Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I just got my SX-66 this afternoon....what a piece of work too!!

I got the WiFi working right away, no problems there. I loaded the Sync program and synched it up to my Outlook on my laptop...smooth as silk. Downloaded Acrobat Reader for Pocket PC, no problems there either.

The phone takes a little getting use to...so many option but it works well. I had a concern about the volume of the speakerphone but it seems plenty loud enough. The speaker is a little "tiney" but you can hear it pretty good.

One thing I want to find out, how can I change the orientation on the display from portrait to landscape and back again while in an application. Going to the Settings.....Display is a pain. Hobbes, any advice you can give me on that?

As I get further along on my "journey to enlightenment" on my SX-66 I'll post some more.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    One thing I want to find out, how can I change the orientation on the display from portrait to landscape and back again while in an application. Going to the Settings.....Display is a pain. Hobbes, any advice you can give me on that?
    you can reassign one of the button to screen rotation.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    click settings -> buttons -> and then select the button you eant to reassign it to. i have chosen the the record button for remapping the display...since its near windows media player button. download that betaplayer and the sample movies and be amazed!
    Take advantage of remapping the buttons to suit your needs and this becomes a nice one handed device.

I mapped my record button for Voice Commands to either launch programs, look up contacts, or make a call....all with a single click and telling the phone what to do.

I then mapped my Media Player button to toggle between landscape and portrait.

I access contacts, email, browser, calendar, and main menu enough that I left those buttons alone....but for example if you don't use the calendar much and you have a GPS that you use a lot...you get the picture.
    My SX66 was delivered yesterday...and I am on the road for two more days....grrrrrr.

I never did believe in the saying that all good things came to those who waited....I want it now!
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Wow, what a fast response...thanks to all. I did remap the Media button to rotate the screen and it works just fine. Now, where can I get this program that allows me to have voice command.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    Google MS Voice Command. $40 from their web site. Well worth the costs.

Guys thanks for the advice. I will be scarce until 12/31 or so. Travelling for the hoilidays.

Will be a VZN customer when I next appear.

Happy Holidays and safe travels to all.

Bob Duckworth
    Hi All,

Well I got my SX66. Played with it for a few days and.....I am sending back.

It IS a very cool device. I love all of the stuff it does, Media Player, seamless integration with my laptop and Outlook, WiFi, etc. But........

It's slow when it comes to getting my email, it missed a number of calls, the call quality it just not as good as the Treo, (and the Treo ain't no star in that regard anyway)....but the killer was the size.

It is JUST slightly Physically bigger then the Treo when you hold them side by side. But the "apparent" size is much larger. It Looks much bigger then the Treo. It is absolutly cool and if it was just a tad smaller I would fall in love with it. As it is it's just over the edge for what I comfortable carrying around and using as a phone.

Hobbes, thanks for all your tips and stuff and I hope you don't veiw me as a traitor..lol
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver

Hobbes, thanks for all your tips and stuff and I hope you don't veiw me as a traitor..lol
    Nothing of the sort. If I have said nothing else, it's that each phone has a home and is not for everyone. Sometimes there is not that "perfect fit" but you will know it when you see it.

I don't have any of the problems....and I have had several of these phones already. I have not heard of any those problems on any of the board I frequent as well. The sound quality really is good and my download speed is, no joke, 20 times plus faster than my Treo 600 ever was. (see here for download test: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...06&postcount=7 ) I would consider returning it for a replacement before you decide.

My best advice is to try it out as long as you can during your "trial period" with whoever you bought through...it is usually 14 or 30 days. And here is the process that I do when in your spot....
    • List what do I like about the 6601 (i.e. 128mb mem, large screen, landscape, Wifi support, non crippled BT, fast processor, etc.)?
    • Can the other phone Im looking at do what I like about the 660x, i.e. can it go landscape to help with spreadsheets and web browsing?
    • Do the same first two steps but reverse the phones.
    • What the problems with the phone I am looking at (i.e. 650 can only use 10 mb at a time, no Wifi, no outgoing calls while in roam, limited BT)? Are those problems worse or better than the issues with the 660x? Are they hardware issues or software? Sofware issues are more opt to be fiexed in a shorter time with update while hardware may be addressed only in the next release. All the issues so far, minus personal preference such as the size, has been software based.
    • And which problems from each phone can you live with until then?
    So the answer comes down to what you want to do, how you want to use it, and your personal likes, There are several other options out there, each with their pros and cons. It is just a matter of finding which cons dont affect you the most while getting all the pros that you need.

I am not trying to sway you either way as everyones needs and personal preferences are unique, just trying to help you find the right fit for you. This just probably made your decision harder, not easier....but it is how I would (and do) decide myself.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    remember,
    the sx66 is gsm so it will be slow getting email or browsing unless u wifi..
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    It is JUST slightly Physically bigger then the Treo when you hold them side by side. But the "apparent" size is much larger. It Looks much bigger then the Treo. It is absolutly cool and if it was just a tad smaller I would fall in love with it. As it is it's just over the edge for what I comfortable carrying around and using as a phone.
    Well until the i730 or P50 comes out, this is the smallest phone. (of course there is the MPX, but that model has too little memory)

http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a...reviews&id=541

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    This is a phone for people who need a PDA that also makes phone calls. It is definitely a more full featured, and better, PDA than the Treo. Yes, better than the 650 too! However, I don't think that it is as good of a phone as the Treo, nor do I feel that it balances the two as well as does the Treo.

I am probably going to leave T-Mobile and get Cingular in the next month or two (waiting for my contract to end) and that is one phone that is at the top of my list. My Treo 600 is unlocked so I'll be able to use it, and my 650 will be coming from ViennaChannels by that time, so I'll finally get to go back to MS Windows Mobile (at least part-time) when I switch. I like it so much more than Palm, but the Treo itself makes it worth staying for now. If that I-Mate Jam thatSuskind posted comes at a reasonable price though, I'd buy it first though...how cool is that?!