Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted most of this on another thread several posts deep, but I wanted to share this unique experience that I had with a colleague of mine. Now please remember I loved my 600 and still like many aspects of the 650, ie the form factor, but due to the demands of my job chose the 6601 as I felt it suited my personal needs more.

I have a fellow manager with the 650 who always made a point to laugh at or put down my 6601 until he had to still carry his laptop around on two trips we took together this last month because of the limitations of the 650. I was able to leave my laptop at home each trip for the simple fact my phone has Wifi capabilities. He constantly pointed out how much bigger he felt the phone was over his 650 (though in reality was not a very big difference). But let's see....a couple mm bigger phone or a treo 650 with a laptop, bag, and all necessary accessories....which is more convenient? This point struck home when we were boarding the plane and he thought I left me laptop in the terminal, until I told him I left it in the office as I didn't need it because I had my 6601 with me.

Plus the speaker phone on my 6601 was far superior to the 650 so we had to use my phone for each of our conference calls. (am not not sure if this was the case with his 650 speaker phone or all 650 models.)

Plus, since we were in a Roaming Area, he did not have any internet access options on his 650 (roaming no Vision, no vision no internet, no internet no web or email access) so he constantly had to borrow mine with my Wifi card to check his stats and emails.

Plus since mine was the only one that could sync with the BT GPS that we borrowed from a friend (due to the 650 crippled BT) we had to us my 6601 for all the navigation in the rental car.

EDIT: PLUS I forgot to mention he couldn't even make out going calls while in Roaming, so he had to use mine several times to call Corp or his boss.

Plus due to limited memory I saw him uninstall two programs during the trips to add the another he needed.

It's funny that he has not said a single thing, positive or negative about my phone since those trips.....I think after all the guff he dished out prior to the trips putting down my decision to go with the 6601 over the 650 put him in a bad spot when he become so dependent on the 6601 when his 650 could not pull the job. Just a single example of some of the reasons I personally chose the 6601 over the 650.

I have always recognized that every phone has it's target market that fits perferctly for it's customers. I know a lot people who love the 650, and rightly so, as it fits their needs just perfectly. But I cant decide to laugh at or be concerned for those that are so close minded that they get so hooked on a single phone that they cannot recognize there really are other options out there that could possibly do a better job with what they want to do.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/19/2004 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I posted most of this on another thread several posts deep, but I wanted to share this unique experience that I had with a colleague of mine. Now please remember I loved my 600 and still like many aspects of the 650, ie the form factor, but due to the demands of my job chose the 6601 as I felt it suited my personal needs more.

I have a fellow manager with the 650 who always made a point to laugh at or put down my 6601 until he had to still carry his laptop around on two trips we took together this last month because of the limitations of the 650. I was able to leave my laptop at home each trip for the simple fact my phone has Wifi capabilities. He constantly pointed out how much bigger he felt the phone was over his 650 (though in reality was not a very big difference). But let's see....a couple mm bigger phone or a treo 650 with a laptop, bag, and all necessary accessories....which is more convenient? This point struck home when we were boarding the plane and he thought I left me laptop in the terminal, until I told him I left it in the office as I didn't need it because I had my 6601 with me.

Plus the speaker phone on my 6601 was far superior to the 650 so we had to use my phone for each of our conference calls. (am not not sure if this was the case with his 650 speaker phone or all 650 models.)

Plus, since we were in a Roaming Area, he did not have any internet access options on his 650 (roaming no Vision, no vision no internet, no internet no web or email access) so he constantly had to borrow mine with my Wifi card to check his stats and emails.

Plus since mine was the only one that could sync with the BT GPS that we borrowed from a friend (due to the 650 crippled BT) we had to us my 6601 for all the navigation in the rental car.

Plus due to limited memory I saw him uninstall two programs during the trips to add the another he needed.

It's funny that he has not said a single thing, positive or negative about my phone since those trips.....I think after all the guff he dished out prior to the trips putting down my decision to go with the 6601 over the 650 put him in a bad spot when he become so dependent on the 6601 when his 650 could not pull the job. Just a single example of some of the reasons I personally chose the 6601 over the 650.

I have always recognized that every phone has it's target market that fits perferctly for it's customers. I know a lot people who love the 650, and rightly so, as it fits their needs just perfectly. But I cant decide to laugh at or be concerned for those that are so close minded that they get so hooked on a single phone that they cannot recognize there really are other options out there that could possibly do a better job with what they want to do.

Great post!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I was able to leave my laptop at home each trip ...
    It's funny that you mention this. I have a laptop with a 17" display. I love it while I'm at the office, but I hate it when I'm lugging it through the airport -- big and heavy. I have taken two trips since getting my 6601 and I left the laptop at home on both. It has been GREAT! The only downside is that I'm using it so much that battery life is becoming an issue. I'm getting ready to purchase some accessory to solve that. I haven't decided whether to get an extra battery or to get another type of charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by WFTarHeel
    It's funny that you mention this. I have a laptop with a 17" display. I love it while I'm at the office, but I hate it when I'm lugging it through the airport -- big and heavy. I have taken two trips since getting my 6601 and I left the laptop at home on both. It has been GREAT! The only downside is that I'm using it so much that battery life is becoming an issue. I'm getting ready to purchase some accessory to solve that. I haven't decided whether to get an extra battery or to get another type of charger.
    one cheap and convinient way is to buy one of those AA battery extender. This can act like a one time charger while your device is sitting in the bag. Next time you take it out, it's charged.

of course getting extra battery is that much better.
    Thanks Hobbes. Nice Post. How is battery life holding up for you? I know you charge when out to lunch. How about when moving thru airports. Any problems?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Thanks Hobbes. Nice Post. How is battery life holding up for you? I know you charge when out to lunch. How about when moving thru airports. Any problems?

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Pretty good....at the very least as advertised and expected. At the best surprising me how long it is going. It all depends on what Im doing the most at the moment. Obviously if I am using BT, vision, and Wifi then it goes faster. But for normal vision email checks, phone calls, watching a movie on the plane, playing a couple games, etc... I can get through a normal business day just fine and often well into the night.

Since I had to charge my treo every night, this is just on par with it....or even better considering I am obviously using BT and Wifi more with this phone than with the 600.

I have the AA battery re-charger, a travel plug, car adapter, and trying to order a spare battery. All the same tools I absolutely needed with my 600 to ensure I wouldn't be dead towards the end of a high volume day.

As with any phone, all the normal tricks like limiting vision syncs, dimming the screen, etc... can often go a long way to give that extra time you need at the end of a long day.
    Good suggestion. I was checking that out, along with a couple of other things, at boxwave.com.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/bund...bundle_434.htm

They've also got the screen protectors that I'm using.
  8.    #8  
    Just a follow up on the original post of this thread.....

I was down at corp last week and could not escape the attention that the 6601 drew from the top corp ranks, to the IT guys, to my other fellow District Managers. Most of them have either a Blackberry / 600 / 650 / or a regular cell phone.

The first time I pulled out my 6601 to check and reply to an email, I didn't see my phone for nearly 70 minutes as it was passed from one person to the next.

Then when I pulled out my BT Keyboard and BT mouse for it, they were very impressed.

As a result three of them have now bought a 6601 and love it and many others took note of the phone for themselves or to share with their friends.

All of this with even a cracked screen! (my replacement 6600 should be shipped out on Jan 25th).

It was pretty cool!
    Heh - similar thing happened at my company Hobbes. After a few days at the client site giving XV6600 demos every couple of hours or so, I paid a visit to the company HQ and the owners interrupted our business meeting for about an hour with questions like, "OK, but can it do . . . " and for every question they asked, I showed then how it could do what they asked, plus one additional feature. They were blown away when they asked, "OK, can it do satellite radio?" and I showed them how it could stream music and talk radio.
    These posts seem fake (sorry if not).why didn't your boss just pull out his laptop for wifi rather than crawl to you?what are the odds of two 6601 lovers hitting the boards at the exact same time with no treo fan knocking your logic?I am suspicious.also,I have seen many threads on how great the 650 is with blue tooth GPS.how is it that your bosses 650 would not work?our shop has moved to 7100ts so I am no 650 protector but something is strange about this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    These posts seem fake (sorry if not).why didn't your boss just pull out his laptop for wifi rather than crawl to you?what are the odds of two 6601 lovers hitting the boards at the exact same time with no treo fan knocking your logic?I am suspicious.also,I have seen many threads on how great the 650 is with blue tooth GPS.how is it that your bosses 650 would not work?our shop has moved to 7100ts so I am no 650 protector but something is strange about this thread.
    Please! Hobbes isn't trying to sway any of you to the PPC devices. You are free to do whatever you wish with respect to choosing the device that you carry. Many of us post on a number of boards and read them all as we try to hone this device into a cutting edge tool for the road warrior.

I too think the "WOW!" factor of this device is pretty high. People see it and want to know what it is and what it can do. Its new and different. The T650 looks very much like the T600 until you light the screen. Then it will attract attention. I haven't seen the 7100ts, so I can't comment on its merits/drawbacks. Perhaps you can tell us about it?

I don't think anyone stated that his "boss crawled to him" .

It's O.K. not to like the PPC, but if you don't llike/believe the post/posters, why not just leave it alone. This is a good forum for info on "Other" devices, please let's keep the info flowing and leave the flaming to others on other forums.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    Easy solution to most of your problems, TREO 650 GSM.
    geez people.. this aint the palastinian/judean war here...or the jfk single bullet conspiriacy..
    just phones... we can love em.. but don't knock what u don't have or what someone else loves..
    didn't your mothers teach u better? I have a 650 that I like.. & always interested to hear about other technology.....
    hobbes & bob r doing better than most of the treo lovers on this thread.... they aren't trolling or flaming.
    my 2 cents
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Easy solution to most of your problems, TREO 650 GSM.
    Guys:

I though that there was a T650 forum up above. If we want info on it, we know where to find it.

Thanks,

Bob Duckworth
    I agree that we need to provide an open forum for all, and I'm as happy as anyone to read the experiences of others, but I <do> get a little bit of a sense that Hobbes and others are going a little further than just providing their thoughts. I get the sense that they're attempting to sway folks on these boards to their platform - not that there's anything wrong with that, but I do believe there's a little bit of that motivation going on. An example would be the person named Swap who got a 6601 based on Hobbes' postings. I could be completely off base here, but that's the impression I get. Again, this in an open forum for the most part, and folks can put in whatever they want, within reason, but it does seem that some of the recent threads in this section are intended to directly confront Treo users. That's completely OK, but I wonder if those types of posts wouldn't be better placed in other sites, like pocketpcthoughts or whatever they are called. After all, this is 'treocentral', not 'whymy6601issomuchbetterthanTreo-central'.
    Flame me. Just some musings here....
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    That's completely OK, but I wonder if those types of posts wouldn't be better placed in other sites, like pocketpcthoughts or whatever they are called. After all, this is 'treocentral', not 'whymy6601issomuchbetterthanTreo-central'.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoCentral as the Title of This Particular Forum
    Other Handhelds, Phones, and Smartphones
    I can't imagine a better forum for former Treo users to discuss new phones they're trying out. Non-threatening, totally vountary participation, completely on subject. Oh, and posted using my XV6600 with Stowaway Keyboard and Mouse at near DSL speeds using EV-DO.

Quote Originally Posted by camartin
    These posts seem fake (sorry if not).
    Apology accepted.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    geez people.. this aint the palastinian/judean war here...or the jfk single bullet conspiriacy..
    just phones... we can love em.. but don't knock what u don't have or what someone else loves..
    didn't your mothers teach u better? I have a 650 that I like.. & always interested to hear about other technology.....
    hobbes & bob r doing better than most of the treo lovers on this thread.... they aren't trolling or flaming.
    my 2 cents
    To me, it seemed more like a marketing by someone selling the product more than an end user (based on the way that this and other threads by this poster have flowed and some of the potential inconsistencies). I may be wrong but that was my opinion. No flame intended.
    I thought the item above 'posted with my Stowaway keyboard and BT mouse' said it all. I made my post just with my Treo. No extra keyboard or mouse needed. I think that says it all.
    (in fact, not to get TOO graphic, but I actually made my post, ummm...on the....throne. No keyboard or mouse needed there). Heh.
    Im a T600 user who will be upgrading soon. I want as much information as possible when I make my decision. These posts are invaluable for getting "real user-end experience". If you read what Hobbes and the other 66xx users have posted, they are sharing what is working for them. The 650 and the 66xx devices are great...lets not stifle any of the discussion. Its what makes this forum so great.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    `the person named Swap` here...

Let me be clear, I have been reading through all the ppc/pda boards, for awhile now. I have been toying with moving to ppc as far back as two years ago. I just kept holding out for that perfect Palm, the 600 nearly fit the bill. I`ve been waiting anxiously for a 650.. if anything, it`s more likely that the negative postings in treocentral`s 650 thread is what made me decide to move to PPC. The reason I`m interested in reading this thread, is that most people here were/are palm users, making the switch, just like me... I can relate. Hobbes take has been invaluable. Unbiased. Appreciated.

So, there you have it. Oh and who knows? I might hate ppc and be back in the treo threads before you know it!

s
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast