Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    After 2 weeks with each phone (Treo 650 and XV6600), the Treo went back to Sprint last Friday. Poor Sprint coverage/service here in the DC area aside, the biggest issues were screen size (Treo too small), no Wi-Fi solution, lack of EV-DO and inability of the Treo to Multi-task. Things that didn't seem to matter were phone volume (highest earphone volume is just under lowest speakerphone volume on the XV6600 so you can easily switch in the noisy places), one handed operation (it's a tie between them), and "telephony" (they're both nice phones).

Size seemed like a consideration at first, but when you include Treo's antenna in the mix, its small-seeming profile grows considerably.

While driving along, my 6600 plays music over my stereo, runs my Bluetooth GPS, and works with my BT headset - oh, and I can check my mail (automatically pushed to me) at stoplights! When I make calls, the music automatically pauses, the GPS keeps working, and my email push hesitates until I end the call by tapping my headset. Converged heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    While driving along, my 6600 plays music over my stereo, runs my Bluetooth GPS, and works with my BT headset - oh, and I can check my mail (automatically pushed to me) at stoplights! When I make calls, the music automatically pauses, the GPS keeps working, and my email push hesitates until I end the call by tapping my headset. Converged heaven.
    The 650 can do all of that as well. It sounds like Verizon's 6600 might be better than Sprint's 6601 since the 6601 is awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    The 650 can do all of that as well. It sounds like Verizon's 6600 might be better than Sprint's 6601 since the 6601 is awful.
    Well, I think we can all agree that the SPCS PPC6601 has some issues to work out, the VZW XV6600 is a different animal and maybe (just maybe) the got most of the implementation right, and the T650 ( at least the CDMA version to date) has some serious growing to do. The 6601/6600 is a pda/phone, the T650 is a phone/pda, and there's plenty of room for both product lines.

This discussion is very helpful here as it tends to be less biased and is simply guys and gals reporting on what worked/didn't work and what they like and dislike about the various devices. Seems that none of us feel the real desire/need to defend our choices and we're getting some good infor here. Let's keep it up.

Thanks all,

Bob Duckworth
  4.    #24  
    Im interested to see more video footage of the 660x
    Does anyone know where I can find some usage footage. So I can get a good idea in size usage as a phone?
    The trick is doing it together at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Well, I think we can all agree that the SPCS PPC6601 has some issues to work out, the VZW XV6600 is a different animal and maybe (just maybe) the got most of the implementation right, and the T650 ( at least the CDMA version to date) has some serious growing to do. The 6601/6600 is a pda/phone, the T650 is a phone/pda, and there's plenty of room for both product lines.

This discussion is very helpful here as it tends to be less biased and is simply guys and gals reporting on what worked/didn't work and what they like and dislike about the various devices. Seems that none of us feel the real desire/need to defend our choices and we're getting some good infor here. Let's keep it up.

Thanks all,

Bob Duckworth
    I certainly agree. The Treo 650 isn't close to being perfect either. I just see it working better as a combo device for more people than the 6601/6600.
    Nice Thread....
    As for the speed of the 6601...both of my phones were really fast. No problems with graphic intensive games to playing movies. Until I installed SBP, then a lag at times. Good program benefits, but debating about the lag it can cause at times.

The 650 is a much better phone with some nice PDA functionality while the 6600 is a nice PDA with some limited phone functionality.
    I think I have heard this claim from you before and I have responded to this claim from you before....so for your benefit I will simply quote an answer here yet again to save you the challenge of clicking on a link and reading:

Phone: The earpiece sound quality is better than my Treo 600 was. I have asked several people on the other end and they said I sounded just fine on their end as well.

Though the 600 offered a speaker phone, and the 660x does as well. The speaker quality good, though not up to the quality of Nextel the king of speaker cell phones. When asked the other side how I sound, they said that I do sound like I am on a speaker phone, but was easy to hear to me.

The reception was has been great so far. Even going over mountain passes I had 2 bars of reception where I know for a fact my Treo was out of service.

The Treo starts with the phone app loaded and then you switch to the PDA, the 660x is just the opposite....it starts with the PDA OS and with a single click you can launch the phone app to make a call. Just like the Treo, you can receive calls no matter where you are.

It seems very well integrated in with the contacts with a call History that is still showing my complete list of outgoing and incoming calls.

The only big advantage I can see that the Treo has is that with the keyboard always out, it is easier to hit a letter to jump to a contact. Though voice command on the 660x will jump right to the contact you want to look up, which I find more useful unless in situation like a business meeting. Browsing the contacts with 5-way is very much the same on both.

The really cool thing I love on the 660x phone app that puts the Treo at a disadvantage is the Notes application at the bottom. How many times have you been on a call and needed run and find a pen and paper to jot down some vital info like a phone number or directions? No more worries with the 660x. With a tap on a icon, you have Notes open and ready for you to scribble on. Then you can select Recognize to have your scribbles converted into text!!! It will even keep your notes that you made attached to the call in your history! While on the road this week, I have found this single feature to save my life...almost literally, as I scribbled down directions in Notes on my 6601 (as I could not find a pen for the life of me) while driving lost in a bad part of town in a city I did not know at all at night while driving a Jaguar rental car.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Here here Bob. Good discussion guys and gals.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Until I installed SBP, then a lag at times. Good program benefits, but debating about the lag it can cause at times.
    Hobbes, I experimented with different SBP configurations and found (at least on my XV) the lag experienced was directly related to how many icons (shortcuts) I had on the Today screen. I ended up removing all tabs and all icons, save 3 (backlight up / down and a link to my calculator). Since doing this, the lag has almost disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    The trick is doing it together at the same time.
    Aint that the truth. The multitasking ability of this OS / hardware combo is truly something to marvel.

In my experience, the biggest issue with this device is those using it. This device demands an educated audience, but rewards those willing to climb that learning curve with an unmatched experience. I've been working with a guy for the last 2 days using his new SX66. He has gone from pure frustration to amazement and now he never puts the thing down. The device didn't change, but as his understanding grew so did his appreciation for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Uh, noob, you said you used it for a hour. Maybe you didn't get in a good spot, or maybe you didn't RTFM. Possibly you got a defective unit, too. Everyone over on the TREO 650 side gets all bent out of shape if you post negative stuff and you don't have what they call adequate experience. I won't get bent out of shape, but is it possible you didn't give this a fair shake either? Just wondering..... To be completely honest, I haven't used a PPC 6601 either, and I'm still waiting to test out the GSM TREO 650.
    It doesn't take more than 1 minute to determine that the processor speed is painfully slow when doing simple things like selecting ringers, moving between tabs in the menus, etc. It also doesn't take more than a couple of calls to determine that the sound quality is horrendous.

I do know that the phone does a lot of cool PDA functions that can't be found on other CDMA convergence units, but the phone side and processor speed were so abysmal that the POS had to be returned. If I always used an earpiece or needed the PDA functions more than the phone functions, I could see keeping the phone. That's not my situation though.

I'm sure that this phone will work well for some people and not well for others. People like Hobbes should stop feeling so defensive and just live with their decisions. Geez.
    It doesn't take more than 1 minute to determine that the processor speed is painfully slow when doing simple things like selecting ringers, moving between tabs in the menus, etc. It also doesn't take more than a couple of calls to determine that the sound quality is horrendous........I'm sure that this phone will work well for some people and not well for others. People like Hobbes should stop feeling so defensive and just live with their decisions. Geez.
    And I wish the TREO 650 owners would also feel the same way.

I have yet to get my hands on either one, but the slow speed seems to be an abberation. I think I for one would appreciate it if you could try another unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    And I wish the TREO 650 owners would also feel the same way.

