Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Had my 650 for two weeks. t600 for 13 months.
    you can not do everything one handed on the TREOs. (period)
    as far as the PPC take the example of HOBBS I mean think about it, he uses the phone one pawed.
    I can do just about everything 1 handed. I've use my 600 for over a year, and I do just about everything except typing with 1 hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    I can do just about everything 1 handed. I've use my 600 for over a year, and I do just about everything except typing with 1 hand.

then you are underutilizing your treo. It only functions as basic PIM, few rudimentary apps and phone.
    As more and more applications are updated to take advantage of the popular product more and more can be done one handed. It's a quite pleasant cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    then you are underutilizing your treo. It only functions as basic PIM, few rudimentary apps and phone.
    I don't think we've ever met, so I don't think you know how I use my phone.
    I think the only big advantage the Treo has for one handed op has over the PPC OS is that Palm 3rd party apps have had a year head start to adapt their apps for 5 way nav. The PPC 3rd party apps are where Palm was this time last year......I mean look how long it took Dataviz to update DTG with 5 way nav suupport....we have the power wtih the PPC and can use 85% of our potential and just waiting for the 3rd party developers to catch up to give that full last 15%.

As far as the OS on the 660x, it is very one handed nav'able.
    Keep deluding yourself. You can't do EVERYTHING one-handed on either device. Some things are easier on one and some are easier on the other. :shrug for the troll:
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    As more and more applications are updated to take advantage of the popular product more and more can be done one handed. It's a quite pleasant cycle.
    good grief, I forgot about how treo650 are barely compatible with anything. With PPC everything is standard (yes even emulator runs). If any PPC phone has even half treo650 incompatibilies, people will be rioting on the street.

nevermind 'more and more application are updated...'

note: fixity fix.
    Last edited by suskind; 01/12/2005 at 11:28 PM.
    Compatible with anything in PPC standard? I'm not sure I know what that means. Regardless, the very fact that you feel you need to turn a tide here demonstrates at least what people think, and in this business that's the most important thing of all.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I think the only big advantage the Treo has for one handed op has over the PPC OS is that Palm 3rd party apps have had a year head start to adapt their apps for 5 way nav. The PPC 3rd party apps are where Palm was this time last year......I mean look how long it took Dataviz to update DTG with 5 way nav suupport....we have the power wtih the PPC and can use 85% of our potential and just waiting for the 3rd party developers to catch up to give that full last 15%.

As far as the OS on the 660x, it is very one handed nav'able.
    PPC has 5 ways D-pad all the way back when Palm was still using up and down switch in Vx. This one hand bit is a total marketing BS from handspring.

take PPC third party apps for dialing.
    Treo still does not have things like contact breeze, vito dialer, mobile contact, VD, etc... All those are million years ahead compared to handspring modified PIM.

PIM, basic machine maintenance and short input. are all doable with thumb and Dpad. Is there any basic operation that can't be done using a thumb in one hand. (yes touch screen included)... Not that I know of. That is the operating definition of one hand right?

If treo user insist thats using touchscreen with thumb is not one hand operation. Than that's just treo user problem with defining one hand operation trying to insist treo has some sort of special capability.

SPeaking of interface. Palm OS doesn't even have drag and tap n hold. that to me is limiting touch screen potential.

eg, how does a Palm user cut a large section of text in web browser or any text application, open IM, email and wordprocessor and paste the text to all 3 applications using only a thumb? You gonna need a massive finger gymnastic to pull it out. PPC user only need to tap n hold his way through.

All these using a thumb while holding to your briefcase. Wireless connection is one of course.

Let's be clear here: treo user doesn't know what one hand operation mean. It's just Handspring marketing talk for that enhanced PIM. that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Compatible with anything in PPC standard? I'm not sure I know what that means. Regardless, the very fact that you feel you need to turn a tide here demonstrates at least what people think, and in this business that's the most important thing of all.

sorry was talking on the phone while posting.

what I meant was treo has serious compatibility issue, while everything is standard on PPC. The most serious problem a PPC phone get is always anything with wireless, since they are custom made for each company. And occasionally hardware buttons. But aside from that, no PPC user will accept problem with software crashing or not looking right because of memory or screen or different processor.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Let's be clear here: treo user doesn't know what one hand operation mean. It's just Handspring marketing talk for that enhanced PIM. that's it.
    suskind, you wouldn't know how to be clear if your life depended on it.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    enough already. to each his/her own. PPC has some good feature and some great features just as the Treo, You can do most one handed if you want who cares. The point I was going for was it doesn't matter you win with both.
    lets get back to the apps and cases and hardware.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    So I read a lot of this kind of discussion, but only yesterday did I actually get to try the 650 and the 660x. From my experience, I was able to do almost anything I wanted on the 650 one-handed and it was intuitive to me. For the 660x I had a lot of trouble, and had to use either the keyboard or stylus a lot. It's possible that it's just a learning curve difference, but for those who don't have time to waste on learning how to use a cell phone, the 650 seemed much faster to use (to me). I like both devices so I'd like to think I'm unbiased
    It should be noted that anythign that requires the keyboard on the 660x requires an additional step than it does on the Treo. There are upsides to a retracting keyboard, but downsides as well.
    Uh, I don't even know what you just said. Is that pro PPC or anti PPC?
    The 660x is just not phone-like enough for my taste. With proper software setup and right apps, you can probably make it just as one-handed functional as the Treo or any other device, but from my brief experiences playing with the handhled, it just is not as intuitive out the box with one hand usage which is where the Treo shines. Often b/c of the way the 660x is designed, I ended up holding it with both hands to use. Perhaps I would utililzed more one-handed operation if I used the handheld more, but it wasn't automatic which is the point here I think...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 01/25/2005 at 07:32 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    For those saying the 6601 is not a one handed device, what applications and programs can you NOT access through the d-pad or hard keys?
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    For those saying the 6601 is not a one handed device, what applications and programs can you NOT access through the d-pad or hard keys?
    Is this a trick question from a guy who has evidently devised a no-hand device?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    You guys aren't doing something right-- my 650 can reboot without any hands at all! It must have just wanted to refresh itself...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast