Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Okay, Hobbes. You're forcing TC to become a PPC forum, and that's cool with me

But I wanna know where I can get a "Treo Killer" cheap. It can be an Audiovox PPC6601 or similar. The cheapest I've seen is $400 on eBay. I don't trust eBay garage sales.

Sprint's web site does not list the PPC 6601 in their phone/PDA lineup
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    Okay, Hobbes. You're forcing TC to become a PPC forum, and that's cool with me

But I wanna know where I can get a "Treo Killer" cheap. It can be an Audiovox PPC6601 or similar. The cheapest I've seen is $400 on eBay. I don't trust eBay garage sales.

Sprint's web site does not list the PPC 6601 in their phone/PDA lineup
    Just doing my job......spreading the good word all over the web! Being there when needed during the life and death decision between the inflated issue of the Beep of Death of the 660x or the soon to be resolved memory issues of the 650!!!!

As for discounted 660x phones....eBay is always an option. There are some established dealers that have a long history with positive return policies...just check it out and email if you have any questions at all.

VZ offers it via retail and I am not sure what it is, but I think they offer a discount of something around $200 with a signed contract.

At the moment Sprint is only offering it through business sales. Have not heard word yet on the retail availability of the 6600. But the 6600 is still on track to be released on Jan 25th.

I hope this helps, which I am sure it didn't.
    VZW has no PPC6601 for consumers. You're probably thinking of the Samsung i700 $599.00 for i year and $649.99 for a 2-yr contract
    errr $549.99 for 2-yr contract
    VZW has no PPC6601 for consumers. You're probably thinking of the Samsung i700 $599.00 for i year and $649.99 for a 2-yr contract
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1581

dont need a business account either. just call them up.
  6.    #26  
    Yup, actually they do. They call it VZ6600

And Cingular calls theirs SX66.

All basically the same phone just branded for different carriers, except the SX66 is GSM with Wifi built in.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1581

dont need a business account either. just call them up.
    Thanks, guys.

Here's what the vzw link gives you:

"The selection you made is unavailable at this time
    Browse one of the options below to choose a different plan or phone, or call (800) 2-JOIN-IN for assistance."

Cingular's business site did not list an SX66. I will call them to get a price if it's available as I prefer the the GSM model with the WiFi
    I've been reading online reviews. The SX66 aka ppc6601 receives many negative reviews. Aside from the usual user gripes about speakerphone and bluetooth 1.0 not working with bt headsets, the serious issue is that it does not (will not) support EdGE. That's a dead end for me.

Thanks. I'll wait for the next GSM "treo killer."
  9.    #29  
    Actually most reviews I have read as a whole on the 660x series of phones have been very positive. As with any phone there are issues, but most are reviews I have found are either positive or very ignorant (like the one where the reviewer actually seriously suggested that HTC needed to put an arrow on the phone to remind himself which way to slide the keyboard so he didn't take the battery off....I still LOL over that one......or the other one where the guy starts out by basically saying "I have always hated PPC phones, their form factors, the OS, and the looks of them....but I am going to objective review of the PPC-6601....." I will have to did up those links again as they are good for laugh especially when you think these are self claimed professional reviewers.)

Here are two reviews I did of the phone:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown

PDAphoneHome and SprintUsers.com are both great sites (and where a lot of us former Treo owners hang out) to get some good feedback from a lot current users of both phones, many of which have owned both the 650 and 660x style of phone.

Now as for Edge....that is a totally different story. CDMA models have EVDO. VZ has it available right now and Sprint is set to roll theirs out the 1st and 2nd quarter of this year. EVDO blows Edge out of the water as far as speed goes. But if EVDO is not available in your area and Edge is, again that is a different story yet again and the Treo would certainly probably prove to be your best option.

Again the simple answer is what every phone best suites your needs, then that is the best phone for you....and you should be very happy with it.
    I've been reading online reviews.
    Links? I based my purchase on the overwhelmingly positive reviews.
    Aside from the usual user gripes about speakerphone and bluetooth 1.0 not working with bt headsets, the serious issue is that it does not (will not) support EdGE. That's a dead end for me.
    Supporting EV-DO was what made the sale for me. 300-500Kbps is nice. What's EdGE's throughput?
    Hobbes, I agree that many reviewers are misinformed, to put it mildly. For example, PC magazine's Sasha Segan said the PPC6601 lacked Wi-Fi

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1747372,00.asp

Kupe, Edge throughput is 200kbs+, so if the throughput you posted is correct then, I'm more than happyl. I'll hafta see about EVDO in my area. If it's rolled out then I maybe in good shape.

Negative reviews? http://reviews.cnet.com/Siemens_SX66...2.html?tag=tab

I naturally read the "downside" first to see if I wanna continue with the review.

"Downside: As with most Pocket PC phones, the SX66 resembles a PDA first and foremost, and at a bulky 2.8 by 4.9 by 0.7 inches and 7.4 ounces, the Siemens may have problems finding people who are willing to use it as the primary cell phone. We've also heard complaints from some Audiovox PPC6601 users that the keyboard is too cramped, and since the two devices are almost identical, this could be an issue with the SX66. We also were disappointed that the device will not support the higher-speed EDGE network."

User complaints included Bluetooth 1.0. T650 has 1.1, and I am searching for 1.2 to get rid of interference by cordless phones and computers.
  12.    #32  
    You are right....I don't mind an honest bad review....but I do get very frustrated at ones due to lack of experience with the phone, leaving out vital bits of info too strengthen an objection, ignorance, and obvious loyality to another OS or series of phones. (again I am talking about proffesional reviews, not user submitted ones).

The review you linked to at PC mag is overall a positive one, considering PC Mag's often times tear apart approach (unless they are a major advertiser and I have noticed they are more tolerant in the review). The points they bring up against the phone are valid and can be turn offs for some users, and maybe you too, so it is good to be aware of them before you buy. They did give it 4 out of 5 stars both from the magazine and from users.

The review from Cnet was done on pure hear say...they haven't even see a single phone yet, let alone have a chance to play with it:
    Still, weíre anxious to get our hands on the SX66 to make our own judgment, so check back soon for a full review.
    They bring up valid points, but I think most users who own a 660x series phone would probably disagree with the keyboard comment. Most say it gets some getting used to but is fine after that.

Believe me I am not trying to convert you either way, I am just committing on the reviews. Again, most of their objections are valid ones. So if you cannot live with them, the I would suggest that you do consider the 650, as long it's issues or challenges are easier to live with. Again, try them both out. There is no doubt that after a week of using both you will know which one is right for you and your needs.

Here are the two obvious idiotic reviews I was referring to above, with some comments I posted on another forum when asked what I thought about these reviews:

This is the one where the guy requested arrows to be put on the phone to help him remember how to slide the keyboard open instead of popping the battery out!!!! I think that says it all.

http://www.pdantic.com/reviews/ppc6601.htm

Some of the observations were good, but obviously and self admitted that they were biased. I would question any review if his opening statement is
    If youíve read PDAntic.com reviews and articles in the past, youíll know Iím not a huge fan of the Pocket PC Phone design. If you need to actually pick up the phone and talk into the handset, itís like holding a plastic box up to your face.

He states throughout the whole thing that he likes real buttons on a keyboard and ignores the layout design, which is nicely laid out and shaped.

He is also not very informed about the product he is reviewing as he stated:
    If Audiovox could add WiFi support to this unit to make it easier for users to connect to business or personal hotspots, that would go a long way towards making this device more usable.

And we all know that the 660x does support Wifi...and that the GSM model has it built right in...while the Treo 650 does not and does not even support an addon card....but he failed to mention this vital point to his arguement. During his whole interview he is comparing how bad the 6601 is to the 650 and then he offers a false con without offering it is a same con to the 650 he was praising so highly. This same author did mention that the 650 lacked wifi support in his 650 review the month before so he knew the fact, but chose not to include it.....not very professional when your profession is technical reviews.

I would also question any person recommending to use MS Smartphone OS over PPC while implying that this watered down limited OS is better and more productive than Mobile Edition:

In my opinion, users of Windows Mobile devices should consider another model of Pocket PC Phone over the Audiovox PPC-6601, or look into Windows Mobile Smartphone devices instead.

He obviously has a self admitted prejudice against any Pocket PC device.

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    [color=black] Again, try them both out. There is no doubt that after a week of using both you will know which one is right for you and your needs.
    That's what I did. It was a very tough decision. The Treo 650 has a great form factor and the screen is very nice, but in the end I wanted the added power/flexibility I get from the larger XV6600.
  14.    #34  
    I just added the following link to the orginal post above:

• Proporta offers some really good accessories...one of the nicest and most protective cases I have seen, Solar power for your 660x, security system for your phone so no one can walk off with it, laser keyboard, plus lots more......
      http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05...e=cat&t_id=238
    In fact I just order their case from them.
  15.    #35  
    Just added the following to the first post list:

Here is one with just the basics....but at really good prices:
    http://www.pdaphone.com/shop/index....&id=49&subid=42
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Link doesn't work for me, Hobbesisreal.
    me neither.
  18.    #38  
    Sorry it took so long to reply back...been on vacation....try this one:

http://www.pdaphone.com/shop/index.p...id=49&subid=42
  19.    #39  
    I have received some questions about the Thinkoutside Keyboard not working with the new PPC-6600 update. Here is the problem I posted on anothe forum:

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have received several PMs concerning the new Think Outside Keyboard error. When you try to set it up you get the following error: "Current version of the keyboard/mouse driver supports the following bluetooth staks(system software components): Widcomm BTW-CE 1.4 to 1.5X microsoft)

This was actually true on the 6601 and prior to the last update for the 6600. Right now I have the same problem. Here are a couple things to try that have helped others:

1) Install it on in memory and on SD card

2) The mouse, using the latest driver works great...go figure! Try installing the mouse, whether you actually have one or not. For some reason the keyboard sometimes works after doing this.

3) Try installing the order version of the driver on your CD instead of the newer one on the website. Make sure your uninstall the newer version first.

These three options have help some and not a difference for others. Thinkoutside has not responded to my emails trying to address this situation. They have not replied to the thread dealing with this situation on their own forum.

( http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=384 )

With that said apparently they responded to one user's email with a version that worked. I am now trying to track it down for sure and then I will post it if I find it and it works.

They have a great product with horrible customer support and service!

I hope this helps.
    Here is the solution:

Originally posted by HobbesIsReal
    Well, that did not take very long. They have a new 4.2 version out now that worked great.

Here is the link for the new updated driver:

http://www.thinkoutside.com/drivers....52&ModelID=227

I hope this helps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12