Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    this thread along with others is always quite interesting. i don't think i've gotten use to people giving reviews on a product they've played with for 15 minutes or for a day. but alas, let me answer your one hand question.
    the main difference i see between the 600 (read 600 not 650) keyboard was the ability to actually touch a few keys one-handedly. sometimes i'd be sitting on the throne and type a "yes" or "no" or "lol" im through verichat, etc. the keys on the 600 were raised more, thus enabling the feel that seemed to be more comfortable. this shouldn't take away from the 6600 keyboard, but it is spacier and of course not as much raised. now i have a ton of programs on my 6601, agile messenger, icq, netfront3 (java lite web browser) , morphgear (console emulator), betaplayer, etc. there are very little programs that i get the stylus out for (mainly the reset once a week for stability) and the only program the comes to mind is jawbreaker (bejeweled like video game). the added hard button / start menu button and OK button really do a good job in selecting programs etc, as for clicking on links, when i use pocket IE i'll use the keyboard extended and use the arrow keys to select links, unless i use NetFront3 where i can use the 5 way to select links. think of netfront as webpro for palmOS or the java browser. i actually like using the device one handed with the keyboard extended, it gives more weight and shifts center of gravity while resting in my palm. i'm sure my explanation won't end this "rumor" but i thought i' try to better explain it since i've had this since mid nov and am very pleased. a lot of misinformation out there about the device but, what are you suppose to do?
    sledgie

ps the only program i can think of having to use two hands (other than the game emulator) is VNC and terminal services client (remote desktop)
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Had my 650 for two weeks. t600 for 13 months.
    you can not do everything one handed on the TREOs. (period)
    as far as the PPC take the example of HOBBS I mean think about it, he uses the phone one pawed.
    It is apparent that users here will not allow the rumor to end. I don't know why, but for some reason overzealous Treo owners refuse to admit what it really can and can't do well. Yes, it is possible to use one-handed, but not very useful.

Then again, I just bought a program that lets me type sms messages without taking the phone out of my pocket...or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    The 660x is just not phone-like enough for my taste. With proper software setup and right apps, you can probably make it just as one-handed functional as the Treo or any other device, but from my brief experiences playing with the handhled, it just is not as intuitive out the box with one hand usage which is where the Treo shines. Often b/c of the way the 660x is designed, I ended up holding it with both hands to use. Perhaps I would utililzed more one-handed operation if I used the handheld more, but it wasn't automatic which is the point here I think...
    We could always glue a 650 antenna on it for you to help give that phonish look!

Actually there are some really cool dialing apps that are being adapted to work specifically with the 660x series of phones. A group of us over at PDAhomePhone have been working with the programer and owner of Potala Software at http://www.potalasoftware.com/telly.aspx with their really cool product. This adds distinctive rings, easy one handed operation, etc... He is having a major upgrade release early this next month to include even more features like calendar, scheduling, etc....

And as for one handed, I agree the Treo may be more natural, but the 660x is very much the same believe it or not. It has 8 programable hardware buttons for one touch access to the most urgent apps. The 5 way nav works just the same as the 650 (though I think that many 3rd party apps still need to more fully utilitize that power). I as I mentioned before I have a cracked screen and have been forced into none screen interaction and can tell you that once you use it for any length of time it becomes very easy to nav and very one handable.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=HobbesIsReal]We could always glue a 650 antenna on it for you to help give that phonish look!
    QUOTE]

or maybe the Treo will come out with a slide away keyboard. hummm, 5 inch screen keyboard on demand. That would be fun except we Treo owners would turn our head sideward and pretend we have landscape.
    Well at least no one has it all, or else there would be nothing to post about.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandoc
    For those saying the 6601 is not a one handed device, what applications and programs can you NOT access through the d-pad or hard keys?
    The only "programs" I find challenging to access one-handed on the XV6600 are settings in the control panel on the second and third tabs or programs with a similar interface. To access these one-handed I need to take my thumb off the 5-way and mash the desired tab at the bottom of the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    We could always glue a 650 antenna on it for you to help give that phonish look!
    Hehe... it's not just the antenna, sorry. I think you've failed to see the main point I was tryig to make. The Treo is more a phone-like device with handheld functionlaity...that is it was designed to be more like a phone first and foremost. You certainly cannot make that same assestment about the 660x/PDA2k etc. The 660x is more a of a wireless pda with phone functionality. It is about a totally different set of design philosophies when you approach these two different devices...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hehe... it's not just the antenna, sorry. I think you've failed to see the main point I was tryig to make. The Treo is more a phone-like device with handheld functionlaity...that is it was designed to be more like a phone first and foremost. You certainly cannot make that same assestment about the 660x/PDA2k etc. The 660x is more a of a wireless pda with phone functionality. It is about a totally different set of design philosophies when you approach these two different devices...
    Good post.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    I think your exactly right, gfunkmagic. Some of us need more of a multi-tool that has the convenience of a built in phone (sx66, pda2k) and others need a phone that has the versatility to run other applications (Treo). Depending on your needs, you'll choose one or the other.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    One oddball question about the 660x - when using the 5-way in the programs folder (the one that looks like the palm launcher), when i hit "down" it would move from left-->right-->next line at left-->right-->next line etc. Is there an option to just make the thing go DOWN when i hit down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozzer
    One oddball question about the 660x - when using the 5-way in the programs folder (the one that looks like the palm launcher), when i hit "down" it would move from left-->right-->next line at left-->right-->next line etc. Is there an option to just make the thing go DOWN when i hit down?
    yeah i noticed this too. dont know if you can change it
    I agree that the design philosophies are unique from each other, both with pros and cons and both will attract and discourage different users. I had my treo 600 for over 10 months and have had my 6601 now for nearly 3 months. I really do feel that the PDA vs Phone or Phone vs PDA is a misconception with the 6601 and the 650. Speaking purely on form factor alone, yes I totally agree (few mm smaller, hardware number keys always showing, and of course has an antenna )....but as far as functionality I don't agree. To show you what I mean, here is what I wrote about the phone aspect in a review I posted awhile back ( Using 6601 On the Road for Week..... ):

I do feel that the 660x has proven to be a more full featured PDA without loosing any phone features or integration offered by the 650. The reception was has been great so far. Even going over mountain passes I had 2 bars of reception where I know for a fact my Treo was out of service.

The Treo starts with the phone loaded and then you switch to the PDA, the 660x is just the opposite....it starts with the PDA OS and with a single hardware button you can launch the phone app to make a call. Just like the Treo, you can receive calls no matter where you are.

It seems very well integrated in with the contacts with a call History that is still showing my complete list of outgoing and incoming calls.

The only big advantage I can see that the Treo has is that with the keyboard always out, it is easier to hit a letter to jump to a contact. You can do the exact same thing with the 660x, but have one extra step of sliding the keyboard out. Though voice command on the 660x will jump right to the contact you want to look up, which I find more useful unless in situation like a business meeting. Browsing the contacts with 5-way is very much the same on both.

The really cool thing I love on the 660x phone app that puts the Treo at a disadvantage is the Notes application at the bottom. How many times have you been on a call and needed run and find a pen and paper to jot down some vital info like a phone number or directions? No more worries with the 660x. With a tap on a icon, you have Notes open and ready for you to scribble on. Then you can select Recognize to have your scribbles converted into text!!! It will even keep your notes that you made attached to the call in your history! While on the road this week, I have found this single feature to save my life...almost literally, as I scribbled down directions in Notes on my 6601 (as I could not find a pen for the life of me) while driving lost in a bad part of town in a city I did not know at all at night while driving a Jaguar rental car.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/26/2005 at 09:49 PM.
    For some reason I don't see it. Help me out, can you provide some examples of why the Treo is more of a phone than the 6600/pda2k/sx66 line of phones?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    duh! farz its obvious! an ten na
    And the debate continues. Well, as long as it is healthy and informative.

I went from T650 to PPC6601. To me, they are both PDA phones, both have the slab form factor, and both are expensive as hell. What I wanted get was how well applications of one device (PDA /or Phone) are integrated into the other device. Just one example to keep the post a little short:

I'm on the phone and need to write down some important information from the caller including text, numbers, and possibly drawing of some diagrams. With my PPC I can have a choice of typing (QWERTY hard or virtual keyboard), handwriting recognition using scriber, or simply scribbling with my stylus, all in one notepad that is double referenced; once in notepad app, and once attached to the individual call in the call history. There is no question that this info is related to that phone call. It can even be launched from the call history. I be faxed, emailed, or printed.

To me, this kind of application integration is what sets the two phones apart. Thus the migration. I don't care if use three hands to do what needs to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    And the debate continues. Well, as long as it is healthy and informative.

I went from T650 to PPC6601. To me, they are both PDA phones, both have the slab form factor, and both are expensive as hell. What I wanted get was how well applications of one device (PDA /or Phone) are integrated into the other device. Just one example to keep the post a little short:

I'm on the phone and need to write down some important information from the caller including text, numbers, and possibly drawing of some diagrams. With my PPC I can have a choice of typing (QWERTY hard or virtual keyboard), handwriting recognition using scriber, or simply scribbling with my stylus, all in one notepad that is double referenced; once in notepad app, and once attached to the individual call in the call history. There is no question that this info is related to that phone call. It can even be launched from the call history. I be faxed, emailed, or printed.

To me, this kind of application integration is what sets the two phones apart. Thus the migration. I don't care if use three hands to do what needs to be done.
    Another cool thing I have been doing is jotting down notes in the "contacts" button on the call screen when I'm on a call. I record notes about a conversation with a client in my contacts list that will automatically sync with my exchange server over the air when i'm out of the office. This is invaluable as I always know I wont lose my notes if something happens to my 6601 or I leave it at home, etc. I always know the info is redundant.

Can't sync the Contacts folder with Exchange over the air on a Treo from what I understand, only calendar and inbox... is that true?
    Quote Originally Posted by phildro
    You guys aren't doing something right-- my 650 can reboot without any hands at all! It must have just wanted to refresh itself...

Or relieve itself....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12