Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hey guys and gals,
    to those of you who have the ppc or xv 660x, congrats. i have a queston for you all. i've had my ppc unit for about 3 weeks now, very satisfied. i've become quite accustomed to the keyboard (although it took me almost 2 weeks) and the only prob i ever have is the beep on a phone call every so often, although i keep forgetting to turn data/vision off so i'm not sure if thats still the real cause behind it...but..
    my question is about the socket wifi sdio LowPower card. i recently got on off amazon for about $50after MIR and it works well - i havent downloaded the new drivers off socket's website however, but...
    i have only been able to get about 30kbytes per sec on download streams, this is about 3 times my sprint speed, but i'm not satisfied. i know i'm jumping the gun because i havent downloaded new drivers but - has anyone been able to stream movie trailers off microsoft's media player 9 website? try loading up media player, hit that music/world button in the upper left hand corner, and goto the wifi link using your wifi card and try to stream one of the 300k streams... i keep getting buffering problems and i just want to know if its because of drivers or site overload. i'm on a 3.5mb line so i should not have any probems.. and i'm wondering if i need to tweak the socket card and drivers OR if this ppc is capable of fast bus speeds via the sdio slot. its a pxa263 processor so i thought it was 2 or 4bit bus slot. anybody familiar with the slot speeds or technical info of the pxa263 chipset? i guess ppl who bought the gsm/imate pda2k version have faster wifi speeds because of the built-in card? afaikafaikafaik, $i$ $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $stream$ $almost$ $live$-$tv$ $to$ $my$ $ppc$ $via$ $wifi$. $any$ $help$ $or$ $suggestions$ $would$ $be$ $greatly$ $appreciated$. $maybe$ $anyone$ $with$ $a$ $sdocket$ $card$ $can$ $run$ $some$ $tests$ $via$ $dslreports$? $although$ $i$ $have$ $found$ $thats$ $not$ $always$ $accurate$ $and$ $depends$ $on$ $time$ $of$ $day$.
    sledgie
    I have the same card and it works great also on my 6601, but I have not had a chance to have much fun with it...only business stuff.

I'll be watching to see what others have done with it...
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    yeah i downloaded the new socket drivers and can only maintain a 1mbps with my router.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    hmm ok this is what i've found out from a networking friend - 11mbps is the highest speed the card can maintain with a router - but that is optimal and AT BEST situation. for instance, if i have a 100mbit router (networked with other computers via ethernet cards/cords) the max i should be able to get is about 10-12megs per second. This is under the best conditions. I usually get between 6-8 depending on the situation, but i guess the 10 megs is a "burst" speed, similar to EVDO- 2.4mbps? not constant 2.4mbps but a burst of data.
    Anyway, I have a DLink DI-524, which may or may not be the culprit. Sometimes I get 11mbps, sometimes 5.5mbps, but usually it stays connected at 1mbps. The interesting thing is, when i start downloading off the web, it usually doesn't increase in the Socket WLAN connection settings screen. You can monitior the connection now in Socket's new drivers, but all I see is 1mbps and I'm not getting more than 20, 25k per second. Which as I stated earlier, is about twice what Sprint's is. - How about I hear from the other people using Socket's card and what your connection line max bandwidth is (mine is 3.5mbit so I should have no problem streaming 30k per second since my max is about 300-400k) and what router you are using. As I suggested earlier, if someone would goto media player 9 and press the world/music button upper left corner, hit the wifi link, and try to stream the machinist 300k or one of the other 300k trailers and tell me if it buffers or if it doesnt work in your media player. I'm hoping this is just a router problem on my end or i have not configured my card correctly. Thanks in advance,
    sledgie
    mine shows 11mbps even at 55% signal strength with my wireless router at home. I have the MS MN-500 router.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    One thing I like about the TreoCentral 66xx Links is that you can find info on just a few pages. So here is a good link whick may come in handy.

Find free WiFi spots chick here for ffree wifi spots