1.    #1  
    Well I have been looking at the new releases in the Smart phone market for a while now. Comparing apples with apples seems to be a bit of a challenge, but I think the SX66, Nokia 9500, Sony P910, and Tre0 650 represent the "cream de la cream".

It seems to be difficult task choosing. Which OS? Which phone? Given that I need this for business travel / showing off... I would appreciate all and any feedback on any one of the above items!
    When I hear someone say "business travel / showing off..." I can instantly releate. IMHO there is no comparison from a presentation point of view; the Harrier/Audiovox/XV6600/SX66 (all the same device) wins hands down. The major factors I consider to be invaluable are:

1) Powerpoint integration. There is still not a good solution for the Palm devices. However, on the Windows PPC platform, you get it for free

2) GoToMyPC. It runs without a hitch on my PPC. I know there are other options when it comes to remote desktop control, but as a long time user of all of them, I can safely say there is no comparison; GoToMyPC simply dominates in terms of features.

3) Screen size. When trying to show a remote desktop on the PPC, the larger screen really comes in handy.

These are three items I think aren't often mentioned here. You're going to get tons and tons of other info/advice. But, for those of us that need a presentation machine, the SX66 is the ticket.
    First of all, as this is your first post to the TC forum....WELCOME to our humble home!

I too, can relate...sometimes more than I care to admit...about Business Needs / Showoff value. I am on the road a lot and have used both the Treo 600 and PPC-6601. My personal verdict is the PPC-6601. A recent experience with a fellow manager of mine who has the Treo 650 really settled my mind on the decision I made. You can read about it here: Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown

Here some other great threads to read through that might give you a good idea of what the phones can offer you vs. what you need them for or plan to do with them (though most of them focus on the comparison of the Treo 600/650 vs the PPC-660x/VX6000/SX66/PDA2K):

Wanting to go from PPC-6601 back to Treo?
    Is the 650 better than the SX66?
    Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    What can a PPC6601 do that my treo 600 Can't?
    BenQ P50 vs. T650
    GOT IT!! ppc6601
    pda2k VS. Treo600 (a Treo PowerUsers Review)

I hope this helps!
    Treo 600, had it for a year and loved it
    Treo 650, had it for a couple of days and wanted my 600 back
    SX66, Wondered how I ever got along with the Treo.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I don't have either yet, But you will be hard pressed to find a bad word on the 6600. There may be some little glitches but all in all the owners LOVE the thing.
    It comes down to personal preference. If you hold the 66 or 650 in your hand I think you will go with the small size of the treo650, But if you want to push the convergence technology the 66 is the way to go.
    More phone – Treo
    More pda – 6600
    You can’t lose either way.
    OK, here is a related question... I will write off the 650 for now; there is no OFFICIAL sound or memory fix forthcoming, and PalmOne STILL hasn't made any official statement about the sound problems. I have finally exiled myself from the 650 board since everyone there is so gung ho about the 650 and the user-fixes that they don't seem to care what PalmOne does. Oh well.

I see no way to trade my old 600 for a PPC 6601 with Sprint; even my business rep can't come up with a plan there. My termination fee with Sprint would be $150. SO....... I have three options to get into the PDA2K. I could stay with Sprint. Their PPC 6601 has no WiFi (although I realize this can be added), and no EV-DO in the near term. Verizon is rolling out Ev-DO, and their version should be able to use it. Again no WiFi, but it is less necessary with EV-DO, yes? Finally there is the Siemens SX-66 with Cingular. Here we have WiFi, and I wouldn't mind having GSM for my rare travels. BUT I understand that GRPS is slower, and the SX-66 is apparently NOT EDGE-enabled.

Any suggestions, guys?
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    The wifi issue is not with the carriers it is with HTC which makes all the phones for the carriers. They have never made a CDMA phone with Wifi.

Sprint has already started rolling out their EVDO network in test areas and I believe are still on track for the roll out starting just after the first of the year. So yes....EVDO will wipe out the need for Wifi...as long as you have a cell signal and are in a EVDO covered area. If not, then the wifi will become very handy again.

To the best of my knowledge correct on Cing...slower and no EVDO.... EVDO is only on CDMA networks....with EVDV (data with voice) to follow as soon as 2006-2008
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/21/2004 at 01:54 PM.
    Indeed.. I hadn't realized that Sprint was on track with EV-DO, although they appear to be lagging behind Verizon. See this Sprint press release...

I don't think either one will make wiring up my hometown a priority anytime soon.

It would, of course, be advantageous to stay with Sprint. Has anyone been able to compare surfing speeds of the "base" Sprint and Cingular GRPS side by side? I guess that is what I will have available for the time being. At least the CDMA version (6601) has EV-DO capability, while the GSM version (SX-66) cannot be upgraded to EDGE. Guess that all really answers my question, doesn't it?

Many thanks...
    http://www.doctordalai.com
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Dalai Lama, I wouldn't get either the PPC-6601 or the SX-66. The reason is, you will be lucky to last the day before running out of battery. The i-mate Jam has the Bulverde CPU, and it seems to be a huge improvement in battery life (days instead of hours). If you want a Pocket PC phone with EVDO support, I recommend waiting until the next version from HTC hits the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Dalai Lama, I wouldn't get either the PPC-6601 or the SX-66. The reason is, you will be lucky to last the day before running out of battery. The i-mate Jam has the Bulverde CPU, and it seems to be a huge improvement in battery life (days instead of hours). If you want a Pocket PC phone with EVDO support, I recommend waiting until the next version from HTC hits the market.
    In case you haven't notice all three models uses the exact same generation of Xscale.

SX66 in fact has longer battery life since it has much bigger battery (provided one doens't blast the WiFi/playing heavy multimedia on full brightness.. the usual caveat...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    I would have to beg to differ..not about comparing to the iJam because I don't have a clue about that, but with the battery life of the 660x.

I have used my 6601 extensively on the road for nearly 2 months now. Over all the battery is pretty good....at the very least as advertised and expected. At the best surprising me how long it is going. It all depends on what Im doing the most at the moment. Obviously if I am using BT, vision, and Wifi then it goes faster. But for normal vision email checks, phone calls, watching a movie on the plane, playing a couple games, etc... I can get through a normal business day just fine and sometimes often well into the night.

Since I had to charge my treo every night, this is just on par with it....or even better considering I am obviously using BT and Wifi more with this phone than with the 600.

I have the AA battery re-charger, a travel plug, car adapter, and trying to order a spare battery. All the same tools I absolutely needed with my 600 to ensure I wouldn't be dead towards the end of a high volume day.

As with any phone, all the normal tricks like limiting vision syncs, dimming the screen, etc... can often go a long way to give that extra time you need at the end of a long day.

As for waiting for the next generation...I agree that according to all rumors it is going to several VERY....VERY nice improvements. But here in the US, optimistically we won't be looking at that until probably this time next year at the earliest....at least IMHO.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/21/2004 at 03:29 PM.
    How about the Blackberry 7290? I've had one on trial for a week now and I'm loving it. For what it was designed to do, it does extremely well

Phone is very good (Cingular GSM). Signal capture is excellent. Voice quality is great.
    Screen is readable indoors and out
    Email is incredible using the desktop redirector for Exchange, but I DO miss Chatter. I'll be on our BES in a few weeks
    IMAP works very well.
    BT works flawlessly in my Acura integrated HF as well as a Parrot DriveBlue.
    Web browsing is tolerable, but this is at the bottom of my priority list.
    Build quality is great - solid as a rock.
    Keyboard is extremely fast.
    Scroll wheel navigation is very well implimented. I'm not missing the stylus as much as I thought I would.

What the BB is not:
    Music device
    Repository for large amounts of data
    A game platform

For a communications platform (voice and data) it is great in just about every respect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulattack
    Well I have been looking at the new releases in the Smart phone market for a while now. Comparing apples with apples seems to be a bit of a challenge, but I think the SX66, Nokia 9500, Sony P910, and Tre0 650 represent the "cream de la cream".

It seems to be difficult task choosing. Which OS? Which phone? Given that I need this for business travel / showing off... I would appreciate all and any feedback on any one of the above items!

Boy there's alot of PPC users hanginng out in this forum! Haven't you guys found another place to hang out yet?

Look, basically this is all subjective. In pure spec terms, the HTC Blue Angel/SX66 whatever is clearly superior. But better specs doesn't necessarily mean better device. My suggestion is you go checkout every device personally and then make a decision based which platform you prefer and what primary tasks you need and which device offers the best user experience for that task...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    1) Powerpoint integration. There is still not a good solution for the Palm devices. However, on the Windows PPC platform, you get it for free
    HUH? WHat are you talking about? DTG7 supports native Powerpoint files types as well as editing. And it is bundled FREE with the 650 fyi...

2) GoToMyPC. It runs without a hitch on my PPC. I know there are other options when it comes to remote desktop control, but as a long time user of all of them, I can safely say there is no comparison; GoToMyPC simply dominates in terms of features.
    Tons of options for palmos including microvnc (very fast), PalmVNC (free), MobileTS (RDS), Winhand and etc....

3) Screen size. When trying to show a remote desktop on the PPC, the larger screen really comes in handy.
    Yes, larger screen but lower overall resolution! However I agree the larger aspect ratio comes in handy for this task. But you have to consider overall form factor in your decision as well...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    The wifi issue is not with the carriers it is with HTC which makes all the phones for the carriers. They have never made a CDMA phone with Wifi.

Sprint has already started rolling out their EVDO network in test areas and I believe are still on track for the roll out starting just after the first of the year. So yes....EVDO will wipe out the need for Wifi...as long as you have a cell signal and are in a EVDO covered area. If not, then the wifi will become very handy again.

To the best of my knowledge correct on Cing...slower and no EVDO.... EVDO is only on CDMA networks....with EVDV (data with voice) to follow as soon as 2006-2008
    FYI, Samsung already released a 1xEvDo based Mits M400 in Korea some time ago....

Hi Gfunk, nice of you to drop by our neighborhood...we love TC so much we just can't bring ourselves to leave. Actually most of live a double life in the other 660x dedicated forums...but so many people are at the brink of their 650 vs 660x upgrade decision, or have just upgraded and making the transition from the 600/650 to the 660x...that we keep things pretty lively here.

HUH? WHat are you talking about? DTG7 supports native Powerpoint files types as well as editing. And it is bundled FREE with the 650 fyi...
    I agree, with the boat load of software that comes with the 660x I was truely surprised they did not include Pocket Powerpoint as well.

Tons of options for palmos including microvnc (very fast), PalmVNC (free), MobileTS (RDS), Winhand and etc....
    There are just as many for the PPC as well, with many of them free or for a one time low price for the software. I have been going through them this last month to see which one I like the most...I've tested around 4 or 5 of them so far and will post what I find when I decide which one works the best....or least work =).

Yes, larger screen but lower overall resolution! However I agree the larger aspect ratio comes in handy for this task. But you have to consider overall form factor in your decision as well...
    Well said. I am very hard pressed to see any resolution quality difference between the 650 and 660x, even in graphic detailed games like Links. But the screen size with landscape mode does obviously have its advantages...especially when view docs, spreadsheets, playing games, or browsing the web. With, as you point out, at the cost of a different form factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HTC are stuffing the i-jam/pda2k with freebies, including clearvue. so that's a wash. treo600 only come with viewer ver. 6.0. Treo 650 comes with 7.0 professional. (which is matched by iJam freebies)

the fact that pda2k can do screen rotation puts it a notch in front of treo600
    Last edited by suskind; 12/21/2004 at 08:30 PM.