Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For those of you who are CDMA users (Sprint, Verizon) and who don't start vomiting at the thought of using a Microsoft-based PDA

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=1044

Except for a VGA screen, this is an almost perfect device featurewise. WiFi, Bluetooth, EV-DO, sliding keyboard, 1.3MP camera and Treo-sized. The only question is memory. 64MB minimum would be acceptable, but 128MB would be sweet. I'm a Pocket PC guy, but I also use a Treo 650 because it's just a better phone than any of the Pocket PC Phone offerings IMO. This device could change things
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    of course you know you're going to get several eager beavers who are going to show up and tell you the 500 hundred ways why this thing will flop and the treo will triumph. i'm not that loyal, having never owned a treo smartphone. several of the forthcoming designs i've seen look pretty good, as does this one. assuming they get the memory right, and the interface and build quality are seamless, i agree with you - this could change things. i like the palm os - palm pda's are all i've used since my first pda. however, i'll use whatever gets the job done with the least amount of fuss. i'm watching the market closely. at the prices the companies are charging for these things, i want one that works out of the box with no issues. hopefully my vienne channels purchased 650 will do that once it arrives - but if the memory turns out to be a problem for me, and palm doesn't offer an updated model soon with more robust memory, i'll likely jump ship for anything that comes close to its size and features.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    For those of you who are CDMA users (Sprint, Verizon) and who don't start vomiting at the thought of using a Microsoft-based PDA

Except for a VGA screen, this is an almost perfect device featurewise. WiFi, Bluetooth, EV-DO, sliding keyboard, 1.3MP camera and Treo-sized. The only question is memory. 64MB minimum would be acceptable, but 128MB would be sweet. I'm a Pocket PC guy, but I also use a Treo 650 because it's just a better phone than any of the Pocket PC Phone offerings IMO. This device could change things
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I have doubts about any device that has a sliding keyboard. People have been reporting problems with the keyboard on the 6601 getting loose and not locking into place. Any moving part (remember the flip on the Treo 300?) is prone to failure with repeated use.
    Also, I am a diehard Palm OS fan. Any Windows-based OS is sure to have bloat and bugs. Not to say that Palm OS is perfect, but Win-based OS's just have more problems.
    Zane
  4.    #4  
    I agree, I am more about the hardware than the software. While I lean towards PocketPC, I would still be quite satisfied if the perfect Palm phone came out.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    I have doubts about any device that has a sliding keyboard. People have been reporting problems with the keyboard on the 6601 getting loose and not locking into place. Any moving part (remember the flip on the Treo 300?) is prone to failure with repeated use.
    Also, I am a diehard Palm OS fan. Any Windows-based OS is sure to have bloat and bugs. Not to say that Palm OS is perfect, but Win-based OS's just have more problems.
    Zane
    Yeah, Palm's bloat and bugs won't come until Palm v6 when they go to multitasking While PalmOne loves to make fun of Wndows CE as bloated and complicated, they sure are trying hard to make PalmOS like WinCE.

I have mixed feelings about the keyboard. I too have heard about the sliding problems. Is it just the 6600 or a flaw of the feature in general? Can't say for sure. But on the other hand, keeping a keyboard you don't need most of the time tucked away seems like a good idea.
    oh aye...another smartphone from Samsung that will never see the light of day...somebody on another thread had a great phrase for it...vapour ware
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex
    oh aye...another smartphone from Samsung that will never see the light of day...somebody on another thread had a great phrase for it...vapour ware
    Again, the prototype "uberphone" from Samsung (swansong?). This thing looks incredible! Just for the heck of it included a LINK to some pics of it:

"Documents made public today on the FCC web site show that Samsung's upcoming SCH-i730 PDA phone will include both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, in addition to CDMA EV-DO high-speed data. The i730, first revealed six weeks ago, is a CDMA Windows-Mobile Pocket PC device with a sliding QWERTY keyboard design. Samsung has publicly shown a version with a 1.3 megapixel camera, while FCC documents also show a camera-less version. Other specs include Windows Mobile 2003 2nd Edition, a 65,000-color QVGA display, stereo speakers, and an SD I/O card slot."
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    After following the i500 and i550 debacle, I guess we can expect this puppy out first quarter 2006
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I am a palm fan, but the ppc I am most anxious about is the Benq P50 if and when it is ever released I might take a hard look at it.

Same size as a treo, better phone, and wifi tempting:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/BenQ_Showing_Off_P50
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Both TechTV and PC Magazine predicted that in the next year or two we will see a FLOOD of smartphones from every company. For those of you waiting for the next treo, I cant wait to see your excuses when there's something bigger and better coming out almost monthly.

Our smartphone world is about to get really really cool. I just hope I have the cash to keep up phone for phone!
    Gregg G. - New Orleans, LA
    Treo 700p on Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck

Ack! What's the length of that thing with the keyboard extended? Like 12 inches? Yikes! I would hold it up to start typing and "poke my eye out". That is one scary looking PDA.

fyi, I'm not married to Palm, but the thing has to be practical. What's the purpose if, in order to use it, it has to be as large as a house?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    This is very much like the Motorola MPX. It looked so interesting when the pictures first "leaked" almost a year ago, and now it is just another PPC phone with 32 mb RAM. Did I forget to mention that you still can't buy the phone other than "engineering samples"?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    After following the i500 and i550 debacle, I guess we can expect this puppy out first quarter 2006
    I was reading this thread wondering how long it was going to take for someone to bring this up.

Delay after delay for Samsung. I think that 1stQ 06 is actually a pretty good guess at when we will see the i730.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by murrayalex

actually this is a followup of Samsung i700
    Zane
    This phone looks very interesting... I would love to see someone give an honest side by side review of that, the PPC-6600, and the Treo 650....boy would that spark a lively thread!

With any phone there is a law of averages concerning hardware problems....heck I wonder if we did a poll on how many Treo 600 users had to have their phone replaced at least once (if not 6 times) that the VAST majority would answer yes ...

...Anyway the point is yes there have been problems reported but they are by far the minority of the users. Most of the 660x/SX66/VZ6600 users say it is solid and well built. Remember this is NOT a new phone, as the PDA2K has been out for around a year now....this is just new to the USA. It has already proved the test of time very well, IMHO.

I hear Palm users say all the time that PPC is bloated, slow, hard to navigate, etc.... I am not loyal to any OS. If it does what I need the best then it is the one for me at that time. But I can tell you that the 2nd Edition on the PPC-6601 is VERY fast and easy to nav...even one handed....even without a stylus. In fact I can find and launch programs faster on my PPC-6601 than I could on my Treo 600 that I loved dearly for 10 months.

I agree this is the year that will be marked at the time that Smartphones reach mainstream, both with innovation, selection, power, easy of use, etc.. with just about every company out there. This might be why P1 has been reporting to investigate using PPC OS. I just share this not to defend one side or put down the other...but that Palm had better start working fast and hard because it is starting to look like they are playing catch up instead of catch me if you can.

If the Treo 7xx can match the like of the XDA IV, then I will be very tempting to come back over to the other side of the fence...but if not...
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/26/2004 at 08:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I agree this is the year that will be marked at the time that Smartphones reach mainstream, both with innovation, selection, power, easy of use, etc.. with just about every company out there.
    I think ease of use question is purely software issue. Once smartphone reaches critial mass, thee will be more than enough fancy screen do-that for dialing and searching address. (just look at how many weird and utterly bizarre PPC today's plug in)

top two non technical issues that smartphone has to answer before becoming mainstream:
    1. price. (let's face it. it's expensive. Nobody but hard core user will pay $5-600 for a phone gadget. It has to comedown to $200-ish)

2. these devices are ugly. They all look too geeky, yes even treo. The mini seems to be the first serious attempt to actually make a smartphone somewhat presentable as acessory instead of utilitarian digital tool.

If the Treo 7xx can match the like of the XDA IV, then I will be very tempting to come back over to the other side of the fence...but if not...
    I wonder what XDA IV will look like. hopefully 2005 will be a fun year for high end smartphones. I want to see all jazzy tech and form factor.
    [QUOTE=DaleReeck]For those of you who are CDMA users (Sprint, Verizon) and who don't start vomiting at the thought of using a Microsoft-based PDA
    /QUOTE]

Puke...
    I have detailed files.
    This could be the closest thing to perfection, assuming Samsung releases it before 2015.
    That Samsung i730 looks like a winning design! I have owned my 600 for a year now, and wanted to upgrade until I heard of this! I am quite partial to the Palm OS due to the library (quite like the PS2 vs. Xbox) of available programs, but with double the memory and the sleek sliding design cant be ignored! Especially when it is at the same size as the 650. My roommate has the i500, and even though it is less-capable than the 600, it works more like a phone than the 600. If the i730 comes out for Sprint, it would be hard to ignore if similiar in price!
    I agree.

Movable parts break over time.
    The Sidekick is a perfect example.
    Also,
    The Sharp Zaurus is another example even though its not a phone.
    "sometimes i cut myself to relieve the pain. tehehe." --Toot Braunstein-->drawn together
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast