Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Since I have been waiting for VC to send me the demo t650 I have spent alot of time looking at the PPCs. And my conclusion is that the current crop of MS products surpass the palm alternative.
    The 650 and 6601 give the user an excellent test bed of product release and associated problems.
    Without going into details all you need do is scan two days for posts on HoFo’s PPC forum compared to TC T650 forum.
    In most cases the PPC users are busy Using there phones while the Palm users are tring to figure out how to make basic features work without bugs.
    Anyone agree?
    First, I haven't yet used the T650, but have a year's experience with the T600. Aside from the learning curve when shifting to the PPC platform, the change was pretty easy. It is Windows, which we all know how to use (well except for the dedicated Apple people out there and they have some idea how to use it since the two systems at least look very similar).

I would guess that the current crop of PPC devices are about as mature and the T600 is today. That being said, they are far ahead of the T650 based upon my reading of issues with that device and the functionality of the PPC platform.

There are problems and issues with the HTC Harrier versions out there, but this is mostly with BT and wireless networking. The PC/PDA/Phone functions work pretty well in my experience. However, never forget there is a price to be paid for being on the bleeding edge of technology. Early adopters pave the way for the mainstream and we pay the price with either platform.

Bob Duckworth
    Last edited by rduckwor; 01/01/2005 at 09:31 AM.
    I agree that both side are looking have their challenges. But is does appear that the issues with the PPC are going to be easier to fix than the challenges facing the 650.

I think a lot of it may also come down to the companies supporting development of the fixes/patches. With the Treo we are left alot with P1 and them alone. It also appears that some of the issues, i.e. memory, may have to do more with Hardware than software, which is always harder to address.

With the PPC we actually have your Carrier that can write patches, as well as the branding company (Audiovox), as well as the manufacturer (HTC), as well as the competing carriers (Cing, Sprint, VZ).....all often times working on the same issue. You add this to to the other branded identities of the PPC, i.e. Imate. And you start to get a larger circle of companies working on similiar issues. There is also MS, but since they don't seem do much in the way of patches or updates (except for good upgrades in a surprisely timely fashion), I don't count them.

So bottom line, It appears that the those paving the way with the PPC-6600 style phones seem to have an easier road than those with the 650.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/01/2005 at 11:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I would guess that the current crop of PPC devices are about as mature and the T600 is today.
    Believe it or not, the mini and pda2k are fourth and fifth generation Xscale/arm models from HTC, while t650 is first generation Xscale model from P1

That being said, they are far ahead of the T650 based upon my reading of issues with that device and the functionality of the PPC platform.

There are problems and issues with the HTC Harrier versions out there, but this is mostly with BT and wireless networking.
    right but these problem hasn't been tackled at all in treo650. Palm simply lock the phone out of BT headset and several serial BT drivers. Sooner or later Palm has to face it and it wil be as messy as in PPC.

The BT has been a problem since the beginning. It's very finicky since it's really designed for simpler phone and not PDA. So while simpler phone only need to make sure several type of BT devices work, PDA needs to address ALL possibility, including BT interference with WiFi plus multitasking apps.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I guess my issue is with P1 s thinking. I mean when the 600 came out we users overlooked the extreamly poor camera. But that should have been and easy fix Before product release. So now we are expected to accept 23 meg of usable memory when the world is clearly at 64 to 128 meg. There is a link about reasonable fixes for the 650.
    These should have been fix Before release. Now we have to find the problems so they will be fixed in the Treo700