1.    #1  
    I have learned a lot cool little tricks or words of wisdom I have learned with the 660x....

• When the phone rings and you want to see who it is but don't want the ringer to keep playing while you look at the caller ID, just flick the volume button and the ringer stops while the call is still vibrating so you can check the caller ID in silence to decide whether to answer or ignore.
    • Keyboard and 5 way nav works great to look up contacts if you have a huge contact list.
    • You can get to any program or setting with 5 way nav EASIER than with the 650.
    • If you want to jump tabs, i.e. like to System in the Settings Folder, without using the touch screen, on the keyboard hit Tab and then either the Right or Left arrow.
    • I set my settings to always click when I hit a key or the screen. This great if you forgot to turn off your screen before pocketing your phone as you will hear clicking if the case touches the screen. If you are in a quiet enviroment, it is really easy to thumb the volume down so you don't hear the clicks.
    • You can use the numbers on the keyboard with the phone dialer without having to hit Function twice like you have to do access the numbers with any other program.
    Since I am new to the world of PPC......If you have found any cool little tricks let us know!
    Three things to add:

1. Realize that with a wired earpiece plugged in, the phone will ring only through the earpiece (Can't speak for BT ear pieces, but I would guess they're the same.). This can be quite a shock when you have the earpiece in your ear and the ringer volume cranked up. You adjust the ringer volume with the slide switch on the side and ONLY adjust call volume when on a call with this same switch.

2. MS Voice Command really makes this device come alive. Yes, it's $40, but if you plan on keep your PPC, this may be the best bucks you can spend. Kudo's to Hobbes for turning us on to this software.

3. SPB Pocket Plus Is a great enhancement to the "Today" screen. Virtually verything can be accessed and controlled from this screen wih this app running. Its cheap and it works. Only drawback is that it does slow down the response of the device a small bit. Again Kudo's to Hobbes for finding this.

Bob Duckworth
    New BT stack is out. No report how well it works. It might be a good idea to wait several more days. (go to xda dev forum for more info.)

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3409.html
    Bob,

When you say it only rings through the headset (when wired), what if you also have the phone on vibrate mode? Will it vibrate the phone and ring in the headset?

Suskind,

What is the origin of the new BT stack? Is it a hack? Is it for the PPC-6601, the XV6600 or both. I think the first BT stack hack was only for the early Sprint phones.
    Bob,

When you say it only rings through the headset (when wired), what if you also have the phone on vibrate mode? Will it vibrate the phone and ring in the headset?

Suskind,

What is the origin of the new BT stack? Is it a hack? Is it for the PPC-6601, the XV6600 or both. I think the first BT stack hack was only for the early <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=9&k=sprint%20phones" onmouseover="window.status='Sprint phones'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">Sprint phones</a>.
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetLuvR
    Bob,

</a>.
    Don't know. I will try it before I box it up the AM. Going back. Thanks SPCS.

Bob
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    gadget,
    if you have it on VIBRATE ONLY it wont ring through the headset...
    if you have it on Ring and Vibrate, it will do both...ring through the headset and vibrate, but if you manually switch it to vibrate, then it will do just that. i got quite a surprise the other day (right after i read bob's thread mind you) while i was shopping for gifts. i almost had a heart attack it was so loud in my ear. too bad it doesnt remember volume control when you plug in the headphones - that would have been a nice feature
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hate to see you go bob! hopefully it'll just be for a short while until they release the 6600 with all the problems solved. as hatoncat said through other forums, audiovox is working on the beep issue...
    Bob,

Sorry to hear all your hard work is ending in a UPS package, headed back to the factory. I hope to report great things to you about the XV6600 and that you can give it a try. I don't see why you can't get the phones for $399 each like many of us are doing from VZN.

Sledgie,
    Thanks for the info. and the advice. I don't think I will use a BT headset as I think they look very uncomfortable and don't want to walk around everywhere with this star trek thing stuck to my ear. Besides, I always see people yelling out into open space to talk on those things and I can't picture myself looking that ridiculous. Why do people have to scream into those? Is it because the mic is so far away from your mouth? If they had a very small one, I would try it. I also have some hearing loss and I think that having a BT headset stuck in one ear all the time would make it even harder for me to hear things/people around me.

Am I way off base about these?
    Gadget:

Did you buy irect from Cheryl? If so, I might give that try and simply port a single number over to VZN.

Sledgie:

Yes, that was quite a treat when it rang thru the headset!! I had it in my one good ear and thought I might lose hearing in that one.

Thanks guys for all your support. As far as hatoncat's report that he was working with AudioVox, we had a bit of a heated exchange on his web site rergarding my complaining and his telling me that fixes were in the works. The AudioVox update was reported to be available by the end of the month (Nov), so far its vaporware. and spcsinfo.com is off my list to check.

Thanks for the support, I will likely be back to the PPC from one carrier or another.

Bob
    Bob,

Sure, go through Cheryl, (heck use me as referral), and port over a single number to see if you like it. YOu have 45 days to play and return. If you like it, you can stay and port your other numbers. If not, port you single number back to sprint and hold out for the fixes.

It is certainly worth a try. You have already spent countless hours on sprint and the ppc-6601 issues. I can't see how 30 minutes with VZN would be wasted in any way. It might change your life. I was hesistant to change, and I have no idea how well VZN will be for me. But, I had to change from Sprint due to the beep issues and the poor responses you were getting (Hell, I should have used you as a referral).

Let me know if I can be of help. I know Cheryl can hook you up. The price is right, she might even makes you some better deals for all the trouble you have been through with Sprint, and for multiple lines. They have some flexibility.

good luck and don't be a stranger either way. You have been on my computer screen all day for over 2-3 weeks and your posts are always helpful.
    Thanks Gadget. I'll email her and give it a try later this week.

Bob
    Tip request:

-how the heck do you turn on the speakerphone quicker than the 4-5 second press of the send button? When I answer a call, I'd like it to pick directly up to speakerphone, or at the very least, like with the Treo you hit answer, then spacebar. Right now, there is a 5 second delay between pickup, and speaker initiation. Also, if I do this too quickly after picking up, the mic stops working all together and the caller can't hear me even though I can hear them.

That is really the only annoyance I've found with my XV6600WOC.
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    New BT stack is out. No report how well it works. It might be a good idea to wait several more days. (go to xda dev forum for more info.)

http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/3409.html
    Does this apply to the Verzion version, the XV6600WOC??
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    Does this apply to the Verzion version, the XV6600WOC??
    officially, it doesn't. but most patch, unlike ROM upgrade will work on same devices.

-------------

anyway, ROM upgrade finally out for i-mate. (I-mate only, not carrier branded)
    http://www.ppcw.net/?itemid=2192
    New Tip: Automated Voicemail dialing.

Not sure how this works on Sprint, but on Verizon, when you call in to your voicemail, the first thing the computer asks you for is your password (a 4-digit PIN) ". . . followed by the pound (#) sign." You can automate the voicemail login by inserting a pause (to account for voicemail answering delay) then sending the PIN all as a part of your dial in. For the Verizon phone (not sure if this works for Sprint):

1. Go to the phone application
    2. Select Tools-->Options
    3. In the setting dialog, select the voicemail entry and type in *86pp1111#
    (*86 = *VM or voicemal, p = pause about 3 seconds, 1111 = 4 digit PIN - use your own, #= "the pound sign") Use as many "p"s as you need to get it to work (you may have to experiment).
    4. Result: Voicemail answers, welcoming speech is interrupted and I go straight to the new voicemail listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    New Tip: Automated Voicemail dialing.

Not sure how this works on Sprint, but on Verizon, when you call in to your voicemail, the first thing the computer asks you for is your password (a 4-digit PIN) ". . . followed by the pound (#) sign." You can automate the voicemail login by inserting a pause (to account for voicemail answering delay) then sending the PIN all as a part of your dial in. For the Verizon phone (not sure if this works for Sprint):

1. Go to the phone application
    2. Select Tools-->Options
    3. In the setting dialog, select the voicemail entry and type in *86pp1111#
    (*86 = *VM or voicemal, p = pause about 3 seconds, 1111 = 4 digit PIN - use your own, #= "the pound sign") Use as many "p"s as you need to get it to work (you may have to experiment).
    4. Result: Voicemail answers, welcoming speech is interrupted and I go straight to the new voicemail listing.
    Just to add to this, if you replace the "*86" with your actual phone number, it is handled as an "in network" call rather than a toll call (for example 9225551212ppp1234# ). Since my plan includes unlimited in network calling, voice mail checks are free!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonWilliam
    Just to add to this, if you replace the "*86" with your actual phone number, it is handled as an "in network" call rather than a toll call (for example 9225551212ppp1234# ). Since my plan includes unlimited in network calling, voice mail checks are free!
    Wow Jason,

That is one of the best tips yet; it works and it saves lots of money, plus my callers now don't have to wait until after 9PM for me to check my messages and get back to them. It falls under the, "why didn't I think of that" category. Very smart.

Thanks.
    Jason,

You left out the # before the passcode. It should be 9225551212pppp#1234# (it takes 4 p's on my phone)