Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I just got back from a short vacation, and was able to get into the CES.

his Samsung has everything we have always wanted out of the Treo.

WIFI
    BT
    64 MB
    H Res Screen
    key board
    and high speed EVDO connections

Does anyone know if P1 has a response to this potential Treo Killer?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I Should add I am a loyal Treo 600 / 650 man.

But I can be bought...
    Are you talking about this?
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=646

The only i730 model that I can find is an iDen phone by Motorola.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Every day we hear about things that are supposed to be "Treo Killers", but where are they? Who has a Samsung I730 on the street right now? Where can you get one?

The fact is that every new piece of equipment like this has it's bugs, but no vaporware or announcement-ware is going to get me to get rid of my Treo until something actually proves it's better.
    http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3497.html

Most importantly: it has Blackberry RIM support
    Nice size... but where is the supposed qwerty keyboard? Is it supposed to slide out?
    It wont kill the treo- it has WINBLOWS MOBILE on it.

rj
    I have my doubts. Samsung products are usually sub-par.
    I don't think Samsung products are subpar. My last phone was samsung and while it came out over 18 months ago, it already had speaker independent voice dial. I still don't quite understand why my treo doesn't even have speaker dependent voice dial.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_monkey
    I have my doubts. Samsung products are usually sub-par.

Uuuh right. Is that why they have the highest customer satisfaction out of all electronic manufacturers? Is that why they posted 2nd highest profit in electronics in 2004, next to Intel? Is that why the founder of Sony recently publicly announced that Sony must reform more like Samsung?

Treo's a great product, but come on--don't knock Samsung. They make FANTASTIC products, and if anybody will surpass Treo's popularity, it is Samsung. They use both PalmOS and Microsoft OS, so they are very flexible in that way. However with the popularity of Microsoft OS these days, obviously they don't have much choice but to go that route.

Samsung has pretty nice Palm phones like this one... the i530

All they need to do is add a keyboard to it... not that tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by O1Coupe
    Uuuh right. Is that why they have the highest customer satisfaction out of all electronic manufacturers? Is that why they posted 2nd highest profit in electronics in 2004, next to Intel? Is that why the founder of Sony recently publicly announced that Sony must reform more like Samsung?

Treo's a great product, but come on--don't knock Samsung. They make FANTASTIC products, and if anybody will surpass Treo's popularity, it is Samsung. They use both PalmOS and Microsoft OS, so they are very flexible in that way. However with the popularity of Microsoft OS these days, obviously they don't have much choice but to go that route.

All they need to do is add a keyboard to it... not that tough.
    Sorry, I didn't know you worked for Samsung. I've had some experience with their plasma TV's and they were pretty lousy, with buzzing internal fans and a washed out picture. I'll take your word that they make good phones. I guess any company that makes every electronic product under the sun will have some duds and also some gems.
    My personal take...this looks like it'd be great as a phone, but not so great for email and PDA usage. If it does in fact run the Palm OS, that's a very good thing. I would never buy a Windows-based smartphone--PPC is way too kludgy except on a really large screen.
    I loved my treo600 and now my 650, but, Some things about my ancient I300 are still not as good on the 650 as they were on the I300. In fact, some things about the QCP-6035 have never been done quite as well since then on ANY of the devices that came after. And the I300 was a Tank. I beat the hell out of that thing and when I finally retired it it still worked perfectly but I just plain needed more ram, and just plain wanted an sd slot and audio hardware.

I have been on the sprint network in the same part of northern NJ since before I got the I300 (about the last 6 years contiguous) The best working phone in terms of reception and clarity was my first, a Samsung SCH-3500
    The next best was the SCH-I300. The treo600 and 650 have been noticeably weak in the radio and drop out in many areas where both samsungs worked fine.

For me the Treo (even the 600) still wins overall because it manages to get more of the important points right and the compromises are more often in less important areas. But just because I love my treo doesn't mean that solid tank of a workhorse that took a lick'n and kept on tick'n all the sudden deserves to be called junk. It was basically the best thing since sliced bread 2 years after it was introduced let alone the day it was introduced. And unlike either Treo, IT WORKED AS ADVERTISED since day one. I still can't beleive what a disaster that last fully official patch was from palmone for the 600. My 600 couldn't make or receive a phone call 9 times out of 10 after that.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Please PM me when the i730 is available.
    LOL !!
    That thing will take a year to be available, if it does not become a vaporware.By that time you will have a T700 in your hand.
    DAMN IT. EVERY TIME I think I found something I want, there's something better. I guess I'm waiting for the Samsung. Forget the JAM. The qwerty is a must.
    I really like the Samsung I730. If it comes out for sprint i might just change. I cant stand this 650 anymore!
    samsung have Palm PDA phone , but where can I buy GSM PDA phone ??
    by the way , have anyone use Xplorer M28
    The only thing I've seen yet that might entice me off my treo is this:
    http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2220873893.html

or maybe more likely this one, gee I'm even back on topic since it's a samsung...
    http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4481058519.html

but... no keyboard... that's a tough call.
    linux ... keyboard ... linux ... keyboard ... arggghh
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani

the i530 is the king of Vaporware. You will probably never see this phone in America.

Samsung has a long history of announcing products and either never releasing them, or releasing them after a long delay.

I admit the i730 looks very good, but I wouldnt hold your breath seeing it for awhile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast