1.    #1  
    Sorry guys, I love the Treo 650 (haven't recieved mine yet) but with all the negetive threads about memory, reset loops, poor sound quality, and software incompatibility, I am forced to browse else where. Upon browsing, I stumbled upon this phone in phone scoop. Highly attractive, and lots of features, iincluding bluetooth, and built in wifi.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/s...dex.php?p=i730

Also featured on the home page of phonescoop's web page, which displays the phone with its slide out keyboard, pulled out.
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...hlight=samsung

For more info.
    Someone posted this thread 3 days ago
    No way. It's not PalmOS.
    I've had both of these in my hands. The Samsung one is pretty heavy - that was my major takeaway. The slider is nicely weighted, and opens in a pretty slick 'pop it down' way. The keys, though, were kinda funky from what I recall. And I look at all these devices as suspect until I use them. The same applies to the Harrier/XDA - lots of cool looks on the outside, but how is the User Interface? How easy is it to grab a contact with two or three letters & easily call them? Can I get around all the apps by just a 5-way or equivalent? If I need a stylus for any reason, then no thanks.
    So - until all the facts are known, I look at this Samsung as just another one of the masses.
    What's clear, though, is that the market heat and competition is ramping up VERY quickly. Lots of sharks circling....
    [- lots of cool looks on the outside, but how is the User Interface? How easy is it to grab a contact with two or three letters & easily call them? Can I get around all the apps by just a 5-way or equivalent? If I need a stylus for any reason, then no thanks.

Amen brother,

This is what separates a Treo from the rest, none of thePPC so far have not been able to do so for me.
    I wish there was a simple word to describe what you are trying to say in above lines..
    Good luck on Samsung actually releasing this phone on time. I got fed up with waiting for the i550 and got the T650. I don't regret it.
    I'd just like to add a big DITTO regarding the Sony P910A.

Bought it, tried it and put it on eBay. I've now went back to my trusty T600. The User Interface of the P910 was very difficult to navigate compared to the Palm UI.

And believe me I really tried to like the device. It's difficult for anyone to admit he made a $700 mistake.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueCrimeNY
    Sorry guys, I love the Treo 650 (haven't recieved mine yet) but with all the negetive threads about memory, reset loops, poor sound quality, and software incompatibility, I am forced to browse else where. Upon browsing, I stumbled upon this phone in phone scoop. Highly attractive, and lots of features, iincluding bluetooth, and built in wifi.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/s...dex.php?p=i730
    HOLY CRAP THAT THING IS FUGLY!!!
    Moved. As far as I can tell, this aint' a treo;.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    No way. It's not PalmOS.

And?
    "Let me control the nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." -****** ******
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    [- lots of cool looks on the outside, but how is the User Interface? How easy is it to grab a contact with two or three letters & easily call them? Can I get around all the apps by just a 5-way or equivalent? If I need a stylus for any reason, then no thanks.

Amen brother,

This is what separates a Treo from the rest, none of thePPC so far have not been able to do so for me.
    I wish there was a simple word to describe what you are trying to say in above lines..
    Man I hear this rumor all the time on this board.

I have the PPC-6601 with the 2nd Ed PPC OS on it. And I strongly beg to differ. I had a cracked screen on my unit and have been using it for nearly 4 weeks that way as I wait for the PPC-6600 to replace it. As a result I am not able to do a whole lot of touch screen with it. I can say for a fact that the stylus is NOT a must to nav.....you can go nearly anywhere with just the 5-way nav, keyboard, or any of the 8 programable buttons. Not to mention that with a simply voice command I can open any program or contact or doc.

A lot of times Palm users simply don't realize the advances that the PPC OS has taken in the last two releases alone. I can honestly say that I can nav to and launch a program faster on my PPC than I could on my Treo 600 that I loved for 10 months.

On click of a button brings up the contacts and one or two letters later you are looking at your contact. Or just say the name and it brings it up without even nav'ing at all.

To see my detail review of how the PPC-660x OS compares to the Treo 600 concerning Nav and One Handed operation please go here:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    ( http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62661 )

Here is where I talked specifically about nav without the stylus with a cracked screen:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...8&postcount=82
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Hobbes-

How does the PPC-660x compare in size to the T600? I've had an impossible time finding one in stores to pick up and do the comparison. Is it much bigger?
    Joe....It is shorter than the Treo if you count the antenna. It is wider than the Treo by a couple mm. It is thinner than the Treo. There is no doubt at all that the Treo fits in your hand better, but the benefits of the PPC is a nice large screen w/ portrait and landscape. A big screen and rotation does make a big difference when surfing the web, emails, docs & spreadsheets.

Here are the physical dimensions:

650 = 59 mm x 113 mm(not counting antenna) x 23 mm
    PDA2K = 69.8mm(W) x 125mm(H) x 18.7mm(T)

Here is a portion of what I put in my Review in the I linked above:
    Size: I wanted to cover this first as this is probably the number one fear factor against the 660x. I have to say that I have VERY small hands for a man, so this was a concern for me when I ordered it before I had a chance to hold it.

There is no doubt that the 660x is wider and taller than the Treo...we have all seen the pictures and seen the specs. But even I find it still very manageable, though not quite as comfortable as the Treo. I can even open the keyboard one handed quite efficiently (though it is easier with two). If you are looking for that sleek, sexy, small, cute phone that will close the deal for your Saturday night date, then this is may not be for you.....unless you put her picture as your wallpaper on the incredible screen (not a recommended tactic if you have not gone out with her yet!)

I am sure that the specs show the 6601 weighs more, but when holding it that thought never even entered my mind. It is very light, especially compared to other attempts at a PPC based convergence phone.
    Pro or Con? I would not count this as an official con as I feel they did a good job in keeping a relative small size with such a large and incredible screen. Though I understand that for some a single mm larger than a Treo is deal killer, no matter what the benefits are. Please see next section for final opinion.

One Handed Operation: I do have to say that yes there is no doubt that it is easier with one handed operation on the Treo. But with that said, I have found that I can do a lot with the 11 buttons on the phone, especially since that 8 of them can be assigned to any program or a selection of commands. For instance, I assigned one button to switch from Landscape and Portrait with just a click of a button. Also with one click, I have my contacts, my calendar, my phone, web Brower, Media player, or email. Most of these are available with a single tap of the finger on the start page as well....along with a summary of the status, i.e. "3 unread emails for Personal Email Account", so you know at a glance if you even want to check it out or not.
    Now with voice command added, I can see how this will only be enhanced. You can just say a name and have it dial the number. You can say the name of a program and it will launch.

Pro or Con? The Treo is more one handed friendly, but not so much as to make this issue even close to a deciding factor. Bottom line is Yes, I can do most of what I want to one handed on the 660x, i.e. make a call, launch a program, etc... but do find it more comfortable using two hands, often times just for additional piece of mind for not dropping a new $629 phone. The bigger your hand the easier on handed op is....and believe me you will find it easier than I do.

Navigation: This follows right behind one handed operation. Before I get into this......This is not a chance to flame in defense of your loyalty to an OS. This an observation in actual use.

As far as navigating the OS, I have read a lot of Palm users complain or express concern in how cumbersome a PPC is to navigate......but in practice I do not find a huge difference from Palm. I am sure that most Treo users had some sort of launcher, i.e. Zlauncher or SilverScreen. That was organized in folders with programs inside. You browsed the folders and then selected the program you wanted and launched it. Some did this with a the 5-way nav and some with a stylus.

Mobile 2003 on the 660x it is the same way. All one handed, just push the physical menu button and then with the 5-way navigation select a recently used program, a favorite program always at the top of the menu, or Programs to browse the folders. I have found that the most used programs are available with one of the 8 programmable buttons, on the Start Page, or wind up right there ready to launch on the Start Menu without browsing the folders. I never would have guessed, but to my dismay, I found that I could find and launch programs faster on the 6601 than I could on my Treo.

A Start Page add-on, will only enhance the ease of this process.
    I have found that I can use my finger for a lot of stylus use. I have only really used the stylus when taking notes, or working in a specific program like Excel, using the File Manager, or playing a game.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/27/2004 at 01:32 AM.