Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I finally got tired of hearing all the promises made by everyone regarding the release date of the GSM 650 and just bought a Motorola MPx220 from Cingular ($299). I've had a GSM T600 for a while and like it but I really need a phone/pda rather than a pda/phone. I need the pda functionality to carry around my Outlook files from work and occasionally do some web browsing and retrieve POP3 email.

I got an SX66 from Cingular 2 weeks ago and loaded everything on it. It is ABSOLUTELY a wonderful device, wifi and all! Its was just too big for me to carry around on my belt. I am an electrical engineer for a power company by trade and what some would call a "power user" for most technology. Once I got over the WOW factor for the SX66 and used it for 2 weeks I just found the "heft" to outweigh the benefits of all the extra stuff on the device. For some the size is ok, for me it was just too large. So alas, I returned it and got the MPx220.

The screen size is smaller than on the T600 but I wanted a compact device and the screen is sharp enough and large enough for my needs. It won't satisfy everyone's needs but for me its fine.

I like the clamshell case design in my previous cellphones and this one has that, for me it is a plus.

I have to say that so far I really like it. I can open Word, Excel, and PDF files using the native viewer (from Piescel, like what was included on my Clie I had before my T600). The screen is definitely smaller but with this viewer you can zoom in and scroll vertically and horizontally.

The voice command functionality is really integrated well. You do not have to "train" the phone for your voice. You can speak the name of the person you want to call and it looks them up for you, if they have multiple phone numbers you can speak "Work", "Home", or "Mobile" and it dials them. You can also speak the numbers to dial and it does that. You can also say "Open" XXXX where XXXX is the application you want to open and it does it just fine.

The ring volume is loud and the vibrating motor does a good job. The only downside I have seen so far is the handpiece volume is not as loud as I'd like. It does mate well with bluetooth devices so handset volume is not a dealbuster for me.

It does run Windows Mobile 2003 and does a good job. You can open the phone up from Windows Explorer when it is hooked via the included USB synch /charge cable. There is an included USB modem driver that autoloads on installation so I can use the GPRS connection of the Cingular network for internet access to my laptop. (I have the 19.99 unlimited GPRS plan with Cingular....it is STILL available BTW). While it does not have WiFi, since I have unlimited data with Cingular the GPRS connectivity works well.

It has Window Media 9.0 included so the MP3 playing and movie playing is built in. It has a miniUSB slot in the phone and I have a 256MB card in it. I think there is a 512MB version of this card available online, Best Buy did not stock it so I got the largest they had at the time.

The camera is a 1.2 megapixel with 3X digital zoom and a flash and takes 15 second movies clips as well. You can get the pics and movies off the camera easily.

I do miss the QUERTY keyboard functionality of the T600 but I found I really did not use it very much. It was nice when entering an appointment in my DataViz app. I have a 3rd party calendar app (Power Calendar) that integrates with the phone that makes the calendar very easy to work with. It is TRULY one handed operation. There is also a task switcher app, (XBAR2) that handles the multitasking of applications really well.

All in all, for me and my needs, a phone first then PDA, it serves me well. Its not for everyone, but if your needs are a phone first then PDA, the MPx220 deserves a look.
    Last edited by gacajun; 01/08/2005 at 11:46 AM.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Good review! Infosync weren't as complimentary though.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Ok, I had narrowed down my search for a new PDA/Smartphone to the MPx220 and Treo 650, both thru Cingular. Since you have used both the Treo and the MPx220, which do you feel better suits my needs?

I am a road warrior per say with work, although I am home every night with the exception of special projects maybe once or twice a year. I need to be able to access the Internet, my company website, and personal email on the fly. I need support for word (rtf) & adobe (pdf) docs so I can access my work orders. I need access to an excellent map application with directions and since I spend about 50% of my day in the car I need top-o-the-line handsfree capabilities such as speakerphone and voice recoginiton. Also, I am not very smart when it comes to all the lingo, as I am more mechanically inclined than technically. Put it this way I could build a computer, I just can't input the data and configure it.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryP2375
    Ok, I had narrowed down my search for a new PDA/Smartphone to the MPx220 and Treo 650, both thru Cingular. Since you have used both the Treo and the MPx220, which do you feel better suits my needs?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    The MPx220 doesn't have a keyboard. That might not matter to you, but it's one of the biggest differences.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I had a similar situation. I too had a treo 600 but moved on. I tried several phone/pda combos. I tried the hp6315 but that ended up not suiting my needs. I then tried the mpx220 and I must agree that it is an excellent little machine. The deal breaker for me was the lack of keyboard. I like to type out quick replies such as this one so I really missed it. As for as the volume, that is a known defect on the first hardware version that was repaired in later ones. Check out the info available on www.mpxgeek.com. You'll find you can probably get it swapped out. At any rate, I tried out the Siemens SX66 and I absolutely love it. Size is not an issue for me as I ALWAYS use a bt headset and I either pocket the phone in my back pocket or in it's case on my belt.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

I am a road warrior per say with work, although I am home every night with the exception of special projects maybe once or twice a year. I need to be able to access the Internet, my company website, and personal email on the fly. I need support for word (rtf) & adobe (pdf) docs so I can access my work orders. I need access to an excellent map application with directions and since I spend about 50% of my day in the car I need top-o-the-line handsfree capabilities such as speakerphone and voice recoginiton. Also, I am not very smart when it comes to all the lingo, as I am more mechanically inclined than technically. Put it this way I could build a computer, I just can't input the data and configure it.

Thanks,
    Jerry
    If you have to input data and have to read a lot of documents then I'd go with either the the T650 or the SX66. The GSM 650 is not out yet so I have not used it, but I do have a T600 and have used it a good bit. The SX66 is available now from Cingular. I have used the SX66 and am very impressed with all of its capabilities, it has the keyboard you would need and also has native WiFi. If you are a true "road warrior" and have need to send and reply to messages, something with a keyboard would be a must for you IMHO. The MPx220 does not have a QWERTY keyboard and the screen is smaller so using it for very much keyboard usage is possible but would be more effort than it is worth.

If you have to access pdf and rtf files the SX66 would outshine the 650 here also since it has Pocket Word native on the device. You can use the Pocket PC version of Adobe Reader on it as well.

The PPC platform also had Microsoft Streets and Trips so you can extract the area you need to navigate and load that on to the SX66 and navigate pretty well with it. I have not worked with a GPS hooked to my PDA so if you need some advice there someone else will have to chime in.

As for voice recognition, Microsoft has a product you can purchase for installation on the SX66 called Voice Command that will voicedial and open applications using voice commands. I have read about it and it is covered in other threads on this board. There are a few voice command products for the T650, you can read about them elsewhere on this board.

If I'd have to choose between the T650 and SX66, I'd chose the SX66, it is a NICE piece of work. If you are married to the Palm OS and don't care to learn how to navigate in PPC then choose the T650. If you have used or are adept at the PPC OS then I'd use the SX66..
    Last edited by gacajun; 01/12/2005 at 02:27 PM.
    GACAJUN, I bought the MPx220 also, great phone for what it does, but I found that it at Best Buy for $199 with a 2 year contract. The Cingular store and Best Buy in town where right next to each other so I just was able to save $100 from walking a few feet. I noticed you just bought your phone, with Cingular, you can return the phone and keep the service (it then turns into a one year contract when the phone is not from their stores). Best Buy will most likely make you take the 2 years anyway to get that $100. Hope that info helps.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Thanks John, $100 bucks huh. Guess I need to do a little walking myself!!
    GACAJUN, like you I think I'd rather have a phone/PDA than a PDA/phone. I am not a corporate exec that needs to carry around his office, I am just an assembly tech looking to make my job easier so I can save time by not having to depend on my PC. I really appreciate the advice though from everyone.
    Also...I read your post on another thread about low ringer volumes on the mpx220, did you get them sorted out? Cause my old T720 ringer volume was was hard to hear in anything but a quiet room and I had to ditch the earpiece cause I couldn't hear a thing on the highway. Have u tried a bluetooth headset yet?
    Last edited by JerryP2375; 01/13/2005 at 08:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    ....The ring volume is loud and the vibrating motor does a good job. The only downside I have seen so far is the handpiece volume is not as loud as I'd like. It does mate well with bluetooth devices so handset volume is not a dealbuster for me.....
    I picked up an unlocked version last week and been actively reading the boards more than my manual. There are different version of firmware upgrades that will fix the the low volume of the handpiece. Or you can modify the volume registry to change the upper limit value. I am waiting for Motorola's self-patchable firmware upgrade. It will also fix the slow startup time and camera quality. It should be coming out soon.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    GACAJUN, like you I think I'd rather have a phone/PDA than a PDA/phone. I am not a corporate exec that needs to carry around his office, I am just an assembly tech looking to make my job easier so I can save time by not having to depend on my PC. I really appreciate the advice though from everyone.
    Also...I read your post on another thread about low ringer volumes on the mpx220, did you get them sorted out? Cause my old T720 ringer volume was was hard to hear in anything but a quiet room and I had to ditch the earpiece cause I couldn't hear a thing on the highway. Have u tried a bluetooth headset yet?

The volume is a little bit low but not too bad. I have a replacement phone on order from Cingular and I am going to try it in the store before exchanging phones. I ordered a stereo headset (like the Seidio) for my phone which has dual functionality of listening to the MP3s and can switch to a handsfree phone by pressing a button on the headset. I have not yet tried a bluetooth earpiece but plan on doing that soon. There are several nice ones on the market, if you need that you have many choices.

Regarding the firmware revision. The version on my phone is 1.30. You can see what version is on your phone by navigating Start, Settings, About. On the About screen you will find "Manufacturer" and this contains the rev level. Mine says 1.30.0.0.

I have been scouring the boards for info and apps and have a few that I'll share with you. One of the boards I have been looking at is Smartphone Thoughts. You'll find information regarding several topics regarding the MPx220. There are several sites that have a number of smartphone apps but an interesting one is located in the Phllipines and they have a little bit of everything on it. It is Airfagev.

Some of the applications that I like are:

Calendar - There is a calendar app native on the phone but a better one is Power Calendar. This one has more features and I think better integrates with my Outlook calendar.

Backup - There is not native backup app and this is essential for anyone with a smartphone or PDA. There is one from ALL but I did not care for it. The best one I found was Sprite Backup for Smartphone. It backups up registry and data so it can do a complete restore. It backs up to the phone or the miniSD card. I have a SanDisk 512mb miniSD card.

Task Manager - Since the operating system is Window Mobile you can truly multitask on the phone. The best Task Manager I have found is XBAR2. It is not only a Task Manager but also have a scheduler app built in. I am using the scheduler to run an unattended backup at night. There are different skins that you can use as well.

File Manager - There is a native file manager app but I have found a replacement that has more functionality. It is Smart Explorer.

Bible - Not everyone carries this app on their smartphone or PDA but I do. I have found a free version the can be found at OliveTree.com.

Midlets - These are small JAVA apps that can run on the Smartphone to do all sorts of things. One good source of these are at Midlet.org

There are many other apps that I have found but these for me are the most important ones. I have few games, a WordPad app to edit files, an MP3 playlist manager and am still experimenting with other things.

Hope this helps.
    ......I need support for word (rtf) & adobe (PDF) docs so I can access my work orders.....

Jerry, if you need PDF support, and that it is a must...then you really have to use a PPC and not a PalmOS. While Palm with Doc to Go can view word documents and create documents in a format compatible with Word, it can not natively view PDF files. You have to use a desktop computer to transform the original PDF file into a Palm PDF file and then sync it to your Palm device. This is not optimal if you are a "road Warrior".

I use eFax and receive all my faxed documents as PDF attachments to my e-mail account. If I use a PalmOS then I would not be able to view/open these documents until I sync with my desktop PC (that make no sense to me, totally useless if I have to sync it IMO). If I'm at my desktop, I would use my desktop instead of my PDA device. I only need to use the PDA device when I'm away from my desktop.

Also, I think the SX66 is a much better device than the Treo650, but that is just me. I've used the SX66, The MPx220, and the Treo600 and I thought the 650 was going to be my new phone...but it just has too many problems, and too few features to work for my situation. Also, I need native PDF support (without requiring sync with my desktop to work).
    Thanks...I keep hearing about this SX66 available with Cingular, but I can't seem to find it on their site. Cost will be an issue I will consider as well. Or should I say I want the most for the money!! Not to sound like a dunce (cause even one letter makes a difference ie; V220/mpx220) but would the Siemens S66 as listed on Cingular's site be what u guys are talking about? Whats the OS on the SX66??
    Last edited by JerryP2375; 01/17/2005 at 05:35 PM.
    Woops...Just checked out Siemens site, thats not the S66. Guess its not available here. Would rather have something more phone based and sleeker anyway. That looks like a monster!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    The SX66 uses PPC and it is a bit larger than the MPx220. I noticed the SX66 was removed from the Cingular site this morning, not sure why that is. I got one for a week to try from our B2B rep at Cingular, it still should be available....not sure about it being AWOL from the Cingular website.
    Is there any software out there for Palm OS that will allow you to view word and pdf files without reformatting them?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Docs To Go from Dataviz works with Word. You'll have to reformat the pdf file to read them on the Palm. You can download the Palm version of Adobe reader to read the files.