile. Lets see when it gets released and if it even works before we start calling it a treo killer.
    It's a cool looking phone, but everyone who's used it has complained about how large and especially how heavy it is. I guess it's just a brick compared to the 650.

Still, it's got no real competition since the HTC 660x phones are basically junk. It's a good move by Samsung. Palm fans have the 650 and PPC fans will have the i730. Cool.
    Well, Ocean, I think you have said the same thing about every "smart" non-treo phone you have run across on the net. Fact is you seem to go to be each night dreaming about the absolute failure of the Treo. Probably wake up in a cold sweat when you dream of soft resets.

Nevertheless, this COULD be a good phone for some people but...

A number of definite issues:

*Lower res screen

*Bigger than 650 -- especially when open

*Slider devices have a spotty track record on how well the slider holds up

*No keyboard access when slider closed. limits one handed use

*Looks like hard to hold when open especially for one-handed use. Very likely topheavy

*Windows -- Although Windows does some things well or even better than Palm, its still not as easy to use for the vast majortity of what you need to do with a smartphone. Things that are one-step/one-handed on a Treo are multiple step with stylus on Windows devices.

*Thought you HATED external antennas Ocean, LOL

In addition a number of Serious Concerns:

*First report was in November, no announcement of availability or carrier or price yet

*Nobody has actually seen the thing working. If it was around in November, why not charged up version in January? (I find it interesting when they say its an "excellent" phone when they haven't even turned it on!)

*No photos allowed of it with keyboard open at the Jan show. Why? Especially since the November article had photos of it opened up. Is there a problem with the keyboard? Copyright infringment? Redesign?

*Again NO PRICE. The benQ has quoted at $800 that would kill the killer right there.
    Is this yet another in a long line of "Treo Killers" that have yet to kill the Treo? I guess if you predict it enough though, you will eventually eventually be right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jayzee
    The main positive for me and probably a lot of people is the ability to do almost everything with one hand on the palm. PPC is not even close in this regard. Forget about going back to a stylus.
    That is a very common Palm user misconception...or maybe also a previous version of PPC OS user misconception.

Here is a good thread talking about this very claim:

One hand operation
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean18
    Give em a few minutes to collect their thoughts and start shouting at me, it always happens. I also predict about a 20-30 time lapse before this thread is either deleted or moved...
    It will be moved because this isn't a treo 650. Seems obvious to me (and you apparently).
    I didn't notice anything in this thread other than ocean18's avatar. Sorry...
    OK, you win -- consider the Treo dead. Now will you go on, live a happy life and drop this quest for murdering the Treo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast