Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just ordered the phone from the Business users group. 19.99 unlimited data transfer.

Should ahve the phone in a couple of days and I'll let you all know how it goes.

For teh record I was able to get the 550 price without a two year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    No. You can get Media Works (unlimited data, a bunch of SMS and MMS) for a flat $19.99 a month. You can order it on-line when you order the phone (it shows up as an option) from the Cingular website.
    Thanks for the lead, jglev. I found some related threads here and this is now an option for me.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I ordered mine today from Cingular with no additional service....just the phone, paid 649.99 and it shipped today, arrives the 22nd. I will post how it looks when I get it.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    No. You can get Media Works (unlimited data, a bunch of SMS and MMS) for a flat $19.99 a month. You can order it on-line when you order the phone (it shows up as an option) from the Cingular website.
    I stopped in A Cingular store today and learned that Media Works is not available for the SX66 -it's only for "regular phones". BTW, I see that the MW description doesn't include email anyway. I'd have to get one of the regular data plans or that. Oh well... I'll have to wait for T-M to get its own Blue Angel.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dster
    Yeah, I know about the zillion incarnations of this product. In addition to the ones you mention, there are a whole pile of European versions. I am most interested in 650 users who have had experience with this or similar products and can discuss relative merits.
    I am a Treo 600 user and loved the phone, but switched to the 6601. Here are my thoughts between the two:

Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown

and

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    I stopped in A Cingular store today and learned that Media Works is not available for the SX66 -it's only for "regular phones". BTW, I see that the MW description doesn't include email anyway. I'd have to get one of the regular data plans or that. Oh well... I'll have to wait for T-M to get its own Blue Angel.
    That's not true. Media Works does include e-mail and it is available for the SX66. As a matter of fact, it is offered as an option when you buy the phone on-line, so who ever told you that it isn't available for the SX66 (and any other PDA including the Treo) is wrong and doesn't know what they are talking about. You will see plenty of people here with Treo's and SX66 who have it (just look at schwasj's post a few post up and you will see he has an SX-66 with Media Works).
    Jeff
    I'm looking forward to trying one of these devices, once a beepless one is issued. But here's a non-starter for me from the Cingular website:

Unlimited data - 79.99
    10mb - 29.99

How do users justify this -assuming you/they have carrier options?
    The beeping issue appears only to be with Sprint, due mainly to it being released first in the US. It appears that the others that followed later have a newer update that fixes this problem.

Rumor has it that the Sprint problem is going to be fixed VERY soon with an update. I am now in the process of confirming this with my sprint corp contact.

Data pricing is the main reason I love Sprint. $10 unlimited data. VZN has EVDO now in some areas and expanding coverage this next year.

Sprint is reporting to have already launched it in some areas to finalize their tests for the rollout at the beginning of this next year.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    I ordered mine today from Cingular with no additional service....just the phone, paid 649.99 and it shipped today, arrives the 22nd. I will post how it looks when I get it.
    My SX-66 is being delivered to me by my Cingular B2B rep on Dec 21st!!! Christmas comes a few days early.
    Nokia 6340i-->T600-->MPx220-->Imate SP5
    Cingular GSM, Northeast Georgia, USA
    That's not true. Media Works does include e-mail and it is available for the SX66. As a matter of fact, it is offered as an option when you buy the phone on-line, so who ever told you that it isn't available for the SX66 (and any other PDA including the Treo) is wrong and doesn't know what they are talking about. You will see plenty of people here with Treo's and SX66 who have it (just look at schwasj's post a few post up and you will see he has an SX-66 with Media Works).
    Ok, jglev, I'm persuaded. I'm used to trusting what the local T-M people tell me, but I'll learn who the informed ATT/Cingular folks are around here. Of course, they may all be trained and generously rewarded for selling the 79.95 plan. I'm going away for Christmas, but I'll probably be ordering a Blue Angel with the 19.95 option when I get back next week. I can always cancel within 30 days. Thanks and happy holidays to you and all Other-Handhelders and all TCers.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Ok, jglev, I'm persuaded. I'm used to trusting what the local T-M people tell me, but I'll learn who the informed ATT/Cingular folks are around here. Of course, they may all be trained and generously rewarded for selling the 79.95 plan. I'm going away for Christmas, but I'll probably be ordering a Blue Angel with the 19.95 option when I get back next week. I can always cancel within 30 days. Thanks and happy holidays to you and all Other-Handhelders and all TCers.
    Enjoy your trip and happy holidays to you too!

Keep us posted!
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by rduckwor
    Ron:

Most carriers will lock any phone they sell to their service. Many of these devices were long ago available in Europe on T-Mobile. They are very expensive in that when buying an unlocked device, you obviously don't have a carrier underwriting part of the device costs.

That aside, another thread on Treocentral detailed how to unlock T600's and maybe T650's from SPCS to work on VZN. It can be done.

Bob
    Bob,

I am not talking about T600 or T650 but PPC devices, are they subject to the same locking process? I am interested because in going to Asian countries, the prevalence of WIFI cafe areas makes the PPC platform more usuable, if not cheaper.

I don't want to use lock phones while travelling as I need to change to local prepaid SIM as much as possible. BTW, I just found out that my T600 was locked to TMo.

In using my T600 but I can only access on certain GPRS enabled networks, not all networks allow usage. WirelessModem does not work but PDANet does, although very slow.

Thanks,

Ron
    Ronbo2000, even PPC devices are locked to the phone network provider. But, it really isn't a big deal. You can always have them unlocked. In the UK, almost any cell phone shop will unlock a phone for you (most for free, but not all). Some cell phones require a date synce cable to unlock (you can use the one that comes with the phone most of the time).

If you can not find someone to do it for you, there are tons and tons of sites that will sell you the software and detailed process on how to do this. But I would think you should be able to do a quick search and find a free way to unlock your phone. Good luck.
    oh yeah, if you are a cingular customer...they will give you the unlock code after 6 months for service with them. But if you need to pay someone to unlock your phone it shouldnt cost more than around $40, give or take a few bucks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12