Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I used to have a Treo 600....went to the PPC-6601 and having issues with it (to make a long story stort its a ROM issue that allows unability of the phone for more than a 5 minute phone conversation without being cut off)

Should I wait out the rom issue on the 6601 or should I come back to the Treo world? How has the expereince been with teh T650? Should I make the move?

Isaac
    After having a T600 with Cingular and currently have the T650 with Sprint, I decided to order the 6601 and should get today (or tomorrow) I like the Treo 650 having always use Palm since I sync with my Mac. Right now I'm having some issues with it such as Voice Dial giving me weird artifacts on-screen, some people say I sound tinny on the phone, a long delay before the contact is dialed, and the bluetooth being half-a$$ functional.
    I'm hoping I will have good-luck with the 6601 but after I ordered it last week is when I started seeing people posting problems with the beep of death.
    If Sprint fixes this problem would you stick with the 6601? Since you have already used both you might answer that better than me until I get mine.
    There are several threads on the progress of this issue refering the Beep that disconnects the call. This is an issue with the 6601 only. It is only with a select number of phones. If someone has this problem it could happen all the time or only once in a while. Sprint is aware of the problem. You can try to return it and get a new one and see if you that one has it or not. But they are working on an update to correct this issue.

I am working some contacts on the corp level, others are making it known to sprint via tech support, local stores, etc.... At least call tech support, get up to Level II support and make them open problem ticket on this item so Sprint gets the message of how many phones are affected by this.

Personally yes, I would still recomend this phone as can do so much more than the 650. When weighing the decision between the 650 vs 660x and which one suites your needs better, please remember that the 650 has some major calling issues as well, like not being to make outgoing calls while roaming and really bad sound quality.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/27/2004 at 11:54 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Yes I've had a open ticket since the of Novemeber. Called them today to check if there was a fix yet...of course we know the answer to that.
  5.    #5  
    What really killed this device for me this mornin was...I spent all weekend getting it how I like it (software etc...) I plug it into my laptop this morning and it does a hard reset....lost everything but contacts.

Hobbs? Is your sliding screen becoming loose? That another issue that seems down the road might become a problem.

Isaac
    Quote Originally Posted by yitzchakis1
    What really killed this device for me this mornin was...I spent all weekend getting it how I like it (software etc...) I plug it into my laptop this morning and it does a hard reset....lost everything but contacts.

Hobbs? Is your sliding screen becoming loose? That another issue that seems down the road might become a problem.

Isaac
    you are the first person who reports this.
    have you posted in ijam and xda develper site?
    Yikes! That would be upsetting for sure. How often do you back it up? I back mine up daily "just to be sure . . ."
    I'm curious about that over time now too. Can't ask Hobbes yet - I believe he just got his original replaced. As for me, mine (XV6600) is only a week old today so it's too soon to tell.

Isaac
    There are others with the keyboard problem. I'm pretty sure that Hobbes even had to have two different defective units replaced.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...ewtopic&t=3109
  9.    #9  
    Yes.....I really dont want to go back to a 23meg palm world..but I might have tooo $630.00 is worth more than a device already breaking?
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    There are others with the keyboard problem. I'm pretty sure that Hobbes even had to have two different defective units replaced.

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...ewtopic&t=3109
    As for the keyboard there is a law of averages that units will have issues. Remember that this phone is NOT a new phone..... It is only new to the USA. , as the PDA2K had already been out for year so it already has gone through the test of time.

Most certaintly there are keyboard issues, but if you read through the forums they are no doubt the small minority of owners. Most say it is solid and well built or simply losens with time but works just fine. I have had my phone I am using now for over 4 weeks and have not noticed any losening of the keyboard at all...and I use it alot.

Here is a good discussion on this very issue: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=67309

As for my two phones, my first had a fluke that I have not seen in any forum anywhere is...it wouldn't sync. I one off issu.

My second one had a crack screen. Both phones had a great and solid keyboard.

Truthfully compared to the wide spread issues of the 650, i.e. memory problems, no outgoing calls while roaming, sound quality....the problems with the 660x as a whole are issues that only affect the minority of users.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/27/2004 at 03:55 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Hobbes: Whats the best method for me to get a replacement for my 6601. If I go to the Sprint Store they act like the device is from Mars (they dont even have the Treo 650 in stock yet), but if I call Sprint they want to charge me for the replacement phone and then credit me back at some later time...thats unacceptable and I'm not willing to do that...so how can I get a replacement. I have 1.5 months of Tier II Tech support comments on this phone on my "record" so surely they know very well I am not pleased.

Thanks for the help in advance....

Also do we know for absolute certain that when Sprint rolls out EV-DO that somewhere inside our mystery machines will automatically start to work on the new network? I live in DC and I know Verizon right now has EV-DO workin here..gosh hurry up Sprint..
  12.    #12  
    Also Hobbs...on your many phones....do you still have the beep of death? Is this an establish problem with all 6601's from Sprint?
  13.    #13  
    [QUOTE=Kupe]Yikes! That would be upsetting for sure. How often do you back it up? I back mine up daily "just to be sure . . ."

What software do you use to back up? Seems only thing I can back up is my contacts.....all the programs, settings everything are lost even after a sync with my laptop.

Thanks in advance

Isaac
    The PPC-660x is currently only available through business sales at the moment. With high end expensive phones, I think Sprint does take a deposit of the phone to guarantee they will get the old one back. I had to do this as well. This is a business sales thing I think...not retail.

the other option would be to replace through insurance, but you only get 2 claims a year and it costs $50 bucks!

When this becomes available through retail, then we can just take it to a retail store and they will be able to exchange if for you.

As for the Beep, it is only on certain phones as some are reporting the problem and others are not. My first phone only did it like 2 times out of 100-150 calls. The second phone did around 1 out of 20-25 calls. Since I am upgrading to the 6600, I am still waiting for my replacement for my cracked screen.

EVDO....cannot say for sure.
    Hobbes, you were 2 for 2 with phones having the beep of death? You also had one with a screen that cracked without even dropping it? Massive trouble getting WiFi to work and various BT issues.

Your new phone had better cook you breakfast every morning for your having to put up with so many problems.
    I had 2 PPC-6601 replaced because of single defect and a cracked screen.

I had 4 treo 600 replaced because of defects and a cracked screen when it only dropped 18 inches inside it's case onto a padded gym mat. ....but I loved it just the same!

Yes, but you will find several people across several forums chime in and say they have never experienced it on the PPC-6601. It is a noted bug that effects only some phones and not others from Sprint only. The VZ6000 and SX66 never had the problem as they came out after Sprint with a later software patch. Sprint's patch is due out soon.

As for Wifi...I never had any Wifi problems with the phone....I had Wifi issues with Scandisk refusing to write any drivers for their Wifi 256 mb combo card for PPC 2nd Edition OS that they claimed they supported on the box...an issue with their mislabeled support of the product for the OS not the phone. The Socket Wifi card was up and running within 4 minutes after it was delivered via Fedex!

As for cooking breakfast...don't know about that, but I can make my 660x run my whole house from turning on the A/C to opening my garage door, to turning off all the lights while I am 2,000 miles away!!!!
    What software do you use to back up? Seems only thing I can back up is my contacts.....all the programs, settings everything are lost even after a sync with my laptop.
    I'm just using the backup software that comes with the XV6600 - xBackup. It allows me to backup PIM data only or the entire internal memory (about 30 MB worth right now) to an SD Card.

Also, Activesync has built-in backup/restore capability, but I've never tried it.
    I've used that Active Sync B/U software to keep a current "State" on my desktop. Works fine and maybe its a good idea to keep copies both on the SD card and the machine that you utilize for syncing. I did notice that the b/u to the non-volatile internal memory (Storage Card) on the 6601 only covered the PIM data. I also notice that everytime I did a hard reset, the machine would reload this data immediately.

You can never have too many backups of your key data.

Bob Duckworth
  19.    #19  
    Called Tier II again today and finally got the answer I've waiting to hear since early December....they are sending me a new 6601 without charging my credit card in the interm....

I'll let you know how the new 6601 turns out...great news because I was getting scary thoughts of having to go back to working in 22 megs of ram.

Ok so I figured how xBackup now..thanks...how do I do a full back up with ActiveSync...do I need extra softare to be able to do such?

Thanks in advance

Isaac
    Called Tier II again today and finally got the answer I've waiting to hear since early December....they are sending me a new 6601 without charging my credit card in the interm....

I'll let you know how the new 6601 turns out...great news because I was getting scary thoughts of having to go back to working in 22 megs of ram.

Ok so I figured how xBackup now..thanks...how do I do a full back up with ActiveSync...do I need extra softare to be able to do such?

Thanks in advance

Isaac
    Did Tier II have any idea when the firmware update would be available?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast