Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, not trying to be a troll.

However: isn't the SX66 pretty sweet compared to the Treo 650? I have heard that people prefer the keyboard on the 650 to the SX66 (aka ......).

The screen resolution is a bit lower, but on paper it has some advantages, most notably 802.11B, 128 MB RAM, existing Skype compatibility, and no built in RealPlayer so far as I know. It goes for $550 with a 2 year plan,
    and I could not find it yet on Amazon any cheaper.

Here are some specs from the Cingular web site:

Unique slider design, QWERTY keyboard
    Connectivity: WiFi (802.11b), Bluetooth®, USB, and wireless data transfer via infrared interface (IrDA)
    Access to Internet, e-mail, and corporate Intranet*
    Audio: WAV/WMA/MP3 Stereo
    64k color touch screen display: 240 x 320 pixels
    Stylus pen in integrated stylus slot
    PC synchronization
    Cingular Xpress Mail Suite: Real-time access to your corporate and personal e-mail
    High performance 32-bit Intel PXA263 CPU, 400 MHz with up to 64 MB flash ROM, 128 MB RAM
    Quad-band world phone: Operates on 850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM/ GPRS networks
    PC-6601 from SPCS, PPC-6600 from Verizon, SX66 from Cingular. The devices are all basically the same: HTC Harrier. The differences will be those tweaks that are carrier-specific and the fact that Cingular included WiFi in their device. Oh, yeah, and so far SPCS is leaking the pack with f___ing this device up with their beeping problem. VZN is good from all reports and even has EVDO available in major airports and some big cities.

Bob Duckworth
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I ordered mine yesterday. It should arrive Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it turns out a few days later.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    PC-6601 from SPCS, PPC-6600 from Verizon, SX66 from Cingular. The devices are all basically the same: HTC Harrier. The differences will be those tweaks that are carrier-specific and the fact that Cingular included WiFi in their device. Oh, yeah, and so far SPCS is leaking the pack with f___ing this device up with their beeping problem. VZN is good from all reports and even has EVDO available in major airports and some big cities.

Bob Duckworth
    Yeah, I know about the zillion incarnations of this product. In addition to the ones you mention, there are a whole pile of European versions. I am most interested in 650 users who have had experience with this or similar products and can discuss relative merits.
    I was going to get this phone, but went with the 650 instead mostly due to the fact that the one handed operation of the Treo is just easier... you can navigate really never need to pull the stylus out or a keyboard for that matter... Although if you can live with it it's supposed to be a great device.

Bob Duckworth
    Bob,

For same service carriers (i.e. GSM Cingular and T-Mobile or Sprint and Verizon) are these phones locked to thier carrier or if not locked, tweaked to a point that you cannot use the phone to another carrier?

Ron
    Ron:

Most carriers will lock any phone they sell to their service. Many of these devices were long ago available in Europe on T-Mobile. They are very expensive in that when buying an unlocked device, you obviously don't have a carrier underwriting part of the device costs.

That aside, another thread on Treocentral detailed how to unlock T600's and maybe T650's from SPCS to work on VZN. It can be done.

Bob
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    I ordered mine yesterday. It should arrive Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it turns out a few days later.
    Did you order it from Cingular? Is it available yet from them?
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA

Bob Duckworth
    It is the XV6600 from VZN.

EV-DO is awesome...the main advantage of all three carriers right now.

The wi-fi can be added via a SD card on the Sprint VZN. For the cingular GSM, you NEED wi-fi, unless you love crawling on your knees on the net.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrack
    I was going to get this phone, but went with the 650 instead mostly due to the fact that the one handed operation of the Treo is just easier... you can navigate really never need to pull the stylus out or a keyboard for that matter... Although if you can live with it it's supposed to be a great device.
    These notions have all been proven false by someone who has actually USED both devices....Hobbes.

Comments about "lack of" or "easier" on the 650, especially for one-hand and navigation come from heresay, and usually no experience on both.

Hobbes states the one-handed use is fine and the navigation is super, and he doesn't need a stylus (his screen was even touch-dead).
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    Did you order it from Cingular? Is it available yet from them?
    They are and have been available from Cingular. Go to their website to check it out, and place your order today.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetLuvR
    It is the XV6600 from VZN.
    Righto. Sorry old chap (best British accent.)

Bob
    Any word on availablity in Stores?
    Quote Originally Posted by schwasj
    Any word on availablity in Stores?
    Ah man, it will probably be months before any of these models show up in an actual store. Hell the T650 is still not in many stores, especially none in mainstream retail stores.

Your best bet is to buy one online.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    They are and have been available from Cingular. Go to their website to check it out, and place your order today.
    Woohoo...just talked to my B2B Cingular rep and she is ordering me one...should be in my hands in 2-3 days. With a 30 day return policy that will give me enough time to try it out. Price is 549.00
    I'm looking forward to trying one of these devices, once a beepless one is issued. But here's a non-starter for me from the Cingular website:

Unlimited data - 79.99
    10mb - 29.99

How do users justify this -assuming you/they have carrier options?
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    These notions have all been proven false by someone who has actually USED both devices....Hobbes.

Comments about "lack of" or "easier" on the 650, especially for one-hand and navigation come from heresay, and usually no experience on both.

Hobbes states the one-handed use is fine and the navigation is super, and he doesn't need a stylus (his screen was even touch-dead).
    Actually, what Hobbes said was:
    "One Handed Operation: I do have to say that yes there is no doubt that it is easier with one handed operation on the Treo."
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by gacajun
    Woohoo...just talked to my B2B Cingular rep and she is ordering me one...should be in my hands in 2-3 days. With a 30 day return policy that will give me enough time to try it out. Price is 549.00
    It's my understanding that's the price from Cingular with a two year contract. Anybody had any luck getting a price from Cingular without a contract? I have called twice trying to get a price and the reps plead ignorance and try to sell me a S66.....
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    It's my understanding that's the price from Cingular with a two year contract. Anybody had any luck getting a price from Cingular without a contract? I have called twice trying to get a price and the reps plead ignorance and try to sell me a S66.....
    I have a contract with Cingular and am very happy with my service and plan to stay with them.....so a 2 year contract for me is a no brainer. I don't know what they would sell it to you w/o a contract...they probably wouldn't sell it to you unless you sign up. I want to try the SX66 and see if its all that everyone says its cracked up to be. If I don't like it I'll return it and get my money back and keep on keeping on with my T600 until Cingular has a GSM T650 and then I'll try it for that 30 plan...see how that works.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I'm looking forward to trying one of these devices, once a beepless one is issued. But here's a non-starter for me from the Cingular website:

Unlimited data - 79.99
    10mb - 29.99

How do users justify this -assuming you/they have carrier options?
    No. You can get Media Works (unlimited data, a bunch of SMS and MMS) for a flat $19.99 a month. You can order it on-line when you order the phone (it shows up as an option) from the Cingular website.
    Jeff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast