Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Samsung doesn't use HTC to build its phones. Not sure about Moto. There's a lot of good stuff coming the second half of this year. It still looks pretty wide-open to me. Treo, PDA2k and Jam are three very different devices. Which one is vanilla?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    The i730 is interesting, granted.

The Treo, PDA2k, and JAM are all pretty vanilla. How many iterations of PDA2k are there? 50? The Treo is grandma's phone.

Actually, my comments aren't fair because I'm more concerned about what kind of radio it has. The PDA2k has an EVDO version, but the ones I've seen are too big and seem too frail. Treo doesn't have a high speed radio - so it starts to look like a telegraph set to me.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Getting back on topic, here's an interesting writeup on the emergence of the PPC platform. Palm never saw it coming.
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1487&tag=nl.e539
  4.    #44  
    Here is an interesting article that gives one more indication that PalmSource is certainly getting a run for their money:

BlackBerry Killer?
    http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=160401595

If WM05 is able to take a huge chunck of the corp BB market, that is huge boost for the WM market share, while reducing a major competitor, and further out weighing the market share against PalmSource.

It says in that article:

Sources said more than 25 independent device manufacturers and ISVs are heavily backing the Magneto release of Windows Mobile, a major architectural revamp of Microsoft's mobile platform that will unify what are now separate implementations of Windows CE for the Pocket PC and smartphone.

That, combined with the push technology in Exchange 2003 Server SP2, will be a major advance. Microsoft recently licensed its ActiveSync technology to competitors to make Exchange the push server engine of choice. ActiveSync 4.0 is due with .Net Compact Framework 2.0 in Visual Studio 2005.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I think the most telling point Iceman's article brings up is that Palmone's most successful product, the Treo, is not even a Palmone product. It is a Handspring product - and we have yet to see that the innovative spirit of Handspring has survived its acquisition.
  6.    #46  
    I agree....but there are two company trends we are looking at:

PalmOne: The hardware. The actual hardware design, features, sales, etc. of the Treo....not matter what OS it uses, which is what you referred to.

PalmSource: The Palm OS, which I feel is currently showing to be in a very bad place.

PalmOne could put WM2005 on the Treo and it may prove to totally out sell the Palm OS Treo. That would not be a good thing for PalmSource. MS is signing major deals with a HUGE amount of manufactuers to develope and sell WM2005 devices, which will hurt both PalmOne and PalmSource.

The danger for PalmSource is that they have continually delayed updated versions for so long while MS has continually offered updated versions. MS is going to attack the BB market to increase its OS share and strength in the market place. Even PalmOne maybe offering MS OS instead of or as an option to PalmSource OS.

The danger for PalmOne is not any ONE treokiller (I have never subscribed to that theory)....but a whole variety of PPC WM05 devices to choose from over 25 independent device manufacturers and ISVs. Each manufacturer may have several models. If each manufacturer averaged two models each that is 50 newly developed and deployed WM05 devices to compete against the one Treo. Right now the Treo stands tall in the Palm world. Soon it may be just one of many in the PPC world.

I do believe both can come out strong through this period, but both companies have to take an honest look at their shortcomings in both the OS and the Treo. If they can address true Multitasking, offer the conectivity options the PPC phones do, increase the memory to double the standard (as many PPC phones do), etc.... They will both remain major contenders. It would just be sad to have them depend on the past success to push them on when so many other options out there are looking in the future to drive them.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    No arguments here. I do tend to think of the Treo palm-centrically - but it is obviously not bound to the palmOS.

Speaking personally, I've never taken much interest in the palm OS upgrades. Frankly, I've never really noticed them except to the extent that they took advantage of new hardware features, such as phone and camera. And I bought my first pilot 2 weeks before the device originally came out.

My major gripe is that the hardware is lagging, since they have not been able to add an EVDO radio in timely fashion.
  8.    #48  
    I would think that with the now "unofficially confirmed" WM05 Treo, and considering some of the points in this thread, that this would add some pressure on Palm Source.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The rumor I heard is, the next Treo will be available with your choice of PPC or Palm OS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123