1.    #1  
    This looks like a nice device - Quad-band phone, Wifi, BT (1.2?) and 1.3 MP camera, only $450. The form factor isn't too shabby, either. Not as pretty as a Treo, but getting closer. Dimensions are very close to the Treo (1 mm wider, 7 mm taller but 3 mm thinner).

At least one vender is taking pre-orders now:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=112410
    Class 10 GPRS, wonder if it supports EDGE.
    Quote Originally Posted by onree
    Class 10 GPRS, wonder if it supports EDGE.
    If it does support EDGE then the P50 is my new phone! (I'm sick of waiting for the GSM Treo650 and it looks like the P50 will be out as early as end of January.)

However based on what I read at HoFo no EDGE for this puppy. Even if it doesn't support EDGE I may get it instead. I was sooooo set on the 650 but P1 is taking too long to release the 650 and I'm sick of waiting. Besides I'll trade EDGE for Wifi and a 1.3megapixel camera WITH a flash and 128mb RAM and built in Java Midlet support! (I'm a Java developer so this is important to me although I realize most of you don't give a crap about Java.) As for PocketPC OS versus Palm OS, well I have a PocketPC device right now and while not perfect it's perfectly okay, has tons of software, especially great games and multimedia apps, and it'll save me buying a bunch of new software that I'll need for the PalmOS.

That's it I've just talked myself into the P50. My only hesitations are quality. Anyone know anything about the track record of Benq products and support, and the inherant problems that go with owning a more marginal device. (Does Vaja make one of they're beautiful case for the P50? Will I suffer grief from my provider when I has issues and they say "we've never heard of that phone and don't support it so screw off!")
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Even if it doesn't support EDGE I may get it instead. I was sooooo set on the 650 but P1 is taking too long to release the 650 and I'm sick of waiting.

The wait for the P50 has been far longer than for the treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    The wait for the P50 has been far longer than for the treo 650.
    Okay, but my personal wait, desire, anticipation, has all been about the 650 so from my subjective perspective it's the wait for the 650 that has gotten annoying. Plus, while I'm happy for everyone using Sprint, the fact that they have the 650 and I don't is like salt in my wounds.

Actually it looks like it may be a photo finish as to which phone could be in my hands sooner, the 650 or the P50. I'll have to do more research on the P50. With the 650 I generally know all the issues, most of which I expect to be fixed and I can otherwise live with, but the P50 is a big fat question mark. Everything looks good on paper (except the MPX - 32mb please) but we all know that good looking specs don't always translate into a well-made, reliable, usable device so it would be very foolish to jump at the P50 before others have them in their hands and I can read all the complaints.

Still I like the fact that the P50 has Wifi (although it's a huge deal for me,) and I like the fact that it's 1.3mp camera with a Flash (P1 did you even think of putting in a flash as the low light solution?) and I like the fact that it has plenty of memory and built-in Java and almost the same form-factor as the Treo. If P1 had release the GSM at the same time as the CDMA I'd own already, but they didn't and that extra time I've spent shopping may have just cost them a sale, not that they care.
    It will be arriving next month but for $800.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000173026201/
    trying not to troll, but just wondering why one would expect BenQ to deliver, considering the P50 is

1. almost a year late to market (and that's not even with carrier approval, is it?)
    2. at $800, priced almost double the earlier reported price ($450), and $200 more than the undiscounted Treo 650
    3. from a Taiwanese OEM with no track record in the palmtop market

with all the vapor circulating around this product, if it is at all competitive with the Treo, i'll be astonished. then again, maybe they held it back to finish squashing useability bugs... does anyone except apple do that? ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by matsby
    then again, maybe they held it back to finish squashing useability bugs... does anyone except apple do that? ;-)
    Apple is the KING of useability. If they come out with a phone it'll be a cool, intuitive, easy-to-use phone. However I doubt Apple will come back to the PDA market anytime. The bet the company on the Newton and almost ended up in utter ruins. Thankfully Jobs came back and saved them. They're not going down that road again. If Apple does a phone it'll be a music-player phone. Simple and easy.

As for BenQ and the P50, you might be right, but if it does come out finally, and it is everything the spec sheet promises and it's NOT $800 (until I see it priced in a store I don't know what it costs) then I might seriously consider it over the 650, something that would never have happened if P1 didn't keep me waiting so long for GSM. (Wow that's a lot of if's.)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The P50 is GPRS only. That's what happens when you take a year to get your product on the market -- it's already obsolete!