I have yet to get my hands on either one, but the slow speed seems to be an abberation. I think I for one would appreciate it if you could try another unit.
    I would have tried another one if the sound quality hadn't have been so bad. Other people seem to say the same thing about it running slowly when compared to other phones, but only a bit slower than equivalent PDAs. I expect near-instant switching between tabs, accepting settings, trying ringers, etc. I'm a phone-first guy, so my needs are different than a PDA-first user.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    i think you had a bad egg. sound quality on calls is superb when volume is adjusted correctly (its the volume slider on the left hand side of the phone if you were unaware) and switching between programs is about as fast as blinking. unless you are considering the time it takes to press the start button, go to the programs menu, and select some obscure program that isn't key mapped already, you must have had a bad model. i still can't believe how FAST it is to load webpages. i still havent used my computer in over a month since i got this thing. good luck with whatever model you tried, hopefully it wasn't as slow as this 400mhz 128mb RAM stegosaurus. i still have 92 megs left over and i have no idea what to use them for. oh well, better more memory than none.
    sledgie
    Last edited by sledgie; 01/09/2005 at 07:45 PM.
    Other reviews that I've seen have complained about the speed as well. I guess that some people are willing to put up with more problems than I am. It's all good.
    I would have tried another one if the sound quality hadn't have been so bad. Other people seem to say the same thing about it running slowly when compared to other phones, but only a bit slower than equivalent PDAs. I expect near-instant switching between tabs, accepting settings, trying ringers, etc. I'm a phone-first guy, so my needs are different than a PDA-first user.
    Noob:

Have you gotten your hands on a T650 yet? I would be interested in your experiences with it if so. If not whenever you get one.

Bob
    Yes, I've tried a 650 as well. It was over a month ago and I returned it because of the outgoing sound quality. I haven't tried one again since the audio patch has been available.

The earpiece quality on the 650 was much better than the 6601.
    The phone app was slower to dial out on the 650.
    The speakerphones were pretty comparable.
    The speed of the 650 was much faster than the 6601 when moving between apps, menus and settings.
    The size of the 650 was better, but the 6601 had a much larger screen.
    I liked that you could get the fonts very small on the 6601, but I didn't really try on the 650.
    I liked that you can have different ringers and pictures for people in your phonebook on the 650.

I would say that I certainly liked the 650 more than the 6601 since it places much more emphasis on the regular "cellphone" part and less on the PDA part (as has been discusses before). I may get one once the fix is issued by Sprint. I'm curious to see how much changes with the official patch.
    Other reviews that I've seen have complained about the speed as well. I guess that some people are willing to put up with more problems than I am. It's all good.

the pda2k benchmarked pretty well. It's not exactly the fastest PPC, but nowhere near the bottom.
    Noob,
    You went through the trouble of ordering the phone, having Sprint charge your card, paying for shipping, just to try the phone for one hour? Hmm, I would have been tempted to at least keep the phone for a couple more days to put it through it's paces. What a pain in the **** to go through all that, activating it, and the trouble to arrange to get a Return authorization number just to barely try it. You didn't have to pay for return shipping, did you? One hour is barely enought time setup your email, test out the internet speed, play around with the today screen, try out SMS, try out Windows media player, play around with the bluetooth settings, among other things.

It's my understanding that with Windows Mobile 2003, once you open an application, it stays open, and it's just minimized. So if you're testing out every application and clicking on every icon possible for a hour without soft resetting or using a third party application which closes every app, perhaps that's what happened with your slowing problem? Just a wild guess.

If I bought a phone and tried it for one hour, and attempted to give people a constructive review on it, I would probably fail miserably at it. But that's just me There are alot of people on the fence right now, and we wouldn't want to push anyone off to one side due to a one's reported problem which may not be common or inherent to every 6601 or vx6600
    You don't have to get an RMA number or even ship the phone back. I didn't even charge it to a credit card.

Try reading the thread next time as I explained in detail all of the things that take less than five minutes to test.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    If you look through the previous posts you'll notice as I did that "noob" is the only one insulting the device they did not like. Those using a 6600, 6601, sx66 don't seem to have a need to insult the 650. It doesn't seem "noob" is a very reliable source. It almost seems he has a personal vendeta against the ppc.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    If you look through the previous posts you'll notice as I did that "noob" is the only one insulting the device they did not like. Those using a 6600, 6601, sx66 don't seem to have a need to insult the 650. It doesn't seem "noob" is a very reliable source. It almost seems he has a personal vendeta against the ppc.
    Amen jlcz. Noob, best of luck with whatever device you end up with. Anyone else considering the 660x... please don't weigh Noob's experience and opinion to heavily. Do your research and I think you'll find his/her results are not typical.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast