Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    What our you guys thoughts on the Samsung I730 soon to be released in a few months. Treo killer? 6600 killer?

    That thing is sweet looking and I am highly thinking about holding out for this one. Some say that it might be here in less than 3 months from now.

    Hobbes? duck? Any opinion?

    Heres a preview link:

    Heres a video preview first look at the CES show:
  2. #2  
    Looks very good except for the rather large antenna. Bet you good money that neither SPCS or VZW pick it up as it would compete directly with their Harrier lines. But who knows? I thought that I read somewhere that WMP 10 wasn't compatible with that version of Mobile SE?

    Also, what memory did they put in the PDA??

    Bob
  3.    #3  
    It looks like 128 of memory.

    I hope sprint picks this one up. Indeed this would compete with there 6600 line. But we can only hope right? They do have the 650 and 6600. So maby just maby right?


    What are the chances that this phone will arrive within 2 months from now?
  4. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #4  
    Verizon has already announced that they are picking up this phone -- it's one of their EVDO phones. I really hope that Sprint follows suit. Pick 'em ALL up, Sprint! Let the market decide which one is best!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Verizon has already announced that they are picking up this phone -- it's one of their EVDO phones. I really hope that Sprint follows suit. Pick 'em ALL up, Sprint! Let the market decide which one is best!

    Any updates on release date?
    If they do pick it up and is released very very soon. I might have to try my very best to switch carriers. But god I love sprints vision plan.
  6. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #6  
    I think I have jumped the gun -- Samsung has said that they are shipping in the first half of 2005, which means they have a carrier lined up. Everyone is assuming that Verizon is the carrier, since Sprint doesn't have their EVDO network ready yet. However, Verizon has yet to confirm this publicly.
  7.    #7  
    True, Sprint is also known for getting the goodies first also.
  8. #8  
    Don't know if any of you guys have actually HELD one of these beasts in your hands yet, but I have, and I can say - put one in your hand, use it for a while,and THEN decide if it's still all you think it should be.
    This sucka is big and heavy. I'm not saying it's not good or that it won't sell - I'm just saying that I've played with one, and the weight is....substantial. just FEELS heavier than a Treo. check it out for yourself, in person, then decide. You wouldn't marry someone just off of pictures (ok, well, maybe not) and a phone is the same way. You have to USE it to really know if it's for you. Don't just go off the pictures and spec sheet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Don't know if any of you guys have actually HELD one of these beasts in your hands yet, but I have, and I can say - put one in your hand, use it for a while,and THEN decide if it's still all you think it should be.
    This sucka is big and heavy. I'm not saying it's not good or that it won't sell - I'm just saying that I've played with one, and the weight is....substantial. just FEELS heavier than a Treo. check it out for yourself, in person, then decide. You wouldn't marry someone just off of pictures (ok, well, maybe not) and a phone is the same way. You have to USE it to really know if it's for you. Don't just go off the pictures and spec sheet.

    Of course, but we sure love options though.
    Since you held one before already im curious, if it is bigger or smaller or so when compared to the harrier ppc660x.
    Is it touchscreen?
  10. #10  
    My biggest concern with all Samsung products is delay. Anyone that has waited for their devices knows that it can be tedious. Months and months after "shipping today?" speculation posts in the forums.

    Looks like a winner to me though, I just hope we see it before 06.

    -rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  11. #11  
    Harrier and this thing - this thing is fatter. A little more narrow, but fatter and definitely heavier. The keyboard, when it slides down, feels like 60% of the weight shifts down to the bottom. Kind of like holding a box with a big ol' ball bearing in it, and when you tip the box toward you downward, and that big ball bearing slides down toward you. The weight shift is really noticable. That's what I think about it.
    I think it's just too heavy for mass acceptance. We'll see....
  12.    #12  
    I wonder how fast the processor is, I will take no less than 400.
    I just called sprint today to try to get them to tell me some info on this phone.
    The cs told me that her list is updated of incoming products till end of march.
    And no where on the list mentions anything about the Samsung I730.
    Hmmmm....
  13. Iceman6's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    #13  
    Infosync is the third website I've seen who have stated that Verizon will be offering this phone in first quarter of this year. Michael Oryl really likes this phone.

    http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5704.html
  14. #14  
    Verizon announced last week that they would be releasing this phone on February 1 along with their EV-DO Media (I can't remember their name for this service). It is supposed to have the new Intel Bulevarde (sp?) processor at 520mhz or somewhere in there. It is smaller than the HTCs, tighter keyboard, and heavier from what I hear, and with a smaller screen. Looks nice though. 64 RAM 64 ROM (does that equal 128?)
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    Harrier and this thing - this thing is fatter. A little more narrow, but fatter and definitely heavier. The keyboard, when it slides down, feels like 60% of the weight shifts down to the bottom. Kind of like holding a box with a big ol' ball bearing in it, and when you tip the box toward you downward, and that big ball bearing slides down toward you. The weight shift is really noticable. That's what I think about it.
    I think it's just too heavy for mass acceptance. We'll see....
    treo 650 Weight-- 6.3 oz
    Samsung i700 Weight-- 6.9 oz

    for some reason I seriously doubt the i730 will be heavier than i700 since it uses much smaller screen and overall a smaller unit as well.

    plus with the added weight, it will gain WiFi and 1.3MP camera, not to mention much bigger thumboard. (not that I can understand the concept of thumboard )

    http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000940024736/
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haduken
    Of course, but we sure love options though.
    Since you held one before already im curious, if it is bigger or smaller or so when compared to the harrier ppc660x.
    Is it touchscreen?
    yeah all PPC must have touch screen.

    the 6600 uses 3.5" screen, 7.4 oz.
    the i730 will use 2.8" screen

    It will definitely be smaller and lighter than the 6600, since overall it's a smaller machine altogether.

    of course, the approximately 0.5oz weight difference will kill treo user.
    heh heh...
  17. #17  
    I rather like the 3.5" screen on the 6600 and can't imagine giving up more to drop to the 2.8" screen. Every Treo fanatic that has seen my 6600, especially comparing the screen real estate had switched to the 6600 or has lost five pounds drooling and say they would switch...if they could. There is a major difference.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetLuvR
    I rather like the 3.5" screen on the 6600 and can't imagine giving up more to drop to the 2.8" screen. Every Treo fanatic that has seen my 6600, especially comparing the screen real estate had switched to the 6600 or has lost five pounds drooling and say they would switch...if they could. There is a major difference.

    surprisingly, the 2.8" inch is pretty popular. It is smaller and some icons are very small compared to regular 3.5, but so far nobody is complaining.

    I think it has something to do with extra sharpness and the fact it's a much smaller device. (mini)
  19. #19  
    I think this looks VERY interesting. The screen size might be the only concern for some who have learned to love the size of the 660x, but the smaller form factor may make up for it once it is in hand.

    I would like to know what the confirmed mem is. I think I will be sticking with the 6600, mainly because I just got it.....but if I was shopping, this would most certainly have my full attention.

    I am really looking forward to some of you getting your hands on one and posting a review.
  20. #20  
    Looks like a nice phone. My only concerns (and these wouldn't matter if Samsung or Verizon offered me one for free! ) would be:

    - 64 mb ram. It didn't take long to get used to 128 mb RAM, 64 sounds cramped now.
    - External Antenna: I really like not having that thing sticking out telling the world, " Look! I'm using a geek phone!" Instead I just look like a (more common) PDA geek that occasionally talks to my PDA.
    - Samsung: My experience with the i600 was love-hate. Loved the form factor, loved the weight, hated Samsung's lack of BT, SDIO support, and some peculiarities like power cycling on/off at a 1 hertz rate sometimes.

    The screen's not that big of a deal - especially if you don't rely much on the touch screen (and you don't need to with the PPC because . . . oops - that's another thread!) - I used to watch feature-length movies on my teenie i600 screen and didn't mind at all.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions