Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wanted to start a thread on registry edits that you have found to be cool or more important, helpful.

PLEASE NOTE: Proceed at your own risk.
    Not to scare you off from having fun with the cool suggestions in this thread, but........Editing the registry can be fatal to your system, requiring a hard reset, if you do something wrong. So, always make sure you have a current backup before you attempt any of these registry edits in this thread.

These Hacks for WM03 Only.

This thread originally started specifically for the PPC-6600, but with the exception for some specific 6600 reg hacks all WM03 hacks pretty much work with all WM03 devices.

REGISTRY EDITORS
    Here are two popular resgistry editors:

PHM Registry Editor (Free): http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

MY Personal Favorite and the one I use is the Resco registry editor included in Resco's File Manager: http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp

Here is what I have found so far:

Enable policy restrictions (Pocket PC 2002)
    Screen rotate, landscape orientation
    Modify the Low battery warning (Pocket PC 2002)
    Use ClearType to smooth edges of screen fonts (Pocket PC 2002)
    Disable Start menu animation (Pocket PC 2002)
    Displaying Date and Time in the title bar
    Changing the Storage Card name
    TCP/IP Hosts file equivalent
    Files associations
    Enable Microsoft original Backlight and Contrast Settings applets
    Changing the System Font
    Change Pocket Internet Explorer Codepage
    Start Items
    Serial/USB/IrDA Direct Cable Connection
    TCP/IP Configuration
    Windows animations
    Default Input Method
    Changing the TCP window size
    Changing the Glyph cache (fonts)
    Changing scroll bars sizes
    Enable ClearType for the HTML Viewer
    Card battery warning
    Store Temporary Internet Files on Storage Card
    Store AvantGo on Storage Card
    Enable left and right for Windows Media Player
    Windows Media Player background quality
    Remove a Today Item
    Pocket Internet Explorer Script errors
    Pocket Internet Explorer as Internet Explorer 5.5

( above links can be found at http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/ )
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/06/2006 at 12:12 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Here is a copy of another post:

( http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=532304 )
    On the Blue Angel...PDA2k/SX66 and so on, there is a Reg hack to make the Extended ROM visible.

To enable it:
    Hkey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSYEMS\StorageManager\Profiles
    \TRUEFFS_DOC.......Mount Flags should be set to "0"

To disable set Mount Flags to "1"

This hack makes it viewable. If you would like to edit it in any way there is a little app that unlocks it which you can download below. Run this app in a PPC file explorer that has a "run" function with the arguement -xda3 -unlock or -xda3 -lock to relock it.

One thing I have done in the past to increase the available ROM storage on XDA IIs and IIIs is to remove all the .cabs from the Extended ROM and save them on my desktop and/or a Storage card. This increases the available ROM storage by about 15mb.

Keep in mind these .cab files are needed after a hard reset to reinstall those apps again, so you want to be sure to save them to replace when needed.

Dave

Attachment: unlockextrom.zip
    This has been downloaded 1 time(s).

Last edited by Evans on 12-31-2004 at 15:13
  3.    #3  
    Here is a site that lists some cool Registry tips. Since the site appears to have limited bandwidth and is suspended by the end of the month, I have copied the page below:
    http://www.purepockets.com/modules.p...q=yes&id_cat=6

Pocket PC : PurePockets FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

[ Ask A Question ]

Category: Main -> Tips & Tricks :

Question Disable power to your CF slot - perfect for wifi CF on h2215
    Blank Notes In a FLASH! Launch a New Note From a Button Press.
    Speed Up Your Windows Mobile Pocket PC.
    Add Pictures to Your Contacts Without a Plugin.
    Change the Folder Icons o­n Your Pocket PC.
    Customize your IE Start Page.
    Change the height & width of scroll bars
    How to access Network shares through Pocket Explorer.

Answer Disable power to your CF slot - perfect for wifi CF on h2215
    Just navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > drivers > PCMCIA > Change the NoBatteryCheck to 0

Now every time you insert the card it will prompt you if u want to power it. This has been a life saver for me on my h2215 with CF wifi because the card was always half-inserted (to save power) and it would sometimes fall out. Very annoying

Todd S. Sherman

Blank Notes In a FLASH! Launch a New Note From a Button Press.
    I was looking for a way to launch a new Blank note from pressing one button on my Pocket PC. Mapping the button to the notes Program will launch the notes program but will not automatically open to a new blank note. I was pointed to a little application called AutoNote. AutoNote is a program which will allow you to launch a note and name it with the name and date format you wish. Best of all the program is free! Download this program and read the instructions for setup (which is simple), then just map the program to a button on your Pocket PC! Now you have notes in a FLASH!

http://www.mindspring.com/~wayne.orwig/utils.html#autonote

Speed Up Your Windows Mobile Pocket PC.
    WOW my Pocket PC is fast! I just bumped into an old registry tweak that I have yet to use o­n Windows Mobile 2003. A foreign site todopocketpc had mentioned this and I was surprised I had not used it o­n my new install. o­nce I applied this reg tweak I immediately saw a difference in how fast my Windows Mobile Pocket PC responded. Today plugins load faster my Games folder loads faster. Its just an overall better experience. I would highly suggest backing up your Pocket PC before you try this as playing with your registry can cause problems if you do not know what you are doing. Protect your Pocket PC BACKUP!

If you need a registry editor, you can find a free o­ne at http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/regeditce.shtml

1. Open your registry editor o­n your Pocket PC
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\
    3. Change the value of 'limit' from 8192 to 32768
    4. Close registry editor and soft reset.

That's it! Let me know what your results are

Add Pictures to Your Contacts Without a Plugin.
    I got this tip from a user o­n a pocketpc newsgroup. This tutorial shows you how to easily add pictures to your outlook contacts and get them to show o­n your Pocket PC. The picture quality isn't that good but good enough!

http://home.comcast.net/~a.ashby/pocket_pc_training_web_photo_contacts.htm

Change the Folder Icons o­n Your Pocket PC.
    1. Download FolderIcons.zip
    2. Open the .zip file
    3. Copy the file "FolderIcons.dll" to \Windows\ o­n your Pocket PC
    4. Copy the "icon.lnk" in your sub-directory of Program Files. If you want to change the iCOn of the games folder copy icon.lnk to the directory "\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games\" . Each folder whos icon you want to change you will copy icon.lnk to.
    5. Rename "icon.lnk" to "icon.txt" and then click o­n it to open the file
    6. Look at the chart below and check the numer of the icon you want to use for the folder.Modify icon.txt and change the value at the end to the number of the corresponding icon.

Currently icon.txt reads 30#"\Windows\FolderIcons.dll,-215
      If you want to use icon 108 change to 30#"\Windows\FolderIcons.dll,-108
    7. Close the icon.txt file and rename it back to icon.lnk
    8. This is all you need to do. You can do this for each folder that you want the icon changed for
    9. There are more icons available if you download PHM Icons Library and change the "FolderIcons.dll" in icon.lnk to "PHMShell32.dll". You can see the additional icons below.

Customize your IE Start Page.
    Head over to Dave Beauvais' Web Site and download Pocket IE Start Page. Once you download it make sure you edit it to add PurePockets to it!

-Poqeteer

Change the height & width of scroll bars
    With a registry editor you can change the height & width of scroll bars. I like mine a lot smaller then normal because it shows more stuff I want to see and I find it just as easy to navigate.

Navigate to HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE\
    and tweak the following values.
    cyHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 13)
    cxHScr : Horizontal Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 20)
    cyVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Height in pixels (default is 20)
    cxVScr : Vertical Scrollbars Width in pixels (default is 13)

I have included a screen shot of my settings and you can see how it affects the scroll bars o­n the side. Play around with it until you have a setting that suits you.

How to access Network shares through Pocket Explorer.
    In order to see the Network folder you can download a third party tool like Resco Explorer, which will cost you, or you can do a simple registry edit.

Backup your Pocket PC before playing with the registry. This is good practice in case anything goes wrong.

To make the Network visible :
    1. open registry editor on your Pocket PC.
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Comm\REDIR
    3. Open RegisterFSBoot and change the DWORD value to 1.
    4. Close registry editor and soft reset the device. thats it!

Great stuff.

Thanks Hobbes!

Bob
  5.    #5  
    Here is another one posted on another forum for stoping the software keyboard from popping up since we have the sliding one already there:

If you bought an SX66 or other Blue Angel variant, chances are you did it in part for the sliding keyboard and thus have little use for the software keyboard that keeps popping up everytime a text entry is required.

There might be other solutions to this, but here is mine. It uses only "known" software and registry tricks:

- Download PHM Pocket PC Power Toys http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/
    This includes 3 new input methods, one of which is "Ext. Keyboard", which is basically a blank SIP that doesn't pop up anything when called.

- The second step is to make "Ext. Keyboard" the default SIP. http://www.phm.lu/PocketPC/RegTweaks/Tweak.asp?ref=13 gives a great explanation on how to do this, except that it doesn't include the ClassID for (its own) "Ext. Keyboard".

All you need to do is to install the PowerToys, make sure the "Ext. Keyboard" SIP shows up. Now, grab the ClassID for "Ext. Keyboard" and use the registry trick above to make it the default. On my system, the ClassID is {9DD23292-0AB3-48F2-A245-0713652A8CEE}
    I think this will be the same on all machines. To check, just open PHM Registry Editor, click on "My Device" then Tools/Find "Ext. Keyboard" and check "Data". The Key it will open contains the ClassID, which you can copy/paste into the registry trick.

Good Ext. Keyboard.

Laurent
  6.    #6  
    Heres another one, thanks to the guys over at HoFo helping me getting it work.....

First of all download the sound files I found on the net that I modified to make as loud as possible and save them in your Windows directory on your PPC device.

In the HKCU/ControlPanel/Sounds and you will see DTMF1-0 and *,# keys. In each of the registry keys delete the Sound DWORD data and insert a new string data named Sound. Then gave it the value of "\windows\*.wav" without the quotes and put in the name of the file you want to use for the sound, i.e. 1.wav for the 1 button.

That's it...now when you press two on the phonepad, it will say "Two".

The only cath is that it only plays the wav file for as long as you keep the button pressed. So if you hit and release the button too fast you only hear "thr...." instead of "three".

Is there a setting we can add to tell it play the whole wave file when the button is pushed?

Then it would be perfect
    Attached Files Attached Files
  7.    #7  
    Here is another one for you Setting the End Button to turn off Radio and Data or Just Data Connection....thanks to Bob Duckworth....This is good as some people want to end data connections to reduce the possibility of the BoD on Sprint phones, while others may want it set everything into Flight Mode while holding down the end button for a couple seconds.

1) FIND and type the word below and hit FIND NEXT.

flightmodeswitchbypnhendkey

(you can also just type the first part I'm sure it will find it).

2. Open that, and just switch the VALUE DATA from 0 (so ONLY end data connections) TO 1 (to end both radio and data connections by going into flight mode).

3. Hit OK and when you are out, and reset your ppc.
    Good stuff.

Anyone know if there is a way to move the scrollbar to the left-hand side of the screen (yes I am left-stylus-handed)?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydubya
    Good stuff.

Anyone know if there is a way to move the scrollbar to the left-hand side of the screen (yes I am left-stylus-handed)?
    i don't know if you can do that, but what i have been doing is sticking it in landscape mode and using the D-pad to scroll, have you tried that?
    *sparks*
  10.    #10  
    You can change the size of the scroll bars,,,,but don't know about the side?
    WOW! Looks like you've been busy, Hobbes. Great stuff indeed.

Isn't Resco Explorer wonderful for editing registry and viewing system files? It's the closest I've seen to Windows Explorer on a PPC device. I'm trying it now. I think it's a keeper.
  12.    #12  
    Not a keeper.....A MUST HAVE!!!!
    On the other hand, I'm also trying NetFront 3.1 and don't like it. It's too slow, and does not access all pages. The fonts tend to get out of control, and because of excessive compression, resolution sucks. It's even slow on WiFi, which is incredible, considering my average connection is 1.4 MBPS
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    tony-i Know this is a little off topic but could you test your wifi speeds over wan? ftping into your computer or downloading / moving a file from your computer on your network to your ppc? I'd like to know the download speeds of the gsm version over wan... getFtp is a nice little free ppc app to test it with. also, what have your tests been on average from downloading from the internet? also what is your max download speed of connection?
    thanks,
    sledgie
    WiFi throughput on [http://infospeed.verizon.net] averages 1333.3kbps. I checked it several times this morning. Download speed 500kbytes in 3 seconds

I'll check the FTP speed when I get a chance and get back to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by limesparks
    i don't know if you can do that, but what i have been doing is sticking it in landscape mode and using the D-pad to scroll, have you tried that?
    Thanks, that definitely helps for web browsing, which is nice with landscape mode. For other stuff in portrait mode there doesn't seem to be a way to change the scrollbar side. I searched around the web a bit earlier and didn't find anything, not even a third party app...
  17.    #17  
    Record videos only limited to the size of your SD Card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It took me all night going line by line in the Registry, but I did it....I figured out to disable the size limitation for taking videos. Before at the highest resolution I could only take about a 8 sec video because of the 250 kb size cap. I just took a 3 minute video at that same resolution that ended up being 4.7 mb.

It is in the registry........
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\AppDefSettings\2\

The numbers under AppDefSettings corresponds to the numbers found in the camera options...mode tab. Or the 4 icons in the bottom right corner of the camera app for:

1-Taking a Picture
    2-Video
    3-Picture with Frames
    4-Picture for Contacts

Under 2 in the registry you will see the value EnableLimit. Change this to 0 instead of 1. Close your camera app if running and start it up again. Change the default folder to an SD card folder, and now you are good to go with recording videos only limited to the size of your SD Card.

I hope this helps.

FOOTNOTE: Editing the registry can be fatal to your system, requiring a hard reset, if you do something wrong. Always back up everything before editing your registry.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/05/2006 at 11:40 PM.
    Hobbes, you're doing a fantastic job. I think I mentioned that if you worked for me I would gladly pay the full commission for your online services to this community and others.

All ya gotta do is loosen my leash a little
  19.    #19  
    To add the to option to have the size limit enable and to what size in the mode tab in the camera app, then edit this in the registry:

Go to
    HKey Local Machine\Software\HTC\Camera\Common\

Change the value of HideLimitSizeItem from 1 to 0.

Now close and restart you camera app. Click on Tools/Options/Mode Tab. And now you have new check box line to limit the size limit or not and with size if you do!!!!!!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Hobbes, you're doing a fantastic job. I think I mentioned that if you worked for me I would gladly pay the full commission for your online services to this community and others.

All ya gotta do is loosen my leash a little
    The looser the leash.....the more I get paid?????

Go ahead then, you don't have to run your posts by me anymore before your post!!!!! $$$$$$$ !!!!!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast