Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I never can understand treo user claim that t600/650 has better one hand operation than mini or 66xx

I mean look at this picture:

t600 thumbad buttons are tiny, located very low on the bottom. things like mini screen dial pad are definitely better ergonomic wise.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...30#post4339330

I think its that Treo users are loath to touch their screen. It IS a "Touch-Screen" device after all. That's why they make screen protectors as I recall.

How do you like your JAM?

Bob Duckworth
    The Treo also has an on screen dial pad that for what ever reason, you chose not to show in the comparison picture.
    one handed in that you never really have to take out the stylus.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    The Treo also has an on screen dial pad that for what ever reason, you chose not to show in the comparison picture.
    Yup. I wonder why? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    one handed in that you never really have to take out the stylus.
    This is common misconception among many Palm users....or they simply have not tried the new 2003 Mobile Second Edition OS on a device with 5 way nav (yes same 5 way nav at the Treo).

Is the Treo easier one handed operation, sure...but not so much so as to make it a deal breaking factor.

To say you a couple clicks I will go ahead and quote myself as I have responded this question several times over throuhgout this forum...

Size: I wanted to cover this first as this is probably the number one fear factor against the 660x. I have to say that I have VERY small hands for a man, so this was a concern for me when I ordered it before I had a chance to hold it.

There is no doubt that the 660x is wider and taller than the Treo...we have all seen the pictures and seen the specs. But even I find it still very manageable, though not quite as comfortable as the Treo. I can even open the keyboard one handed quite efficiently (though it is easier with two). If you are looking for that sleek, sexy, small, cute phone that will close the deal for your Saturday night date, then this is may not be for you.....unless you put her picture as your wallpaper on the incredible screen (not a recommended tactic if you have not gone out with her yet!)

I am sure that the specs show the 6601 weighs more, but when holding it that thought never even entered my mind. It is very light, especially compared to other attempts at a PPC based convergence phone.

Pro or Con? I would not count this as an official con as I feel they did a good job in keeping a relative small size with such a large and incredible screen. Though I understand that for some a single mm larger than a Treo is deal killer, no matter what the benefits are. Please see next section for final opinion.

One Handed Operation: I do have to say that yes there is no doubt that it is easier with one handed operation on the Treo. But with that said, I have found that I can do a lot with the 11 buttons on the phone, especially since that 8 of them can be assigned to any program or a selection of commands. For instance, I assigned one button to switch from Landscape and Portrait with just a click of a button. Also with one click, I have my contacts, my calendar, my phone, web Brower, Media player, or email. Most of these are available with a single tap of the finger on the start page as well....along with a summary of the status, i.e. "3 unread emails for Personal Email Account", so you know at a glance if you even want to check it out or not.

Now with voice command added, I can see how this will only be enhanced. You can just say a name and have it dial the number. You can say the name of a program and it will launch.

Pro or Con? The Treo is more one handed friendly, but not so much as to make this issue even close to a deciding factor. Bottom line is Yes, I can do most of what I want to one handed on the 660x, i.e. make a call, launch a program, etc... but do find it more comfortable using two hands, often times just for additional piece of mind for not dropping a new $629 phone. The bigger your hand the easier on handed op is....and believe me you will find it easier than I do.

Navigation: This follows right behind one handed operation. Before I get into this......This is not a chance to flame in defense of your loyalty to an OS. This an observation in actual use.

As far as navigating the OS, I have read a lot of Palm users complain or express concern in how cumbersome a PPC is to navigate......but in practice I do not find a huge difference from Palm. I am sure that most Treo users had some sort of launcher, i.e. Zlauncher or SilverScreen. That was organized in folders with programs inside. You browsed the folders and then selected the program you wanted and launched it. Some did this with a the 5-way nav and some with a stylus.

Mobile 2003 on the 660x it is the same way. All one handed, just push the physical menu button and then with the 5-way navigation select a recently used program, a favorite program always at the top of the menu, or Programs to browse the folders. I have found that the most used programs are available with one of the 8 programmable buttons, on the Start Page, or wind up right there ready to launch on the Start Menu without browsing the folders. I never would have guessed, but to my dismay, I found that I could find and launch programs faster on the 6601 than I could on my Treo.

A Start Page add-on, will only enhance the ease of this process.

I have found that I can use my finger for a lot of stylus use. I have only really used the stylus when taking notes, or working in a specific program like Excel, using the File Manager, or playing a game.

With the 5 way nav on the PPC-6600 style phone, software and OS nav has become a moot point. Just like the when the Treo 600 first released, the 5 way nav had to wait for software to take full advantage of it to show it's true power. The PPC-6601 is in that stage now. It has the power and can be used to 80% of it's potential...we are just waiting for software developers to take full advantage of it.

I had the unfortunate event of having my screen crack in the bottom left corner on my 6601. During the process to have it exchanged through warrenty rather than insurance (my new phone should be here tomorrow) I had a great opportunity to really test the navigation of the 6601 on the road WITHOUT using the stylus for over a week.....which is a major con claimed by many 6601 detractors (aka Treo Diehard Defenders ) that you have to use the stylus for everything on the 6601.

I could still use the touch screen but the bottom 1/4 of it was WAY off calibration, if I could use it at all with touch. So I was left mostly with hardware buttons, the keyboard, and voice command for the majority of what I wanted to do.

This has only confirmed my original review of the ease of navigation with the 6601. I would first use voice command to dial a number, look up a contact, or launch a program. If I was not able to do that (i.e. in a business meetting), it was really easy to use the 5 way nav to launch any program I wanted. To manually look up a contact I just clicked the contact button and either 5 way nav'ed down or simply typed in first letters of the name. So I can now say that I rarely used the stylus for over a week on my 6601 while on the road with heavy phone, PDA, web browsing, and email use.

The only exception to this was games as so many cool games are stylus dependent.

Again, is the Treo more one handed friendly.....most certainly!!!!!! But is it that much of an difference to make a deal weighing decision.....certainly NOT!!!!!!
    I hope this helps...
    I still want to know what all the TREO users are doing with their other hand...
    Holding on for dear life to a subway pole on the train when you can't get a seat! Lol!
    Mobi·gas·mic!
  9.    #9  
    Enter sygic .mobile Contacts. This program is written with one thing always in mind: The entire interface is built around being able to use your finger to operate it. This "finger friendly" interface makes it easy to call up a contact while walking to your next meeting, riding the "El" to your next appointment, or otherwise in motion. Not only can you scroll, pick, and open a contact with painless ease, even while in motion, you can also easily see the contact information. .mobile Contacts uses nice, large fonts to display the information. You also have a user-configurable preview that can show you the information you're most interested in without actually opening the contact.

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=467

Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Yup. I wonder why? lol
    Maybe because thats the DEMO treo at the store?

Quick question for the anti-touch-the-screen Treo lovers. How do you use your call waiting? How do you hangup your phone call? How do you swap callers when using call waiting?

Last I checked it was by touching the SCREEN.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Maybe because thats the DEMO treo at the store?

Quick question for the anti-touch-the-screen Treo lovers. How do you use your call waiting? How do you hangup your phone call? How do you swap callers when using call waiting?

We have the option of touching the screen or we can navigate with the rocker then press the center button. SWEET HUH?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    We have the option of touching the screen or we can navigate with the rocker then press the center button. SWEET HUH?
    you do realize the other guy has the exact same feature right?
    Like it or not, MS lovers, but the microsoft's interfaces simply can't do anything beyond the most basic tasks without taking out the stylus. Yes, the 5-way on the i-mate helps, but the unbiased reviews I've read admit that integration with the OS and apps is far from complete. And many of the buttons, drop down lists, etc are simply too small to tap accurately with a thumb.

I'm sure MS will catch up, but right now the treo OS and apps, and most 3rd party apps for the treo, offer far better integration with the 5-way, and much easier "one-handed" use. The only times I take my stylus out are to play Bejeweled or Scrabble. Everything else is done via the keyboard, 5-way, or a tap with my thumb. Oh, try writing an email or journal entry on the i-mate with only one hand. You have very long, very flexible, and very finely pointed fingers if you can do it. It is possible on the Treo, although I admit two hands is easier. But for a quick Yes/No reply to an email or SMS it's quite feasible.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    you do realize the other guy has the exact same feature right?

The comment I replied to would have you believe that MS has a monopoly on 5way navigation. Of course we all know they do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Like it or not, MS lovers, but the microsoft's interfaces simply can't do anything beyond the most basic tasks without taking out the stylus. Yes, the 5-way on the i-mate helps, but the unbiased reviews I've read admit that integration with the OS and apps is far from complete.
    Much like the unbiased Treo reviews. After two weeks with both phones, the only advantage the Treo had over the XV6600 in one handed operation was the physical location of the 5-way. The Treo's more centered location keeps the phone balanced in the center of your hand when using the 5-way while the XV6600 is overbalanced toward the top. This is alleviated, somewhat, by extending the hidden keypad.

With the keypad hidden, I can do as many one-handed "tricks" with the XV6600 as I can with the Treo 650 with the same ease - I can do more with the keyboard extended. Some things I can do faster on the Treo (name select for dialing from a long, 900+ entry list) and some I can to faster on the XV6600 (switch apps duing phone calls to take notes or look things up).

It really does boil down to personal taste. After 7 years of fairly constant Palm-related products (interspersed with occasional, disappointing forays into PPC world), I find the Palm OS seems to be over-extended trying to do the tasks the XV6600 can do with ease. Most folks won't need to multi-task several apps, or want the larger screen, or the need larger internal memory - some will.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Like it or not, MS lovers, but the microsoft's interfaces simply can't do anything beyond the most basic tasks without taking out the stylus. Yes, the 5-way on the i-mate helps, but the unbiased reviews I've read admit that integration with the OS and apps is far from complete. And many of the buttons, drop down lists, etc are simply too small to tap accurately with a thumb.

I'm sure MS will catch up, but right now the treo OS and apps, and most 3rd party apps for the treo, offer far better integration with the 5-way, and much easier "one-handed" use. The only times I take my stylus out are to play Bejeweled or Scrabble. Everything else is done via the keyboard, 5-way, or a tap with my thumb. Oh, try writing an email or journal entry on the i-mate with only one hand. You have very long, very flexible, and very finely pointed fingers if you can do it. It is possible on the Treo, although I admit two hands is easier. But for a quick Yes/No reply to an email or SMS it's quite feasible.
    Uh...I have probably the smallest hand a grown man can have ....and having a cracked screen for a month waiting for the 6600 backordered replacement, I have used nothing virtually but the hardware buttons, 5 way nav, keyboard, and voice command. So I do feel somewhat qualified to say that yes the Treo is easier to nav one handed, but not to the point that it makes it a deciding factor in the least. Only with games have I really noticed a major disadvantage with the broken screen....and with some programs who have not caught up with the times to support devices with 5 way nav. As for the OS it is VERY nav'able one handed....with NO stylus.

I do now have a BT travel mouse, which I am not sure is support by the Treo, that is really cool to use no matter what and works great with the BT keyboard.

More details a couple posts back in my post under Navigation.
    The iMate MiniJamm since it has no built in keyboard is a fundamentally different product than any other device with a built-in keyboard. That alone makes the comparison flawed. The Treo should be (and is) compared to wide area phone devices (not Wi-Fi) such as:
    - Blackberry devices (both legacy and 7100-type)
    - Those P900/910 things from Sony with the little flip down keyboards
    - The various iterations of the HTC, esp the ones now available in the US from Siemens, AudioVox (both Sprint and VZW) - although you could argue that a slide out keyboard makes the comparison shaky, at best
    - Danger
    - That new Samsung slider thing - what is it? i730?
    - Those various Nokia things - 9900 whatever
    - Benq, if we ever see it
    - That crazy MPx thing, if we ever see it
    - And any other product with a built in (not snap on) keyboard.

We could argue all day long the merit or value or the need for a built in keyboard, but the bottom line is that mass enterprise market has been conditioned (rightly or wrongly) to think that a true email/data entry device HAS to have a built in keyboard. RIM has done that. So - having said that, the Mini Jam and any other product, great as they may be, one handed as they may be, still won't get the attention of the business market. So - don't compare the MiniJam to a Treo - compare it to the myriad of products out there with no thumboard.

Now I'll agree that you could argue that the Treo isn't FULLY an enterprise product, with features like a camera, MP3 support, etc. But - the thumboard makes the difference. Because of that, comparing the MiniJam to a Treo is comparing two products pointed at different markets.
    Bottom line for me - without a thumboard, any other device is just different and intended for a different market. Not better or worse (that's always personal opinion) but just DIFFERENT. For some reason, people feel compelled to bring out each new product and say 'let's see if THIS one is better than the Treo!' - as if the goal is for any new product to kick out any other product. There's room for many products - let the market decide. It does seem that the Treo is being held up for examination, always, as the market standard. Why must each new product be called 'the next Treo killer'? One product doesn't have to push out another.
    Last edited by nrosser; 01/10/2005 at 10:36 PM.
    Farzon, you asked:

--------------------------------------------------
    Well, I'm definitely an anti-touch the screen person. I LOATHE to touch my screen. I hate it. I won't do it. I keep it as clean as a clean room. So let's address your question - I do all those things with the 5-way. Call waiting? Scroll over with the 5-way and hit 'answer'. Hangup? Select the 'hangup' button with the 5-way. Swap callers? 5 way, baby. I do it all with the 5 way. As I recall, you were a Treo user - if you didn't use the 5-way for those functions, then you didn't get the full experience.
    Anyway - that's what I do. All with the 5way.
    I have been trying to sync mytreo 650 to my mac. It work fine except some of my categories don't show up in the treo when sycn is complete. I use Entourage and have about 21 categories and the treo only allows 15. It's wierd because sometime info is there and sometimes it's not.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast