1.    #1  
    Here's my take on the two mentioned products:
    The Treo 650 which I was drooling to get did almost everything I wanted. Great looking screen, easy to use (one-handed), bluetooth etc....
    what I didn't like was the fact with using Sprint I couldn't make calls while roaming or receive data, problems with the bluetooth headset volume and the DUN issues. Memory issue was solved with the SD card so can't complain too much about that. And not to crazy about that chunky antenna digging into my hip (minor).
    Decided to give the Siemens SX66 a try yesterday....love the Wi-fi built in, connected right away with my Apple Base Station (range wasn't great though) Keyboard was fine to use (like the way it lights up also) Sound was just o.k. through the speaker (a bit muffled) but passable. Speaker phone....forget it!! I was in a quite room talking to my father and I could barely hear him. Also the ear piece kept catching and pulling my hair around my ears if you move it around to much (and I have short hair). The form factor was a bit of a problem for me to swallow. It was just to bulky and geeky looking and I like things to be a bit more discreet when when I'm walking through the mall with my wife and kids.
    A bit confusing coming from using Palm to PPC but took me about an hour to figure it all out and it's typical windows crap..er..I mean bugs. I'll get lingering window boxes on the screen going from on program to the other until a few seconds later until it sorts it out itself. It'll hang occasionally on some applications. A great device though that does numerous things....just not what I was looking for.
    So I decided to give the Sony Ericsson a shot....should come in a day or two....and here's why:
    It's a bit smaller than the Treo and the SX66 which I prefer (although I will miss that nice big screen on the SX66 for web pages..can't have it both ways I guess)
    I like having an easy to use and accessible keypad for quick dialing. I don't do a whole lot of typing on-the-fly so the small flimsy keyboard shouldn't bother me to much (I hope).
    I'm also hoping the ringtones on the SE will be much louder than on the T650 and the SX-66 (both very lame with ring volume ((T650 was o.k. if you kept in on loud ring or quick ring)) but the SX-66 was pitiful and couldn't hear it in the car with the radio on with it in my front pocket)
    I really want a 'phone first' device and all the PDA stuff secondary (Treo was close) Because really, isn't that the main reason we pay these companies monthy fees??? It's for the phone service. So it has to function as a phone first. For myself anyway.
    Didn't really want to spend so much on the SE p910 but I am at my wits end to try almost anything at this point until I find something that works for me.
    I kept waiting for Kyocera to update the 7135 because I prefer a flipphone/PDA and the SE 910 is the closest I have found.
    In conclusion; these are all good devices if they do what you want but until Apple (fingers crossed) comes out with a device that's more user-friendly and cleverly designed I will have to keep looking for something that works for me.
    Last edited by ericroberts; 01/02/2005 at 07:21 PM. Reason: wrong model number posted
    eric pls try windows based smart fones or pocket pcs they r much better than all these
    check this stuff
    www.imate.com
  3.    #3  
    I did try the Samsung i600 (was o.k. but very buggy and it required 2 replacements after verizon killed it updating the software) I did love the form factor on it though (except the antenna) tried the mpx220 but again the ring volume was barely audible and the earpiece was very low and tinny sounding.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ericroberts
    I did try the Samsung i600 (was o.k. but very buggy and it required 2 replacements after verizon killed it updating the software) I did love the form factor on it though (except the antenna) tried the mpx220 but again the ring volume was barely audible and the earpiece was very low and tinny sounding.
    Just wondering about the MPx220. Earlier versions had the low ring volume and handset volume but I read about a firmware update that was supposed to have addressed those known problems. The info said that the updated firmware was loaded on those with an orange sticker on the box. Was the MPx220 you tried one of the earlier models or one with the firmware updated?

I have a T600 and also tried the SX-66 as well, the MPx220 interests me. I also am looking for a phone first but MUST be able to carry my Outlook info with me, don't need to have the keyboard, ITAP will work for what little messaging I need.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I had one of the first MPx220 when best buy first got them a few months ago so it did have those initial problems. But my experience with Motorola have never been great anyway.
    I think just about all the phone/PDA's mentioned here do sync with Outlook so I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding that.
    so you think the t650 is a better buy than the sx66? i have the t600 thru best buy and am having some serious problems, i use cingular and would like to upgrade but dont know what to wait for. i wish best buy had an eta on those pda/phones but they do not.
    thanks for the help
  7.    #7  
    Not saying the T650 is better or worse. But I think I would go with the Treo 650 over the sx66 when the GSM version comes out if I had to choose. Palm OS is a bit more stable. If a PDA is more important to you with phone secondary then go with the sx66.
    Yea i think the phone is the priority, i just get buzzing, and the t600 resets about once a day. its a little to frequent for me, i just wish there were definitive answers as to when the gsm t650 is going to be out