1.    #1  
    What smtp server do you VZW users utilize for outgoing internet mail. Not the Wireless Sync stuff, but plain old simple outgoing mail?

I haven't yet found the server to utilize and would like to get this squared away before I hit the road Monday since my ISP does not relay the outbound emails from the device.

Wireless Sync is a whole 'nother story as I can't gt it running either, but thats not big deal right now.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
  2.    #2  
    Silly me. I can now send through the cox smtp server. Couldn't do this on the SPCS T600 so maybe VZW has some agreement to allow relaying via cox.net.

Bob Duckworth
  3.    #3  
    Well, Cox got wise and blocked the IP from VZW so back to square one. Anybody know how to set the smtp services up on the XV6600??

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    SMTP Server: smtp.vzwmail.net
    Username: [your 10-digit cellphone number followed by @vzwmail.net]
    Password: [your password that you set up on the vtext.com webpage]
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Ken. I'll give it a try.

Bob
  6.    #6  
    This just arrived from VZW CS after I saw Ken's message.

Bingo: Ken nailed it!

>>Verizon Wireless now has an outgoing SMTP e-mail. To utilize this service, you will need to register on your PC for a free Vtext account. Please go to <http://www.vtext.com>. You will need to change your current Outgoing Mail Settings (SMTP settings) to the "smtp.vzwmail.net" address, along with the username and password you registered with at the Vtext.com website.

To register for a Vtext account, please follow the steps we have outlined below.

1. Navigate to "http://vtext.com/" and select "Join Up!"
    2. Enter your 10 digit mobile number.
    3. In approximately 30 seconds, you will receive a 10-character, alphanumeric password on your handset. Enter this under step #2 at the Vtext site. 4. Enter and re-enter a personal password and click "Save."

You are required to sign up for a Vtext account, to use the username and the password within your SMTP e-mail settings.

username: (your ten-digit mobile number@vzwmail.net)
    password: (Vtext.com password that you designate)
    SMTP address: smtp.vzwmail.net

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through www.VerizonWireless.com. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.
    Can you use this smtp for the outgoing on a non-vtext email account? I tried to set it up that way and I'm getting the same error message I was getting before when I was trying to use my normal smtp.
  8.    #8  
    No, apparently you can't do this. CS suggested that I set up a "free, web-based" email account to utilize with the 6600. Pretty lame solution for VZW to suggest.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 01/13/2005 at 09:19 PM.
    Sounds like you got it all figured out now, Bob. That is exactly how I had to set it up. Cox, Bellsouth, and many others block the port that you would normally use for outgoing mail and it works ONLY when you are on their specific network, not through external wi-fi or cellular nets.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetLuvR
    Sounds like you got it all figured out now, Bob. That is exactly how I had to set it up. Cox, Bellsouth, and many others block the port that you would normally use for outgoing mail and it works ONLY when you are on their specific network, not through external wi-fi or cellular nets.
    Gadget: I didn't even bother. I just use VZW wireless Sync. Haven't yet set up a web-based email account. Stupid that VZW doesn't have a dedicated SMTP server for these devices (all email capable devices on their network).

Bob
    There used to be something called airbridge, or something like that. That's what I was using for my Kyocera 7135. If I can dig up the info I'm going to try it on my 650, hopefully it will work because I really need to be able to send email from my phone!
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    There used to be something called airbridge, or something like that. That's what I was using for my Kyocera 7135. If I can dig up the info I'm going to try it on my 650, hopefully it will work because I really need to be able to send email from my phone!
    The airbrige address was mentioned several times. Mixed results as I recall. Give it a try and let us know.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    I did some digging and I guess the airbridge thing was discontinued some time ago (which is funny because I think I used it last month before I got my Treo). Anyway, I got my 650 up and running using the vtext smtp server, so all is well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat
    I did some digging and I guess the airbridge thing was discontinued some time ago (which is funny because I think I used it last month before I got my Treo). Anyway, I got my 650 up and running using the vtext smtp server, so all is well.
    I am trying to get my Treo 600 up and running with POP3 email also, I have a vtext account, but the smtp.vzmail.net server was impossible to connect to with or without SSL. I am having a ray of hope with smtpsp.vtext.com at least it tries to send but then it stops and says that I am unable to log in, and that I need to verify my account settings.

You got it to work, what vtext smtp server are you using, and are you using SSL to log in?
  15.    #15  
    Anyone have success with VZW SMTP outbound?

Bob Duckworth