Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    So far... I'm loving this thing! Haven't taken it outside yet, but installed VC and love playing around with it. Now I have to set up some programs to customize it a bit... volume seems low on the speaker on my end, but no complaints when I call people on their end..a la the Treo.

Very powerful little device. I'm impressed. Fun. Being a gamer, can't wait to start loading 'em up. Any game suggestions for PPC games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap
    So far... I'm loving this thing! Haven't taken it outside yet, but installed VC and love playing around with it. Now I have to set up some programs to customize it a bit... volume seems low on the speaker on my end, but no complaints when I call people on their end..a la the Treo.

Very powerful little device. I'm impressed. Fun. Being a gamer, can't wait to start loading 'em up. Any game suggestions for PPC games?
    Go to www.pocketpcfreewares.com and download pocketnester. This is a free SNES emulator program. Then go to www.romnation.net and download practically any rom of any SNES game (for legality reasons you should already own the programs you download.) It's up to you if you want to stick to that rule. You open the roms within the emulator program (in this case pocketnester.) the games work well, very smooth.

Forgot to mention magicbutton. Another free utility that puts a close button on the taskbar, closing all your programs instead of just minimizing programs. It also puts s batterylevel meter on the taskbar, and shows all currently open programs on the taskbar. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    So a I to understand that the PPC's also have issues with Bluetooth headsets?
    If so, I wonder what the problem is that both platforms would suffer from it.
    Yup the 660x series of phones has headset BT issues. But we know it is a stack issue and are waiting for an update.

As for the 650...is this mostly a stack issue as well, or does it have to do with the BT being crippled? A friend asked me this same question the other day I could not answer it 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swap
    I am glad you liking it. I personally really like War Incorporated. I am normally not a big fan of this style of game on the PC or the PPC, but this one is really fun and adictive.

Tennis Maniac? something like that....is also a really cool game with awesome graphics.

Of course the classics are a lot of fun on a bigger screen...Collapse being one of my favorite classics.
    If you want the best sounding headset for this device (incomming and outgoing sound) buy the SonyEricson HBH-300. Its not the smallest headset, but one of the most comfortable, longest lasting (10hrs talk time), and best sounding (noise cancling technology) headsets for this phone (or any phone for that matter).

I use this headset. Customers, friends, etc, can't believe I am on a headset. It sounds that clear.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I see the 660 is mentioned quite a bit on the forums. Is there a big difference between that and the 300? Can't seem to find a comparison listing anywhere...

Bluespoon AX sound cool, too.

Edit to say: So cool I ordered it.
    Last edited by Swap; 01/17/2005 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    If you want the best sounding headset for this device (incomming and outgoing sound) buy the SonyEricson HBH-300. Its not the smallest headset, but one of the most comfortable, longest lasting (10hrs talk time), and best sounding (noise cancling technology) headsets for this phone (or any phone for that matter).

I use this headset. Customers, friends, etc, can't believe I am on a headset. It sounds that clear.
    farzonalmaneih, that's great to hear. I'm seriously considering getting the HBH-300 and pairing it with the 650. But i'm wondering whether it gives full handsfree (as opposed to headset) capability.

Could you test the following out and post the result:
    1. When an incoming call comes in, headset rings automatically.
    2. After answering an incoming call on the Treo, audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset.
    3. After dialing an outgoing call on the Treo, audio is automatically transferred to the paired headset.
    4. While on an active call on the Treo, pressing the headset button will transfer the call to the paired headset.
    5. Reject calls by pressing a button on the headset.
    6. Redial calls by pressing a button on the headset.
    7. Swap calls by pressing a button on the headset.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Update... Ordered the AX, but it was backorderd, due to arrive next week now, I hope. Got impatient and also ordered the HPH 600 from Dan's... that hasn't arrived either. And on another note, ordered the Piel Frama case... now I'm being told that's delayed two weeks. Geeesh..
    Swap,
    Actually, I love the Treo 600 but I've been hit by the SMS bug too many times. The last time was this week while I am on a business trip over 1000 miles from my backup 7135. VZW was good about sending a replacement to the hotel on Saturday but it is a ticking time bomb which can last 1 month or 2 weeks based on history with this phone.

(nrosser, I'm still waiting for my $5.)

SMS shouldn't be able to corrupt firmware and I can't afford to wait for VZW & P1 to come out with their promised firmware fix since acceptable alternatives are available.

VZW is charging me $200 for the VZ6600 as a "phone upgrade" and I don't even need to use my "Every Two" discount yet. This is my first trip to the "dark side" since getting my first Palm in 1997. I don't expect perfection with the VZ6600 but not being able to receive text messages is not acceptable since I am on call 24X7. I'll use the heck out of it for 15 days and see it if will work for me longer term.

Need to download replacements for these software packages right away:

1. JFile - ??? (I can convert all of my DBs to spreadsheets but I don't want to do that.)
    2. MyBible - available
    3. Monopoly - available
    4. Handyshopper - alpha version available
    5. Diet Diary - available
    6. pTunes Deluxe (want streaming) - built-in?
    7. Pocket TV Browser - available since it was first designed for the PPC.
    8. CryptoPad - ???
    9. Audible - available for PPC but not sure it will work on VZ6600.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    beryl,
    audible should be built in already on the vz6600, if not audible provides it and it works.
    for streaming ala ptdeluxe, download FREE GSPlayer. gsplayer also does .ogg (similar to mp3 but more compress without loss of sound)
    hth,
    sledgie
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    1. JFile - ??? (I can convert all of my DBs to spreadsheets but I don't want to do that.)
    I do't know whwat format Jfile is using for it's database. But there are at least 3 free format database for PPC. (just googole it. sorry to lazy to search right now, since I don't use database myself)

6. pTunes Deluxe (want streaming) - built-in?
    almost all PPC music player support streaming. There is one new player that can stream itune too now. All newer HP has built in 'one click' streaming app.

8. CryptoPad - ???
    Lucifer is general DES crypto pad
    http://pauillac.inria.fr/~pessaux/creations_fr.html

GnuPGP implementation
    http://www.symbolictools.de/public/p...nupg/index.htm

tombo is an open source note taker/management with buitl in crypto
    http://tombo.sourceforge.jp/En/index.html

commercial PGP
    http://www.anidirect.com/products/en...pgpmobile.html

more stuff
    http://www.mobigeeks.net/e/forum/sho...p?threadid=800

9. Audible - available for PPC but not sure it will work on VZ6600.
    might want to post on bigger forum to ask.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl

VZW is charging me $200 for the VZ6600 as a "phone upgrade" and I don't even need to use my "Every Two" discount yet.

How'd you manage that price!!?? Oh Lordy... that's incredible. Go girl, go... run, don't walk...

@ Swap
    After 5 Treo 600 replacements, I think VZW just wanted to stop the hemorrhaging. The VZW rep is charging the difference in the cost of the Treo 600 and the VZ6600 and a $50 rebate coupon. She said that the offer would stand and if/when the price of the VZ6600 goes down, the cost to me to upgrade would also go down. But then, if the cost of the Treo 600 also goes down, that would hurt me.

I'll call in a couple of days since I hear that the camera version is being released soon. After reading these threads, I think this is a good deal. If it doesn't work out, I'll just return to the Treo 600 and continue getting replacements for the SMS bug.
  14. frh
    I just ordered my XV 6600 today (should have it tomorrow). The Verizon Rep told me they have two Motorola Bluetooth Headsets for the phone. He said the $50 one is problematic and the $70 one answers / hangs up the phone, etc. with no problems.

Should I buy it? With all of the bluetooth problems I've been reading about does this match anyone's experience? Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by frh
    I just ordered my XV 6600 today (should have it tomorrow). The Verizon Rep told me they have two Motorola Bluetooth Headsets for the phone. He said the $50 one is problematic and the $70 one answers / hangs up the phone, etc. with no problems.

Should I buy it? With all of the bluetooth problems I've been reading about does this match anyone's experience? Rick
    I think bluetooth shortcomings are common to all phones and headsets. It is the BT 1.1 standard problem that it cannot block interference very well.

I used the Motorola HS810 and it was acceptable on both the Treo 650 and the PPC6601. As for the Scala 500 the volume of the speaker is amplified, and it was feeding back into its own mic that it bothered my callers to hear themselves echo. I hear great things about HBH660 and 330 by Sony from various users of both phones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12