Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Hi guys...

Been lurking a loooong time 'round here. Been a palm user for like ever and have just ordered the Verizon ppc6600, due to arrive tomorrow. I started with the 7135 (painful,) moved to the 600 when Verizon got it and had assumed I'd jump on the 650 when it hit... My 600 has developed sound issues (receiver's end) which is unacceptable, so I wanted to switch now (any excuse for a new gadget, eh?) With all the issues around the 650, I want to stay far away from it. The 650's release reminds me of when the 7135 came out initially... all the problems, not worth it.

Never held the 6600, I'm sure the size will shock me (I'm a girl, small hands..eek.) but I'm willing to give it a try. I figure once the BT is worked out, I won't have to hold a nerdy brick to my head all the time. I've been following this thread and it has been a great help. I'm going to go back, re-read all these threads, see what Ill need to buy for the phone, software etc, then get ready to receive my new brick.. I mean phone. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions for those who have already made the jump...

Thanks!
    I am excited for you... ...let us know what you think. We are all here to give you a hand, so let us know if we can help in anyway. As for accessories and software look at these three threads:

I hope this helps.
    I hope you enjoy it, but if you expect the 6600 to be trouble free I think you're going to be sorely disapointed. As for 650 troubles, I've only had mine for a few days, but so far it's worked flawlessly. A few apps I've tried don't work, but removing them solved those problems.

Good luck,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Strange that someone would order a phone without first having held it or used it. It'll be interesting to check back in 30 or 45 days and see what you think. And if the reality of the device meets your expectations....
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I don't expect it to be trouble-free. I'm going to evaluate it to see if it works for me. I'm excited, actually. This reminds me of when I jumped from Mac to PC... all my Mac buddies warned me about going over to the dark side. I did, I loved it there. Wouldn't have known unless I gave it a shot.

I signed up with a promo plan to get a great price (3 hundred something...) but will have to be given a new cell phone # in order to get that price. No problem with that. I'll also keep the treo account open until I evaluate this one... just in case...

Hobbes, you've played a big part in my decision... I'll keep you all posted as I go. I think I'm most worried about active sync and getting that right. I've heard it can be tricky. We shall see....
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I hope you enjoy it, but if you expect the 6600 to be trouble free I think you're going to be sorely disapointed.
    This true with any phone....including the 650. The key is to do a little research before buying so you know the challenges that you can potentially face when you get the phone. It appears that she has done it. But as for the issues issues the the 660x, there really are not that many:
    • The disconnecting beep. This has been greatly reduced. Many of us are starting to think this is a network issue (or at least large part of the blame) rather than a phone issue, as the beep dropped drastically the same weekend that the 650 started allowing outgoing calls while roaming for many of the users with this problem.
    • The bluetooth issues with headsets is being addressed and will be updated with an update....hopefully very shortly. Other than that the BT works really good with everything else. I currently use it with my iTrek GPS, BT keyboard, BT travel mouse, BT syncing with my laptop, etc...
    • As for the claims of keyboard problems...this is mostly repeated by users who do not have a device. This issues are far and between with most users confirming it is built well and solid. I love the urban legend that all the keyboards are falling off all the phones!
    It appears that she did it smart by listing the benefits and issues with both the 660x and the 650 and choosin the one that should suit her needs the best. Whoever approaches their purchase in this manner has a lot greater odds of being very happy with whatever phone they choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap
    Hobbes, you've played a big part in my decision... I'll keep you all posted as I go. I think I'm most worried about active sync and getting that right. I've heard it can be tricky. We shall see....
    Thanks.

If you are using a PC, it is dead easy. I have not heard of any real issues while using a PC.

If you are going to use your MAC, then yes, there have been challenges. I do not have a MAC, so I am not of much help....but I do know there are those who fixed their problems, and those who did not...but I suspect that a major factor in that may be lack of user issues.

There are several threads on this on other forums that should be able to help you if need be in this area.
    I hope you enjoy it, but if you expect the 6600 to be trouble free I think you're going to be sorely disapointed. Good luck,
    Funny, this comment spoken from someone who obviously does NOT have a 6600.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal

If you are going to use your MAC, then yes, there have been challenges.
    Haven't had a Mac in 5 years.

I have done my homework. Enough to know that the 650 isn't going to make me happy (will miss that form factor)... especially since the sound issue so many are having is exactly what's happening with my 600 (the patch seems to work for some, not others, and there isn't one for the 600.) So I'll give this a shot. My first concern will be the platform... can I work with this OS? After that, the phone... I feel with PPC I will have more options, phone-wise, in the future than I ever will with Palm. I like options.
    The platform will take getting used to coming from a T600, but the brain trust here will likely be able to beat any problem you have with this device. Also go to pdaphonehome.com to the PPC fourm. Many of us are there as well.

Enjoy your new "computer" that fits in your pocket.

Bob Duckworth
    I hope you enjoy it, but if you expect the 6600 to be trouble free I think you're going to be sorely disapointed. As for 650 troubles, I've only had mine for a few days, but so far it's worked flawlessly. A few apps I've tried don't work, but removing them solved those problems.

Good luck,

which app doesn't work on treo 650? lol
    don't tell me it's relatively basic and essential apps.
    I also switched over to a XV6600 from a treo600 and I couldn't be happier.

Most the bluetooth issues are with headsets, since I do not use them this wasnt an issue. My laptop uses the XV6600 as a modem (edvo!) thru bluetooth with no extra software and I've had no problems.

Form factor of the treo still is much nicer..but the trade off is a much bigger screen.
    I think the bottom line is that there's no one single device that will work for every single person out there. We all have our individual likes and dislikes, and our own needs and preferences, and what works for me might not work for someone else, and vice versa. I'll admit that it is a bit hard to agree with the opinions and wishes of others all the time, but the reality is that these are just pieces of electronics, plastics, chips, silicon, etc - they are not life changing tools (even as much as I tend to think so, they're not, in the big scheme of things). So - to each his/her own, and let's keep marching progress ahead. These are fast-changing times in the smartphone world. It'll be an interesting ride over the next 18 to 24 months....
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Fed Ex arrived! Phone is charging. My God, it`s intimidating. Okay, I will take a deep breath, figure out my first moves after charge. I guess activating it would be a good idea, eh?

It is big. Bluetooth a must. I have to find out what headset to go with. I:m leery of buying accesories before I know if I want to keep it or not.

The salesman charged me $100 more than he quoted. I thought the promo amount, in the 3 hundreds (his quote) was low. Now even with the promotion price once I cancel my treo #, I`ll have to pay $175 termination fee. So it:s like I paid full price for the phone. Ugh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap
    The salesman charged me $100 more than he quoted. I thought the promo amount, in the 3 hundreds (his quote) was low. Now even with the promotion price once I cancel my treo #, I`ll have to pay $175 termination fee. So it:s like I paid full price for the phone. Ugh....
    Surprise!!! Welcome to the wonderful of VZW. Mine charged me more than I had agreed to pay as well. I sent an email to VZW CS telling them to straighten the cost issues out. I bought two phones from them and a huge voice/data plan. They can bite the overcharge as far as I'm concerned.

To boot, the idiots at SPCS credited my returned PPC6601 to my account rather than the credit card as I instructed. At least they claim that will be corrected in a week. What good was a $650+ credit on a non-existent account? That's not rocket science.

Perhaps the worst aspect of dealing with these providers is their accounting methods, capabilities, and practices.

Enjoy your handset. You can play with it while its charging. Won't hurt a thing. Just make sure the backup battery gets a full charge before you pull the plug.

Bob Duckworth
    I got the feeling those phone companies are doing these charging 'mistakes' on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    I got the feeling those phone companies are doing these charging 'mistakes' on purpose.
    I would not put that past them. How many people probably just roll over and take it rather than dispute wrong/misquoted charges?

Not me bucko!! I'm always up for a good fight when it comes to my wallet.

Bob Duckworth
    Swap,
    I suggest you download some free programs to customize your today page. TThat way you won't have to spend any money on software while you're evaluating the phone. I suggest Clauch, a program thar places icons on the today screen. You can adjust the size of the icons. Task plus is good for lising each task on the today screen. Calendar plus is good for lising your appointments in different formats. And probably the most useful program is ms voicecommand 1.5. All these programs are free, except voice command which has a trial period with full functionality. You can dowload these from pocketpcfreewares.com and handango.com. Hope this helps
    So a I to understand that the PPC's also have issues with Bluetooth headsets?
    If so, I wonder what the problem is that both platforms would suffer from it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast