Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    He deleted every third line of the object code. Less code = runs faster!
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I currently own the 650 I bought it the week it came out, I think its great but there are a few little things that I want that it doesn't do. The multitasking is the biggest thing I want to be able to chat and surf the web at the same time. I don't do a great deal of surfing, mostly at home so losing EDGE isn't a big deal, I have a wifi network at home. The other thing that is annoying me is that I keep having problems using any and all chat applications on the 650. When my girlfriend is at home she gets kicked off about every ten minutes. I am in a position where I am able to take a SX66 and try it out. It worked great at home and I was real happy it is larger, but I have a V551 that I use for work so that wasn't an issue. My girlfriend took it to her house and we tried out the MSN Messenger that is built in, it work perfectly, never got disconnected and the messages were quick. So I guess what I am asking is other than the obvious, things like size what reasons would I want to stick with the 650? Why would I want the Siemens? I am just looking for some other opinions and other ideas. Thanks
    The both have pros and cons....a lot of them greatly depend on your needs, wants, likes, and perspective. Bottom Line is that if you know what you want and have done your research to what each one has to offer or not to meet those needs, then you are going to be happy.

For myself, I was a Treo 600 lover for over 10 months...and truelly did love my Treo. I have now been a PPC-6601 & 6600 owner for nearly 8 months now. For my personal needs, there is no doubt that the 6600 was the best choice for me. The reasons I really like the 6600 over the 650:

* Large Screen. After living with the ability to view landscape while browsing the web or reading a spreadsheet, I would have a hard time going back to a smaller square screen.

* Large amounts of Memory. I love to be able to install whatever program I want to in memory and not fear for running out of room.

* Being able to install any program in Memory or on SD card without 3rd party software solutions. With Palm several programs are forced to loaded into main memory taking up valuable real estate that you would have rather installed on an SD card if given the choice.

* Wealth of software included out of the box

* BT works great out of the box

Reasons I like the 650 over the 6600:

* Number one is form factor. I do not find the 6600 to be too big for me, but the form factor of the Treo is smaller and has the keyboard always exposed (but you do give up a bigger screen for this).

* Palm OS. This is a pro or con depending on your current 3rd party software you own or if you like Palm over PPC or not

* Good development community. Palm has a strong software development community which is often help to help resolve bugs or specialized utilities.

Bottom line.....6600 wins hands down for me in helping to meet the specialized demands of my job.

But please do not take my word for it because they are both good phones, so please take the time to see which one is right for you....you will thank yourself for the little extra time before laying down your credit card....

Here are several reviews / threads over at TreoCentral that I posted as a Treo Lover who just bought a PPC-660x. There are a lot of responses from both sides as well. Please note that many of the comments for cons for both phones are prior to the last updates that fixed a vast amount of these issues for both phones:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62661

Review of the PPC-6600
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73957

Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66714

Here are some threads talking about 650 vs 6600 (the CDMA version of the same phone) at PDAphoneHome ( the 6600 site on the net):

PPC6601 or Treo650
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...&highlight=650

PPC-6600 worth it?
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/...=650#post309106

PPC6601 vs Treo650

Considering Purchasing a PPC-6600

If you have some common questions about the 6600 that you want to check out prior to making your decision (like software available, FAQs, what accessories are available, etc..) then browse through the links posted in this thread:

Must Read Threads for PPC-6600 Newbies!!!!! (and anyone else who wants to be in the know!)
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/show...&threadid=48609

PPC-6600 / PPC-6601 / XV6600
    http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=168

This should give you at least 50 pages for your reading pleasure that will probably give more information than you bargained for when you asked the question! :
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    That was a great post, I have been reading some of those other threads! I like the web browsing cause I use it a lot at home, there more than any other place. I have a PC but I just don't use it, its nicer to sit outside on the patio or in my favorite easy chair. I don't really have a laptop. SO that gives me a great deal to think about. Thanks again
    Hobbes's posts are a gold mine of information, keep them coming.
    Anyone looked at the Siemens SX66 ?

Built-in
    BlueTooth
    WiFi
    64 meg flash rom
    128 meg ram
    All the other stuff the 650 has.

You can take the cellular SIM out and pop it in another phone. A guy I work with has one of these. When he goes fishing he pops out the sim and puts it in a cheapo phone leaving the Siemens at home in case he loses the cheapo overboard.

Is Palm ever going to get it's head out of the sand and give us something like this?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Don't think it's Mac-friendly.

The SIM has nothing to do with the phone, either.

Besides, hardware specs alone mean squat. Can it read and edit and sync Word and Excel as smoothly as Docs-to-Go? Can it run Planetarium? Can it sync with Filemaker? Can you run it without user-specified memory management (read: Win Mobile)? Does it have hi-res TomTom?

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic

The SIM has nothing to do with the phone, either.

Besides, hardware specs alone mean squat. Can it read and edit and sync Word and Excel as smoothly as Docs-to-Go? Can it run Planetarium? Can it sync with Filemaker? Can you run it without user-specified memory management (read: Win Mobile)? Does it have hi-res TomTom?

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Well it is PocketPC, so it does include Pocket Word and Pocket Excel...

(I prefer Textmaker over pWord though.)

Still in the wrong forum, where's ronbo when you need him??
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    moved
    manorton: can't you take the sim out of a 650 and put it in a cheapy phone right now? How does this have anything to do with Palm (isnt it carrier specific?)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    manorton: can't you take the sim out of a 650 and put it in a cheapy phone right now? How does this have anything to do with Palm (isnt it carrier specific?)
    wondering the same thing...what exactly is the post. Is the a sprint user that is confused because they don't know anything about gsm differences?
    Next Gen what anyways? This thing isn't even new to begin with.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    <merged>
    This topic has been discussed before and yes, there are satisfied users.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 07/31/2005 at 04:57 PM.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    PPC can:
    - Sync with a Mac ( link )
    - Edit/sync with Word/Excel (out of the box)
    - Runs multiple Planetarium programs like this (wow is that a random requirement or what?)
    - Can run Filemaker on the PPC ( link ) or sync with desktop
    - Not sure what "user specified memory management" means. You can manage your memory or have the PPC manage it for you.
    - It runs Tom-Tom 5, but obviously not at 320x320. Instead it can be run in landscape or portrait mode to take advantage of the 320x240 screen dimensions - on the larger (easier to read while driving) SX66 screen.

You missed the easy compare items like:
    - Can the SX66 easily fit in your front pocket? (No)
    - How's the SX66's 1-hand operation compared to Treo? (Weak and requires user modification of standard button assignments)
    - Is the SX66 as good of a phone as the Treo? (Not really, it's more of a PDA with some phone capability)
    - Will the SX66 battery last as long as the Treo? (Pretty well no in all use cases).
    Last edited by Kupe; 08/01/2005 at 04:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    In real life, the battery lasts essentialy the same. On the Sx66 it lasts a day so I have to charge every night. On the Treo it lasts a day and a half, so I still have to charge it every night so I don't end up with a dead treo at midday. So both have to be charged every night anyway.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Yup.

I was being terse, indeed.

But yeah, randomly--

MissingSync, ugh. Feels so wrong. They only need to add different conduit profiles for HotSyncing Bluetooth vs. wired.

No Astronomy software on the PPC compares to Planetarium. At all. Believe me, I stupidly bought into the platform. No longer. Stars and planets are frickin' cool!

Filemaker on the PPC does not sync on a Mac.

Is there a web browser on the SX-- oh yeah. IE at 240 x 320....bwahahaha!!!

320x320 rocks.

Can you run apps off SD Card like the Treo does? Can't remember. Don't really care. Windows = no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    PPC can:

You missed the easy compare items like:
    - Can the SX66 easily fit in your front pocket? (No)
    - How's the SX66's 1-hand operation compared to Treo? (Weak and requires user modification of standard button assignments)
    - Is the SX66 as good of a phone as the Treo? (Not really, it's more of a PDA with some phone capability)
    - Will the SX66 battery last as long as the Treo? (Pretty well no in all use cases).
    MissingSync, ugh. Feels so wrong. They only need to add different conduit profiles for HotSyncing Bluetooth vs. wired.
    I have been using ActiveSync for over 10 months now and have not had on lick of troubles with....nor have any of my friends or co-workers who have PPCs. You can used over a network or Bluetooth, or Wifi.

Is there a web browser on the SX-- oh yeah. IE at 240 x 320....bwahahaha!!!

320x320 rocks.
    It is true that the Treo 650 has a higher resolution. But believe me when I say that the extra screen real estate with the ability to go Landscape while browsing the net, reading a spreadsheet, watching a movie, or playing certain games....IMHO far out weighs the differences in resolution. It basically all comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it and each have their advantages and disadvantages........higher resolution with a much smaller screen, or a slightly lower resolution with a larger screen that supports landscape.

Can you run apps off SD Card like the Treo does? Can't remember.
    I have a LOT more Palm apps that absolutely require to loaded into main memory that is absolutely required on the PPC. I have not worked with any previous versions of the WM, but only with WM2003, and I have at one time or another loaded just about every app I own on my SD card on purpose or for an experiment. So far I have yet to find an app I cannot install on my SD card. That is not a bold or exagerated statement either. I even put 3 different email programs, MS Voice Command (which is probably the most OS integrated program I know of), two different 3rd party internet browsers, etc...., all on my SD card without a lick of problems, though I have since removed most of them and put them in memory for faster loading and use.

This question has been posted by Newbies time and again on several forums (PDAphoneHome, HoFo, SprintUsers, Pocket PC Thoughts, etc...) that I frequent and the answer is generally the same: The rule of thumb is mostly, if you want it to run faster...install in main memory...if you don't care, use the SD card. Do they run slower? Certainly, which is why it is nice to have the LOADS of extra internal memory (128 mb) so I am never forced to load a program onto my SD card that I don't want to. Have there been reported programs errors with SD installations on forums? Certainly. Are there PPC WM2003 that absolutely require to be installed in memory, I am sure there probably are, but none come to mind for the PPC, while a large handful of PALM come to mind.

This not a slam against Palm, simply a fact for some software solutions. How many users here are totally dependent on Zlauncher or TealAlias to trick the Palm OS that the program is actually running in main memory, while it is actually running from the SD card? I think the main reason WM2003 can get away with this more than Palm is due to the Registry, which can point to any location for the program, either in main memory or on the SD card.
    thanks, great in depth description of the PPC experience !

(I meant that ! )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    This question has been posted by Newbies time and again on several forums (PDAphoneHome, HoFo, SprintUsers, Pocket PC Thoughts, etc...) that I frequent and the answer is generally the same: The rule of thumb is mostly, if you want it to run faster...install in main memory...if you don't care, use the SD card. Do they run slower? Certainly, which is why it is nice to have the LOADS of extra internal memory (128 mb) so I am never forced to load a program onto my SD card that I don't want to. Have there been reported programs errors with SD installations on forums? Certainly. Are there PPC WM2003 that absolutely require to be installed in memory, I am sure there probably are, but none come to mind for the PPC, while a large handful of PALM come to mind.
    This is usually the comment from Palm fan boys. Actually Hobbes, you should put your Today plugins into RAM. Journal Bar in fact requires it. But other than that, just about anything can be added via AS to a storage drive or Flash ROM, without doing any type of configuring or third party launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is usually the comment from Palm fan boys. Actually Hobbes, you should put your Today plugins into RAM.
    I used to think that too, Insertion, but my experience with the i730 is leading me away from that viewpoint. I suspect it's a combination of processor speed and internal (memory) architecture, but I've had no problems with any plugins in SafeStore memory on the i730, including Journal Bar.

Maybe I'm just a PPC fan boy!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast