Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My last post got moved to 'other handhelds'.

I am very interested, before I drop more cash than I can afford on a handheld, in hearing from the multitude of Treo 650 adopters what keeps them from moving to the SX 66. So, great moderators, please leave this post in the 650 forum, where it is likely to be seen by Treo users.

Now, given that the SX66 has 802.11B, way more ram, Skype compatibility, and lots of the same benefits as the 650, what is keeping people here from migrating? I have very little experience with either M$ Pocket PC or with the Palm OS.

So, I am especially interested in views on relative free application availability, ease of use, elegance, etc. I am less interested in straight out M$ hating (although I have a fair amount of that myself).

Also, I would like to hear from people who migrated from Pocket PC phone edition to 650. Was it worth it? What were the reasons?
    Well, since you don't have much experience with PocketPC and PalmOS, at this point I would suggest that you go with PocketPC. I don't see the PalmOS living beyond 2 more years. It might especially since cobalt is now supposed to be Linux based or something like that, but for the most part, I see the PalmOS dying. Sony has left the market. Handspring was eaten up by Palm. The only major Palm vendors now are Palm and Zodiac and maybe Garmin and Samsung. PocketPC has HP, Asus, Acer, Casio, Dell, Panasonic, iMate, Fujitsu, etc.. Palm's selection of PDA's has also been dwindling. Also, with regards to the amount of available software. Palm may have alot more available software, but once OS6 finally releases, how many of those software's will be compatible?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dster
    So, great moderators, please leave this post in the 650 forum, where it is likely to be seen by Treo users.
    This thread is NOT about the 650 per se, so it therefore belongs in the Other Handhelds forum. If you want to discuss the 650 specifically, then the 650 forum is appropriate.

So, great users, please post in the appropriate forums, where they're likely to be on topic!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    The point is he wants Treo 650 users to see this thread. That's why it's posted in this forum. Please leave this thread here.
    The post appears to be about the SX66 to me, and as such belongs in Other Handhelds.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  6.    #6  
    Wow, tough board.

Here is a thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=65847 which as far as I can tell is exactly analogous to the one I was trying to get started, except it is asking people who migrated from the 600 to the 650 for their reasons.

I guess I'll just keep posting on the 650 board until I find the 'sweet spot'. Maybe I'll copy the 600 thread's first message, just substituting SX66 for 'any pocket PC including SX66'.
    Wow, tough board.
    Well, this is TreoCentral...

exactly analogous
    Not exactly... they're both Treo's.

Maybe I'll copy the 600 thread's first message, just substituting SX66 for 'any pocket PC including SX66'.
    If you want to talk about the Treo, and only the Treo, then the 650 forum is fine. If you want to talk about the SX66, the posts belong in this forum.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  8.    #8  
    ok, not trying to be pedantic, but there are separate boards for the 600 and 650.
    ok, not trying to be pedantic, but there are separate boards for the 600 and 650.
    Thanks for your work Mark
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Thanks for your work Mark
    wow. I guess people here *really* don't want to talk about the relative merits of the two platforms. That's ok. HowardForums has been very useful to me.

Once in a while I sense antipathy on this board to M$ products. I share in a certain amount of hate - in my sometimes roles as software developer and instructor, I have seen first first hand the result of the stifling hold they have put on innovation.

Nevertheless, I assume that many people going to the 650 platform have real experience and can speak informatively to advantages and disadvantages. I hope this thread gets some of that information (buried as it is in this group).
    wow. I guess people here *really* don't want to talk about the relative merits of the two platforms. That's ok. HowardForums has been very useful to me.

Once in a while I sense antipathy on this board to M$ products. I share in a certain amount of hate - in my sometimes roles as software developer and instructor, I have seen first first hand the result of the stifling hold they have put on innovation.

Nevertheless, I assume that many people going to the 650 platform have real experience and can speak informatively to advantages and disadvantages. I hope this thread gets some of that information (buried as it is in this group).
    I love hearing about other phones. I see the mods getting beat up a lot lately and they have to make the best calls they can. Mark moved your post and explained why. I appreciate your involvement here. Things can run amock though and it seems to me that Mark is trying to keep everything in its proper place.
    there are separate boards for the 600 and 650.
    True, and we move threads to/from them as appropriate as well.

I guess people here *really* don't want to talk about the relative merits of the two platforms.
    The whole purpose for the Other Handhelds forum is to discuss the other platforms. Why is this concept so hard to comprehend? It's no different than trying to discuss the weather in the Treo General forum...
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I love hearing about other phones. I see the mods getting beat up a lot lately and they have to make the best calls they can. Mark moved your post and explained why. I appreciate your involvement here. Things can run amock though and it seems to me that Mark is trying to keep everything in its proper place.
    Ok, and I will still do my best to elicit comments from people who are able to discuss the relative merits of the devices I am interested in.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    True, and we move threads to/from them as appropriate as well.

The whole purpose for the Other Handhelds forum is to discuss the other platforms. Why is this concept so hard to comprehend? It's no different than trying to discuss the weather in the Treo General forum...

I guess that when discussing a question of the form 'how does x compare to y', it is unclear to me whether it belongs in forum x or forum y automatically.

In asking this question with respect to the SX66, I imagine many Palm users migrated because they had used an M$ product and found a better experience elsewhere. I would like to hear about these experiences.

Also, I expect that many people who have moved and are happy with their 650s wouldn't go looking in other forums to discuss platforms they've left.
    I expect that many people... wouldn't go looking in other forums to discuss platforms they've left.
    Nor do they (and most others) want to discuss the PPC platform in the Treo forums.

Granted, a fair comparison between the two is difficult at best under these conditions, but if you know one platform or the other, you should be able to easily draw your own conclusions (or would the be confusions? ) just by browsing the forums.
    MarkEagle
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    Well, back on track, I haven't had a 650, but I come for a year's worth of use of the 600 and moved to the PPC-6601 from SPCS. I won't keep it because of the beep issue (unless they fix it in the next 12 hours, but we won't put any money on that). At any rate, the PPS platform is familiar, being a M$ product. I already know a fair amount about Windoze, so the learning curve was short. The M$ system, I think is more capable, though it is difficult to separate it's native capabilities from that of the device which is very powerful. I like the speed of the device/OS combo, the capabilities, the fact that it can run things like Excel and MSWord that I need everyday, web surfing even with 1xRTT is faster than on the T600 so it, in fact, is useable rather than a sidelight as on the T600.

I WAS looking at the T650, but the issues others have raised and even others have beaten to death steered me towards the Win Mobile platforms. This device is a generational decendent of the platforms that have been well tested and received in Europe and I felt that it was a relatively safe time and place to jump.

Like the T600/650, it can be navigated as a one-handed device though its not as intuitive as the Treo family and its a bit larger so that impacts the one-handed use as well.

In short, I probably will finally buy the device from VZN and port over all my phones to their services. VZN business is competitive price-wise for me and EVDO in some of the places I travel to on busines is an added bonus.

In a nutshell:

Powerful device with lots of memory and capability.

Familiar and relatively powerful OS that is not at the end of its development cycle (Bill still needs more money)

Familiar and useful Apps that mirror those that I use on my big boxes.

Something new to learn and try to master.

HTH

Bob Duckworth
    ok..1st.... bob, very disappointed u still haven't just swapped for a new one... could have saved your xmas..
    2nd.. markeagle...u are out of character..remember.. u r good cop, toolkit bad cop.....or r u switching to take turns? oh...hows that little bit about your t650 coming?
    3rd.. if u want this thread seen, just bump it occasionally.....we all look 4 new posts.
    4th... talked to sprint 2day..may get free upgrade to 650.... was pondering ppc6600, but will take 650 if free.
    lastly...howlong was SV banned 4?...he was amusing.
    Johnski:

I'm convinced that it's not this particular device. Hobbes has been thru several and still has the problem. It SPCS and their software stack. Something to do with Data and phone apps conflict as far as I can tell.

Bob
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    I'm convinced that it's not this particular device. Hobbes has been thru several and still has the problem. It SPCS and their software stack. Something to do with Data and phone apps conflict as far as I can tell.

Bob
    Cingular is going to start selling the SX66 after Christmas. Can I glean from your discussion concerning the beep issue that it is a localized Sprint issue and that the Cingular GSM probably won't have the beep issue (since it is caused by Sprint's software stack)
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    This GSM device has been used extensively in Europe and probably will work just fine on the GSM nets in the US. Provided the carriers don't try any strange software incantations, ala SPCS and Data.

Bob Duckworth
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast